Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0705  (Read 801 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0705
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
Robservations #705

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0705

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Judith rescues Edith from Quentin's bullying. She tries to get Edith to tell her the secret, but Edith displays her practiced skill at playing the sibs off against each other. Only Edward, as the eldest, can know--and you are much better off not knowing, she finishes, her voice trembling. She refuses to explain, and tells Judith, You mustn’t tell even that much to the others. Let them keep on feeding their anxiety, she says scornfully. Later, Judith and Quentin have yet another argument in the drawing room. Quentin mocks her childhood habit of ratting out on him to Edward. Judith retorts that he's afraid of Edward. Quentin retorts that Edward couldn't scare a mouse.

We get our second-ever (but not our last) look at the Collinsport train station (not seen since Episode 1) as the camera favors us with a closeup of a beautiful young woman (KLS!), Rachel Drummond, dressed for travel. She is Rachel Drummond, the new governess of Edward's children. LE, sporting a waxed mustache as Edward, has brought her from Boston. Edward's child-raising policy is a laissez-faire one--Rachel make whatever schedule she likes. Rachel says, I’m looking forward to meeting them--and Mrs. Collins. Edward starts, then says, You had no way of knowing. I should have told you before we left Boston. There is no Mrs. Collins. Then she died? Rachel asks, prepared to offer her sympathy. I’m sorry. Edward replies stiffly, There is no need to apologize. Mrs. Collins no longer exists. I shall put it that way and leave it that way. How should I explain to the children? Rachel asks. Sooner or later they’ll ask, and-- Edward replies, You should just tell them that Mrs. Collins is away. They must learn to forget her--as I have. We hear sounds indicating the arrival of the carriage. Come along, Miss Drummond, Edward tells her. She looks a bit frightened as she follows Edward.

Quentin is about to sneak upstairs again when Barnabas arrives and tells him that he hopes to live at the OH. Quentin says that's really up to Edward, not Judith. Judith arrives and gives Barn a warmer welcome. He has brought a small gift--one of Naomi's jewels--for Edith. Quentin eyes it appreciatively, although we don't get to see it. Barnabas explains, It traveled to England with the “original” Barnabas and was handed down from generation to generation. The present head of the family in England asked me to give it personally to the head of the family in America. Why didn’t you say so before? Quentin asks. Barnabas promptly answers, I was too busy defending my good name--from you. Quentin nods an apology and returns the case. Now Judith thinks that a visit can be arranged after all and invites Barnabas upstairs. Quentin points out, Isn’t Grandmama too ill for company? Who knows, Judith suggests, adding pointedly, Perhaps the sight of a _gentleman_ might do her some good. Barnabas indulges in a little secret smile as he follows Judith upstairs. Left alone, Quentin glares with hatred at Barnabas’s portrait.

Edward is most unpleasantly surprised to find that Quentin has returned. Quentin is very pleased with Rachel, looking her up and down boldly.

Upstairs, Judith prepares Edith for her visitor. Downstairs, Edward and Quentin continue arguing in the drawing room. We find out that Edward had banished Quentin and wants him gone again by tomorrow night. But Quentin says that Edith invited him back--probably at Jamison's persuasion.

Upstairs, Edith is sitting up as Judith fastens a lace shawl around her shoulders. As Judith brings Barnabas into the room, she explains, We keep the room dark because the light hurts my grandmother’s eyes. I understand, Barnabas says. Edith commands Judith to open the drapes, then they hear the carriage. It must be Edward, Judith says. Edith exclaims, I must see him! Go get him! Judith hurries downstairs. Alone with her visitor, Edith says, Well, young man [LOL!], I understand you have brought me present. I’m not used to such thoughtfulness in this house--not since my husband died thirty-four years ago. [[spoiler]This would be the wheelchair-bound Gabriel, whom we will meet much later and who (1) never would have given his hated wife a gift; and (2) killed her back in 1840 because the writers forgot they would need her now! He died shortly afterward, not in 1863!] [/spoiler]Barnabas tells the Naomi-heirloom story again, and Edith asks his name. Barnabas Collins, he replies. Now troubled, Edith repeats, Barnabas Collins. Come into the light so I can see you. But if his face was his passport into the family, now it could be his undoing. Shocked speechless at the sight of him, Edith puts her hand to her heart. Barnabas asks what’s wrong. You! Edith gasps, pointing at him. _You_ are the secret! Horrified, Barnabas gasps, No! Edith wails with growing horror, Passed down from one generation to the other! You were never to be let out! We have failed! We have failed! Barnabas tries to plead with her to stop talking and takes a step closer. Utterly terrified, Edith brings her hands up to her throat and cries, Don't come near me! Don't come near me! I--I know--I know what you are! I must send for Edward--send for Edward and--warn him. He must take you away. He must--take you away and--

