Author Topic: #1189/1190: Robservations 12/02/03: Prison Break!  (Read 1158 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1189/1190: Robservations 12/02/03: Prison Break!
« on: December 01, 2003, 11:27:50 AM »
1189- 2:50 - Foyer - Joanna, having apparently avoided being throttled by Gabriel, comes downstairs at Collinwood, dressed in her cape.  Did you see your sister? asks Gabriel, wheeling over to her.  No, I couldn't--do you have any idea where she could be? she asks.  I'd be the last to know, says Gabriel, but when I see her, I'll let you know--it's obviously quite important to you.  I thought if I could see her, we might be able to do something to help Quentin, says Joanna.  Why would you want to help a man who is condemned, a man who has no right to appeal? asks Gabriel.  I should think you would try, remarks Joanna.  I happen to be in mourning, as you know, he says, a man who has recently lost his wife has other problems (yeah, explain that to your kids!)  Quentin is going to die! cries Joanna.  I'll let your (wife?) know if I see her, says Gabriel, wheeling himself into the drawing room.  Joanna follows--what about the wing of the house your family doesn't use? she asks--does anyone go in there?  No, why? he asks, guarded.  I thought I heard someone there last night, she says, someone opened the door.  No one goes in there, he says, that had to be your imagination.  I'm sure I heard the door open, she says.  I wouldn't think about it if I were you, he says, although it might have been a ghost--did you know that wing of the house is supposedly haunted?  She grins--I don't believe in ghosts, she says, and leaves the house.  From his breast pocket, Gabriel pulls out the rope he was going to use to strangle her, working it in his hands.

Jail - Yes, of course I'm glad to see you, Quentin assures Joanna--please don't take it personally, I've just been doing a lot of thinking about the trial, my sentence, and the worst and most difficult thing of all is looking at people, seeing the look in their eye--"how's Quentin taking it, is there anything I can do to help?'  That's what I'm here for, she assures him.  There isn't any way, he says.  There is, she insists.  The worst thing about it is Desmond, says Quentin, poor man--he tried to help me by taking my case, now he's down the hall in a cell just like this one--if they found me guilty, they're going to find him guilty.  We can take Desmond with us, she says--I thought and thought, I even bought a pistol, but I was afraid to bring it, I knew they would search me.  You never take a chance like that, warns Quentin.  If you can manage to break out of jail, she says quietly, I can have everything worked out.  You're serious, aren't you? he asks.  Yes, she says, tonight at 11:30, there's a boat in Indian Cove, I know the captain--he's willing to take us to England--us, I said us, Quentin, it's not a mistake--you can be free.  What about Daphne? he asks unhappily.  You can talk to her when we get to England, says Joanna, whether you want to see her or not, you can send for her--you've got to be at that fishing shack--it's your only chance.  Quentin thinks it over, walks away from her. Why do you hesitate? she asks--we must do this.  I'm thinking about my son, he says, if I do this, it will be an admission of guilt.  You're mad, she says, you can explain to him when he gets older--please!  All right, he says, I'll be at Indian Cove at 11:30--I don't know how but I'll be there (she's delighted)--now listen to me, he continues--you get the guard and tell him you want to see Desmond--tell him everything we've talked about--go back to Collinwood and tell Daphne that I'll send for her--promise me you'll tell her.  But she's not there, says Joanna.  All right, says Quentin, find Leticia and tell her.  But I don't want to tell anyone I don't have to, protests Joanna.
Desmond would want Leticia to know, says Quentin--then you try and find Daphne--you'd better go, you have a lot to do.  Be careful, darling, she says, reminding him again to be at the fishing shack.

