Author Topic: NODS  (Read 6111 times)

LorraineAAB

NODS
« on: December 04, 2003, 06:40:52 AM »
I would imagine your parents wouldn't have been thrilled by Night of Dark Shadows, either, what with: (Spoilers galore for those who would be spoiled)

[spoiler]**Quentin attempting to rape, then drown, his nice new wife, while cheating on her with a floozy ghost dressed only in the Sexy Nightgown of Death, and somehow finding time to paint the world's UGLIEST pictures !
(Which non-talent he inherited from an adulterous ancestor.  He also inherited the house--- and the ancestor's girlfriend.)

**A truly un-PC portrayal of a mentally-challenged psychopath caretaker who ALSO tries to rape the nice young wife, has road-rage issues, and is the exploited boy-toy of the floozy ghost in the Sexy Nightgown of Death, with his own aunt as pimp !

**It is implied the aunt's previous incarnation was under the unwholesome influence of the floozy ghost when she was a LIVING floozy.
It's clear the adult version has a fixation on the ghost, chock-full of kinky subtexts.

**The artist's best friend gets some unwanted succubus attention when the floozy ghost tries to smother him with the Sexy Nightgown of Death.

**The nice young wife has to help kill the Special Ed-psycho caretaker.

**Floozy Ghost wins the whole shebang, everyone ends up dead, and all without EVER changing out of the Sexy Nightgown of Death. Nihilistic bummer, or what?[/spoiler]

Now, mind you, I LIKE this film better than the other, but all the sexual violence was creepier than the ketchup-blood spurting in HoDS, because, darn it, stuff like that DOES happen every day.

Maybe it's just as well DS was off the air when this was released.  The people who protested HoDS might have stormed the studio !

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:NODS
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 08:35:15 AM »
I would imagine your parents wouldn't have been thrilled by Night of Dark Shadows, either, what with: ...

My mom didn't see hoDS until she took me and a friend to see NoDS, hoDS and Vincent Price's Cry of the Banshee as a triple bill at a local drive-in in August 1971. She hated the blood and gore of hoDS, but basically because that wasn't her sort of thing. But she enjoyed NoDS and never really saw anything wrong with having taken two 15-year-olds to see it. And mind you, we'd seen the R rated 97 minute version that was mistakenly circulated in many New England theaters instead of the 94 minute GP (PG today) version with which most fans are familiar.

but all the sexual violence was creepier than the ketchup-blood spurting in HoDS

If anything, the level of sexual violence, indeed, sexuality in general was much higher in that 97 minute version, as anyone who has been lucky enough to catch the times Darren Gross' has shown some of the NoDS restoration footage knows..

(Personally I can't wait to see what Darren has planned for the Tarrytown Weekend. I'd love to see the seance sequence again. Even without its sound, it's incredibly enthralling and (no pun intended) haunting...)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 04:47:31 PM »
Darling MB,

Darren is showing NoDS clips at Tarrytown next year???

Gods, I just *may* have to attend--even though the Roger Davis alert is set to a truly terrifying ORANGE level.

My Mom also hated DS, but she grew to hate it long before the movie ever came out.  It was the same as what others have reported--every time she saw the show, there was something really gruesome going on.  Mom still has a lot of sensitivity towards violence.  A couple of years back, my Dad and I were watching a TV broadcast of the restored Spartacus, and after a bit she asked if we could turn it off, because it was so violent and it was upsetting her (I think she actually retired to her bedroom at this point).  I was surprised, given how stylised and balletic the violence in that film was compared to what's done in routine police dramas today.

Mom actually banned me from watching DS back in 1969, and watching it in secret was the first real act of parental rebellion I can remember.  I was a real goody-two-shoes as a child... the nastiness was festering beneath the surface of course... heh heh...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 11:04:09 PM »
Darren is showing NoDS clips at Tarrytown next year???