At this point, as Edith thrashes about on the bed, someone knocks on the door. Edward steps into the room. Edith calls out, Who is that? Edward tells her his name. Quickly! Quickly! the old lady cries. Barnabas steps away from the bed and and back into the shadows as Edward hurries to his grandmother’s side. Edward asks Barnabas, What happened? My sister said our grandmother was fine just a moment ago. I don’t know, Barnabas lies. Edward asks Barnabas to leave them alone. It’s imperative that I be alone with my grandmother now! he says. Barnabas reluctantly leaves as Edith cries, Please, Edward! Holding her hands in his, Edward asks, Can you hear me, Grandmother? The poor old lady can barely say his name; the rest of her speech is incoherent. Tell me the secret, Edward begs her desperately. You must tell me what the secret is!

Outside, Barnabas leans against the door, just as desperate, listening with all his might--and terrified that he is about to be exposed....

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
[spoiler]Edith's mention of her husband dying 34 years before and the fact she is alive now makes me consider 1840 another PT, but that is just me.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:31 AM »
[spoiler]I think there's such back-and-forth time travel that something much more interesting could be worked out than just having 1840 be PT or something separate from main history.  Besides, the changes they make in 1840 affect 1971, so it's RT.  I was sure that Gabriel's name had been mentioned by old Edith, but no, so are we even sure this Edith is the same person as 1840 Edith?[/spoiler]

Grandmamamama was very cool-headed.  She took her strangling well.  I Hoopes was excellent in her short pivotal role on DS.  They've revalidated DS with castings like this-- the sloppy days are over.  Every scene was thought over and inspired, something to be treasured in repeat viewings, not just put on air and forgotten.  It's like a film or novel.

Welcome Eddie Baby!!  (Pyhton bit.)  And Rachel!  They love replaying situations in different eras on DS, and they seem to be replaying [spoiler]Roger-Laura as Edward-Laura even more than I realized now that I've seen Laura storyline #1.  They even hint at her disappearance being strange or supernatural, with this "no longer exists" business, though Ed turns out not to know anything about her supernatural status.[/spoiler]

Egad... Quentin commits attempted murder, and no uproar, no call to the cops, no chase... it's just typical Quentin and his usual hijinks, for them?!   I love how we get one quick glimpse of Quentin's genuine fear of Edward, when he pours a stiff one for himself after seeing Ed approach!  Alcohol acts very quickly on Q... he's back to his overconfident self after one swallow.

Rachel gives Collinwood a long, complicated eyeful, a la Maggie's first gander at the foyer after having heard about the house all her life.  We'll have to compare this to Kitty's visual assessment later.   Q to Ed: "It's about time you said something!" after Quentin's long leering monologue, LOL...

Here it comes... great classic moment... Edith: "YOU'RE THE SECRET!!!"   The whole history of Collinwood becomes so much more deep and solid and epic and real with that moment.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
"YOU'RE THE SECRET!" has to be one of my favorite TV moments from anything ever.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »
Now that you mention it, she could be a different Edith, who along with her husband, was brought in to take care of Gabriel & Ediths children as they were deceased. 

[spoiler]I think there's such back-and-forth time travel that something much more interesting could be worked out than just having 1840 be PT or something separate from main history.  Besides, the changes they make in 1840 affect 1971, so it's RT.  I was sure that Gabriel's name had been mentioned by old Edith, but no, so are we even sure this Edith is the same person as 1840 Edith?[/spoiler]