Fishing shack - Told the news, Leticia is thrilled to hear Joanna's plan--I've been pondering and pondering what I can do about Desmond and Quentin--and you have it all figured out!--oh, me, and they say I got second sight--11:30.  The light leaves Leticia's eyes when she has a premonition--I have a feeling it isn't going to work--they're never going to get on that ship. But they must! cries Joanna.  No, says Leticia, something is going to happen.  Don't even say things like that! begs Joanna.  Sweeping her feelings aside, Leticia admits, you're right, I shouldn't, I don't even know what I was thinking--yes I do, I'm not ever going to see Desmond again after tonight.  You can come with us, Joanna assures her.  You mean you're going? asks Leticia--what about Daphne--and Quentin?  Uncomfortable, Joanna says, you barely know me--I care very much about Quentin.  But Quentin loves Daphne, Leticia reminds her.  He's infatuated with her, yes, says Joanna, but she's so young and beautiful
--but he'll realize he belongs to me when he gets to England.  Leticia looks skeptical.  "He will, Leticia, he will!" insists Joanna.  Have you told her? asks Leticia.  The less people that know about it, the better, says Joanna--don't stare at me like that!  Sorry, luv, says Leticia, hands on hips, I was just wondering why you wanted to tell me.  Quentin and Desmond wanted me to tell you, explains Joanna--Desmond wants you here at 11:30, you can come with us!  No, says Leticia.  There's room on the ship! protests Joanna.  Desmond ain't asked me, she says, and I couldn't very well be standing here with my bags packed and find out he just wanted me to wave goodbye--but I'll be here when they come.  Where are you going now? asks Joanna.  I've got an errand to do, says Leticia.  Promise to keep this a secret, begs Joanna, they're both in such danger.  I won't do anything that will make things worse for Desmond or Quentin, promises Leticia--and thank you for telling me.  Joanna closes the door to the shack after Leticia leaves.

Drawing room, Collinwood - Where can little Daphne be indeed? Gabriel asks Leticia--I had no idea how many friends she had--and the way she charmed herself into our little circle--but perhaps she's made an enemy.  What do you mean by that? asks Leticia.  You know our friend Gerard better than any of us, says Gabriel--she's missing, so is he.  Exasperated, she says, I wish you would come out and tell me what's on your mind.  You haven't heard what's happened tonight, he says--picture the scene, dear Leticia, hysterical Daphne in Edith's bedroom, Gerard enters, Daphne grows more hysterical, she hits him over the head and leaves him unconscious in Edith's bedroom.  Daphne did all that? asks Leticia.  Gerard was rather angry when he left in search of Daphne, says Gerard.  He's so fond of Daphne, says Leticia.  Ah, yes, but there is a relationship between love and hate, says Gabriel, and our Gerard has quite a temper.  Leticia agrees--lately, he has had.  I think Gerard has something to do with Daphne's disappearance, opines Gabriel. You honestly think...begins Leticia.  Living in this house, says Gabriel, I can only expect the worst!  Upset, Leticia insists we've got to find her, we've got to!  We? asks Gabriel, I really don't know how I'm going to do that with these legs of mine.  It's 11 o'clock, notes Leticia.  What the devil has time got to do with all this? demands Gabriel.  Nothing, she says, it's just that it's so late and I'm so worried about her--what can we do?--I don't know what to do.

Quentin notes the time, too, and bangs for the guard.  What's wrong with you? demands the guard.  My stomach, says Quentin, doubling over--it's the bloody food you've been feeding me--you've got to get me something for it!  There's nothing wrong with it, insists the guard.  There is, says Quentin, falling to the cot.  The guard enters the cell to check on him. Quentin ably knocks him out with his fist.

Quentin takes the guard's keys and leaves his cell.  He frees Desmond, too.  Did you kill the guard? asks Desmond.  Not up for murder yet, says Quentin, come on.  The guard comes to and grabs Quentin, grappling with him.
Desmond comes to help, but ends up being shot.  Quentin fights with the guard, knocking him out again.  Quentin goes to his wounded cousin, who is huddled against the wall.  Go without me, urges Desmond.  Come on, orders Quentin, we're going together.  Together, Desmond moaning in pain, they escape jail.