Well, it's been a while since I've spoken/exchanged e-mail with Darren, so I'm simply assuming he will be doing the presentation because he's been the only person to do so thus far. However, the tentative schedule simply states events will include: "screenings of the recovered 'Night of DS' footage".

But if I'm mistaken, I'm sure Darren will clear up any misconception whenever he gets the chance...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 11:11:39 PM »
Oh, they already have a schedule up on the website?  My, that's impressive.

I just hope the NoDS feature doesn't turn out like the showing of the precursor to DS, "The House"... or the 1966 version of The Crucible with Thayer David and Clarice Blackburn, which was announced TWICE in successive years and never materialized... or the many other things that were supposed to happen and never did at various Festivals!

Wonder whether Pierson would be interested in having me present something about Grayson Hall?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 11:20:42 PM »
they already have a schedule up on the website?

I'm not sure it the tentative schedule is up on the Fest Web site or not yet, but it was included in the latest SG Online Update.

Darren's NoDS presentation at the 2001 NYC Fest was sort of cut short/hurried along because the schedule was running late (no surprise there  ::)), but none of them have been canceled so far.

Wonder whether Pierson would be interested in having me present something about Grayson Hall?

It couldn't hurt to ask. You know I'd be right there in the front row for it!  ;)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 01:06:20 AM »
The NODS footage/Tarrytown thing is extremely tentative at the moment and nothing concrete is planned yet.

Whether any lost footage is shown is still up in the air and has to be worked out in further discussions.

If all goes smoothly, I'll be there to show something NODS related but no idea if and what at this point.

What clips that I've shown previously are the most popular and would you want to see?

I felt the ones at the California one a year or so back didn't seem to illicit much of a response and I wouldn't want a dead program.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 02:27:02 AM »
I would imagine your parents wouldn't have been thrilled by Night of Dark Shadows, either, what with:
[spoiler]* the exploited boy-toy of the floozy ghost in the Sexy Nightgown of Death, with his own aunt as pimp !

The Sexy Nightgown with the Bustier of Steel pushing those buppies up higher than they've ever been!

Aunt. .are you talking about the departed Mrs. Stoddard mentioned in the first scene but never seen?  Carlotta is not Quentin's aunt, she just the housekeeper, a creepy well dressed and coiffed housekeeper.
Julia99

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 02:49:40 AM »
Gerard isn't mentally challenged- he just has a stutter.

He's definitely deranged though and seems to have learned to drive in L.A.... ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 02:59:08 AM »
He's definitely deranged though and seems to have learned to drive in L.A.... ;)

Heheh.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 01:27:44 PM »
I wonder if they got the Sexy Nightgown of Death from Ohrbachs?  The Bustier of Steel, though, definitely has a Junior Sophisticates look about it.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 01:48:13 PM »
I wonder if they got the Sexy Nightgown of Death from Ohrbachs?

From what I remember of Ohrbachs,  they were more likely to have carried the Muu-muu of Death... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 04:27:56 PM »
Hi Darren, I'd definitely like to see the Seance sequence.  I haven't seen any of your NoDS presentations so really I would like to see ALL of it, if there's time.

How's this for an idea:  get the actors to read their lines from the script while you run the clips.  There probably wouldn't be enough rehearsal time (or maybe ANY rehearsal time) for anything like a sync-up, but it would certainly add a novel flavor to the presentation!  I'd be willing to bet that David, Lara, Johnny and Nancy will be there, and perhaps somebody could stand in for Kate--Donna, perhaps?  NO, *not* Roger Davis!

Steve

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 04:34:04 PM »
Oh, and of course, we'd have to get someone to portray The Divine One (Ms. Hall to you).

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 03:05:29 AM »

It couldn't hurt to ask. You know I'd be right there in the front row for it!  ;)

Count me in for that!  I'll be there with my "I (heart) Grayson" sign, shrieking like a teenage girl at a David Cassidy concert!

John