Fishing shack - Joanna anxiously checks outside and reports to Quentin and Desmond, Miles is signaling--the boat is coming ashore.  Quentin is checking Desmond's bloody chest wound.  Go...go, Quentin, mutters Desmond.  You're going to be all right, Quentin assures him--Joanna, he says quietly, we are going to take Desmond with us.  There's no doctor on the boat, protests Joanna.  I said we're taking him, says Quentin, he'll die if we leave him here.  Desmond is muttering Leticia's name.  We aren't going anywhere until Leticia gets here, insists Quentin--we're going to wait for her.  Where is she? asks Joanna.  Leticia arrives--Quentin, Daphne has disappeared, she reports--Gerard has her.  This is horrifying news to Quentin.  Leticia notices the injured Desmond--"Oh my God!" she cries--"Oh, my Desmond!"

Desmond smiles at Leticia.  She covers his wound with a handkerchief--we can't take him anywhere, not like this, she says.  Quentin agrees
--and I can't go, either--because of Daphne.  I'll go to Collinwood, find Julia, volunteers Leticia--she'll know what to do.  She leaves.  Quentin gazes down at his cousin and says, "We almost made it, didn't we, old man?--almost but not quite--free for an instant--free enough to run, but not free enough to forget."  You're talking about Daphne, aren't you? asks Joanna sadly--you're not free of her.  I've got to get to Collinwood, insists Quentin, heading for the door.  You can't, says Joanna, please, you'll be captured there, they'll kill you--the police will be at Collinwood--you can't forget about Daphne?  No, I can't, he says, what I'm going to tell you is the truth--I did a lot of thinking in jail, and I came to realize I couldn't live without Daphne--so whatever future there was, if she wasn't with me, it really didn't matter--you understand?  Yes, she says--I thought the past could be our future--I was a fool.  Joanna, he says, I don't want to hurt you anymore than I have.  At least get on the ship, she pleads.  I can't, he says, you've got to understand that.  Then none of us will go, she says--I've got to tell Miles.  I'll take you to the boat, says Quentin.  They head off, Quentin insisting, I've got to figure out where to find Daphne.

Desmond is breathing heavily when Leticia returns.  She kisses his hand--Julia is coming, she assures him--I found her at the Old House--she had to go to Collinwood to get her medical bag--is the pain very bad?  No, he says, shaking his head with a weak smile.  I don't believe you, Desmond Collins, she says.  It's not when I hold your hand, he says.  I knew, she says tearfully, that something like this was going to happen.  You shouldn't be here, he murmurs.  Where should I be? she asks.  What if the police come? he asks.  They'll find me at your side, she vows.  We might have been on that ship together, he says.  We? she asks.  In England, just once more, you'd have like that, wouldn't you? he asks.  You meant for me to come with you? she asks--oh, Desmond--she kisses his hand--"I didn't know!"  Why do you think I told Joanna? he asks.  I didn't know, she says.  "I love you, Leticia--there I said it, I love you."  And I love you, she says, kissing him.  He falls back, in agony.  Of all the strange things to happen, this is the strangest, he says, me finding you now.  She kisses his hand again.

On foot, Gabriel goes to the East Wing and hears his own voice saying, "The last of the brandy--and I'm sure the other bottles are all locked up--has Mother given you the keys, Stella?--then I'll have a time!"  Gabriel gazes through the parallel time room doors and sees himself talking to Stella, who is writing at a desk, telling PT Gabriel, she hasn't given me the keys.  Oh, yes, she made that mistake with the last secretary, laughs Gabriel, but what Mother didn't know was that the last secretary liked to drink as much as I did--he laughs--the best old times--are you fond of brandy, Stella?  I never touch spirits, she says.  Oh, says Gabriel, Mother chose well.  I must finish this accounting, she says.  Am I making you nervous? he asks mockingly--do you think that all of us Collinses are strange?--well we are, you know--has mother laid down the ground rules yet?--about what rooms not to go into--keep your door locked at night--obviously, she has--I'd advise you to do it--make no mistake--do it.  Why? she asks, why should I lock my door?  That is the question, isn't it? he asks--I keep mine locked at night.  Do you know the reason? she asks.  People in the village say we're proud, all of us Collinses, that we keep to ourselves because of pride--he laughs--oh I think you'd better leave, Stella, because if you don't, you'll end up just like us.  This is a job, insists Stella, I have no intention of leaving.  You don't? he asks.  I've got to finish this accounting, she says, your mother will be angry.  In other words, I've interrupted enough, he says, setting his glass down on the desk--all right--I shall go pursue my only hobby--and do you know what that is?--picking locks--there's a cabinet downstairs in the drawing room, and that's where they keep all the brandy for the company--the company that never comes--and I'm the nicest of us all--well, I warned you--he leaves.
RT Gabriel, stunned, watches Stella rise, shaking her head, and starts to close the doors in his face.  Oh, it's you! she says--did you just come in?--why don't you answer me?--have you been hiding behind the door all this time?--why do you have that knife in your hand?--what's wrong with you--put down that knife!--get away from me, leave me alone!  NO!"  The door closes in his face.  Gabriel bangs at it, yelling, let me in!

NOTES:  Sounds like poor Stella was getting murdered in parallel time, but Gabriel can't help her.  Looks like his counterpart is a drinker and lout in PT.  Bad penny on both sides.

Cute, touching scenes between Desmond and Leticia.  They make a nice couple, and Barrett and Karlen look great together.  Will he live?  Will he and Quentin escape or get re-captured. Leticia's premonition is, I fear, correct.

Given how murderous he is in RT, why does Gabriel want to help a stranger in PT?

Why does Joanna think she can go back to the past and have Quentin loving her again?  She tried to manipulate things so she could be alone in England with Quentin, but now he's told her the truth.  Will she be so anxious to help him now that she's lost him romantically?

Great prison break there, at least for DS.

1190 - Daphne struggles against her bonds in the East Wing.  Gabriel continues to pound fruitlessly at the door, and when he finally opens them, the room is empty.  He looks around inside.

Leticia rips up cloth for bandages for Desmond.  Quentin and Joanna enter.  Has the boat left? asks Leticia. Yes, replies Quentin, he had to sail because of the tide.  You should have left without Daphne, insists Joanna.  Joanna! chides Quentin, you know I couldn't do that--how's Desmond, Leticia?  Julia's with him now, reports Leticia, he's very bad, I'm afraid.  He's going to live, isn't he? asks Quentin.  He's got to, insists Leticia fearfully, he's just got to!  (I gather Desmond and Julia are in another room.)   Joanna, says Quentin, I must go to Collinwood.  The police will be there, looking everywhere, she warns him.  If I've lost her, I've lost everything, says Quentin, do you understand that?  I understand so much more than I did before, she says, I returned to Collinwood to be with you--because my feelings had not changed, I assumed yours hadn't--but they have!--I know now that you're every bit as much in love as I am, but not with me
--I accepted that the moment we didn't get on the boat.  I'm sorry, he says softly.  Don't be, she says.  He smiles slightly--I have an idea, he says--it may be possible that you might be able to help, because you're free, I'm not.  Yes, Quentin, she says eagerly.  Go to Collinwood and talk to Gabriel, he says, he's never had any love for me, but he may be able to help--just because he wouldn't want Gerard to end up getting Daphne.  I'll do everything I can to find Daphne, promises Joanna--if she's at Collinwood, I'll find her.  Just be careful, cautious Quentin.  She leaves.  Quentin paces the shack, gazing out the window, and finally joins Desmond and Julia in the other room.

Gabriel sits on the bed in the room where he has imprisoned Daphne.  I've told you everything I know about that strange room, I don't understand it anymore than you do, she says.  I wasn't thinking about that room, he says.  What were you thinking about? asks Daphne.  You, he says.  She looks at him--what about me? she asks.  I was thinking how curious it is that you can live under the same roof with someone and not notice certain qualities, things about them, he says.  Like what? she asks.  Like your eyes, he says, they're really beautiful--there's an innocence about them--it's easy to miss innocence in this house--he rises from the bed--I can see exactly why Quentin and Gerard were so attracted to you.  He kneels, looking at her face.  She shakes her head--"Can you?" she asks.  Yes indeed, he says lustfully.  It's really a shame all this has happened to you, says Daphne, I mean you've been forced to do such--you were even forced to bring me here.  Why do you say that? asks Gabriel.  Well, she says, there's no point in going into it--you wouldn't believe me now.  Say what you were going to say, he insists, please.  I was just going to say that I've always thought that you're probably the most misunderstood person in the entire house, she says.  He rises--the most underestimated, he adds.  That too, she agrees--and  now that I see you out of the wheelchair, I realize people tended to overlook the fact that you're really a very attractive man. He stares at her--do you really feel that? he asks.  Yes, she says.  Why didn't you tell me that you were sympathetic to me before? he asks.  That would have been impossible, she says, you were a married man.  Oh yes, married to a pig that reviled and despised me every day she was alive, he says--but she isn't alive anymore, is she?  Not looking at him, Daphne says, Edith shouldn't have treated you the way she did.  She learned her lesson, didn't she? he brags.  He drops his hand to her shoulder and squeezes it--if you were Edith, how would you have treated me? he asks, squeezing and releasing her shoulder.  I've had tried to understand you, she says, lying as best she can, and helped you when I could.  I believe you would do that, he says, kneeling behind her--oh, Daphne, I think I just might change my plans about you--he begins to kiss and nuzzle her cheek and ear.  Yes, he says, kissing her over and over, I think after I get my money from Gerard, I'll just keep you with me
--oh, I'll be so good to you, Daphne, I'll give you anything you want--anything you want.  Her face contorts with disgust; when he swivels her face to kiss her mouth, the pretense is broken.  She cries out her aversion, sliding her lips away.  Realizing that she was lying to him, stringing him along, Gabriel stands.  You didn't mean anything you said? he cries, not a word of it--you lied to me--you don't think I'm attractive, you think I'm nothing, like Edith and everyone else--let me tell you something--I'm going to give you one chance to prove that you're nice--and mean it!--and be nice to me!--one chance to be nice to me, or you'll be dead--he stuffs the gag back in her mouth, leaving it loose--I promise you he'll be back, maybe in a few minutes, maybe a few hours, but I'll be back.  She struggles against the bonds, holding the gag in her mouth with her teeth.  Spotting the lit candle, she bounces her chair toward it, finally getting close enough to hold her bound wrists over the flame.

Joanna returns to Collinwood--I'm looking for my sister, she tells Gabriel.  Have you heard that big brother Quentin has escaped from jail? he asks.  Yes I have, she says.  The police were just here searching for him, says Gabriel--I thought that was a rather daring thing for him to do--I didn't think he had it in him.  Quentin asked me, says Joanna--he said you might be able to tell me where Daphne is.  Gabriel, perturbed, asks, have you spoken to Quentin?--do you know where he is?  Yes, she says, I do, but if you tell anyone, I'll deny it.  I wouldn't do that, Gabriel assures her, it would give Gerard Stiles too much satisfaction--you should have seen Gerard's face when he found out Quentin had escaped--he looked like a doomed man--he's out there right now, with the police, searching for him--unfortunately, the weather won't help matters.  Do you think Gerard might have had something to do with Daphne disappearance? asks Joanna.  In front of the police he was terribly concerned about Daphne's disappearance, says Gabriel, but I think that was a cover-up.  Assuming he is responsible, says Joanna, what could he have done with her?  I don't know, says Gabriel, you'll have to give me time to think about that one.

Daphne succeeds in freeing one of her hands, then unties the other.  She uses the gag as a bandage for her burnt wrist.  She listens at the door, breathing heavily with fright, recalling Gabriel's promise to be back--maybe in a few minutes, maybe a few hours--but I'll be back!  I've got to get out of here! cries Daphne, running to bang at the boarded up window.  She drags down what appears to be a servant-summoning sash and behind it finds a lever.  She gives it a pull, opening a secret door leading into a brick-walled area.  She picks up the candle she used to free herself and goes in, closing the door behind her.

Foyer - Do you think Gerard could have harmed Daphne? Joanna asks Gabriel.  I don't think Gerard would do that, replies Gabriel, I think this move of his is purely sadistic--he doesn't want Quentin to see Daphne before the execution.  Then there's a very good chance he has her right in this house, suggests Joanna.  I don't know, says Gabriel.

Daphne walks through a corridor, shines a light on a skewed portrait, and becomes tangled in some chains for a moment.

What about the closed off East Wing? asks Joanna--there's not supposed to be anyone there, but when I was there the other night, I'm sure there was.  No, says Gabriel, I'm sure Gerard wouldn't take her to the East Wing.  There wouldn't be any harm looking again, says Joanna.  No, but I think you should check her bedroom first, says Gabriel--we can't be sure it was Gerard--Daphne could have left on her own--maybe she went to her bedroom and left something there to bear that out.  Daphne wouldn't go anywhere without telling anyone, says Joanna--I'll look again, just in case.  She heads upstairs, leaving Gabriel alone.

Daphne continues walking with her candle, opening a door, going into a corridor, walking, walking...  She finds herself back where she started from, and realizes she passed this area once before and has just gone around in a circle--I'm lost!

On foot, Gabriel finds Daphne gone.  Frantic, he checks the window, finds the sash on the floor, then the secret lever, which he opens to reveal the door.  He goes in.  Joanna has found the room, too, ropes hanging from the chair and a plate of half-eaten food.  She was here, Joanna thinks to herself as Gabriel listens from the other side of the secret panel--she was being kept in this room!  She leaves.  Gabriel continues on, searching for Daphne.  Daphne, her candle dangerously low, hears footsteps.  She drops the candle and backs into a table, knocking down a pitcher.  Gabriel hears the sound and looks for her; Daphne hides behind a chimney, pressing herself against it desperately.

Fishing shack - Quentin, Desmond is sleeping, reports Leticia.  Any change in his condition? asks Quentin.  No, she says, he's still very weak--he's lost a lot of blood--Joanna still hasn't come back?  No, says Quentin, annoyed, she's been gone three hours--I'm beginning to think something has happened to her.  Don't start imagining things, says Leticia.  Then why isn't she back? asks Quentin--all she had to do was talk to Gabriel.  Maybe she's onto something, suggests Leticia--maybe she's found out where Daphne is.  Maybe Gerard's gotten to her, says Quentin, I've got to go back.  Leticia grabs onto him--don't go back, she begs--you've got to stay!--there are police and townspeople out looking for you everywhere--if you was to go out now, you'd get yourself killed--please stay a bit longer--Joanna will be back--I'm sure of it.  All right, he says, if she does, what is she going to tell me--that Daphne's dead?--alive?--or simply that she's gone forever?  I believe in fate, says Leticia, and I believe that fate meant for you and Daphne to be together, just as it meant for me and Desmond to be together.  You really believe that? asks Quentin.
Yes, she says softly.  Why? he asks.  Because I must, she says--if it is to happen--she begins to cry.  Quentin hugs her.

Joanna continues to search for her sister, calling to her--can you hear me?--it's Joanna!--if you can't speak, make a noise!  She hears voices from the parallel time room, what sounds like Leticia telling someone, "You always know the answer to things."  Then Gabriel replies, "Oh, that's not true, but it's very flattering."  "I'm sure you can tell me what I want to know," says the Leticia sound-alike.  Joanna listens at the door, then knocks and opens it.  "I want you to tell me what happened to Mother's secretary--to Stella," says the young girl, dressed in a brilliant orange gown, who sounds like Leticia, but obviously isn't.  Joanna gazes at the PT pair, including a non-crippled Gabriel, and puts her hands to her mouth in astonishment.

Gabriel, you're walking! cries Joanna.  PT Gabriel helps himself to a drink from a secret hiding place in a clock.  She tries to enter, but can't--why can't I get in? she wonders.  "Leticia, can you hear me?" calls Joanna.  Gabriel closes the door in the clock with his foot and pours himself a shot.  Answer me, Gabriel! demands Joanna.  What are you pouring from that canister? asks the Leticia look-alike.  What do you suppose I'm pouring, Melanie? asks Gabriel, pouring himself another.  Don't be angry with me, begs Melanie.  I'm drinking liquor, says Gabriel with a flourish, drawn barleycorn, my poppet, part of my private stock which is secreted in this house, all over the place.  He sits down and stretches out his legs, still sipping.  I never knew liquor came in a canister, says Melanie.  It's my latest piece of deception, he brags, I think it should last perhaps a month before Mother finds out--or before you tell her--which I wouldn't do if I were you.  Why don't you trust me? Melanie asks sadly.  My dear, I don't trust anyone, he says, except this--he holds up the glass of booze--I think this is the only reliable thing in the whole world--he drinks.  I've never told on you before, you know that, she says.  You know what I think? he asks, I think you'd just as soon slit my throat as look at me.  Stunned, hurt, Melanie murmurs his name.  I don't know--maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't, he says, going over to refresh his drink, who cares?  I've tried so hard to be friends with you, she says, as he lights a cigar in a candle.  He chuckles--friends, yes, he says, but not brother and sister.  He blows smoke at her.  You never get tired of reminding me, do you? she asks, hurt.  What else is there to do in this life? he asks, the only thing that gets you through this bloody awful mess is to know who you are and where you're at (?)--I am a Collins, you are not a Collins, you have the name because you were adopted--you're not one of us--don't you ever forget it.  With you here, says Melanie, I don't see how I can.  I'm sorry, he says, maybe I'm doing you a favor by constantly reminding you--maybe you'll find out one day that it's good not to be a Collins.  He pours himself another drink.  I don't think so, says Melanie--Gabriel, you still haven't answered my question--what happened to my mother's secretary--to Stella?  Nothing happened, she just went away, that's all, says Gabriel--sitting down, smoking.  Without giving any notice?--why? asks Melanie.  Haven't you lived here long enough to know that you can't ask questions around here? says Gabriel, putting an arm around her--they're never answered.--things that happen just happen, and it's not healthy to ask questions.  I don't understand so many things that happen here, she laments.  Don't try, he advises, examining his cigar--just try to understand that yesterday my mother had a secretary named Stella, today there is no Stella, she just went away from Collinwood and she's not returning--that's the end of the story and of our official conversation.  He pops the cigar in his mouth and closes the doors, leaving Joanna wondering why he called Leticia "Melanie"
--what's happening here?--Daphne, I must keep looking for her.

Daphne continues trying to find her way out of the maze--it's hopeless!--I have no idea where I am is or how to get out--for all I know, I've just been going around in circles.  She notices lightning flashing through the bars on what is apparently an outside door--foliage has grown through the bars.
Outside in the storm, for a few heady moments, Daphne thinks she's free--until she is grabbed by a laughing Gabriel, who puts his hand over her mouth to muffle her screams.

NOTES:  Gabriel PT doesn't seem much better than Gabriel RT, but so far as we know, he's only a drinker who is cruel to his adopted sister, Melanie.  What happened to Stella?  Did he murder her, as Gabriel RT might just murder Daphne when we return tomorrow?

I sure would have loved to see Julia actually treating Desmond.  Why did it have to take place off-screen? We can be sure she would approve of Quentin and Desmond escaping and doing everything she can to help them.  It would have been nice to see her "doctoring" Desmond--and maybe there would even have been a flash of bare chest, given where his wound was.

Daphne's daring attempt to make Gabriel think she liked him fell apart when he tried to give her a real kiss.  If only she'd been able to keep her disgust in check, for just a little while, she might have escaped him.  Then again, I think if I were in that position, I'd have let him kiss me--and more--to ensure my escape.  I couldn't help but feel sorry for Gabriel, who is under the impression, correctly, that everyone despised him, including his own wife and father.  No wonder he grew up so twisted.

Is Daphne next to die?  Who will save her?  Joanna?

Love, Robin