Author Topic: Why Doesn't Dark Shadows Get More Respect?  (Read 586 times)

David

Why Doesn't Dark Shadows Get More Respect?
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
I pose a question in the latest edition of Barnabas' Column in Fangoria:

www.fangoria.com/new/barnabas-column-11-why-doesnt-dark-shadows-get-more-respect/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Why Doesn't Dark Shadows Get More Respect?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:55 AM »
I think the main reason is because today (and even 10 or 20 or even more years ago), people think of only what's around today, the "true-blood syndrome" (TBS).  Everything is judged by today's "standards."  Anyone today (or 10 or 20 years ago) looks at the "cheesy" special effects (which were monumental at their time) and the "foibles" of the OS-DS (and we've all criticized those, even though we love the series).  Everything is now judged by what we do "right now," not by what made the right-now possible.  You still take pen to paper and write a letter and stuff it into an evelope and lick and stamp?  How silly!  Today, you "facebook" or else you're not "trendy."  You don't even use a computer anymore to facebook someone; you use an app on your smart-phone - at least for "right now."

Those who live by today's at-the-moment standard don't realize that DS set the standards for today's remaining few soaps and plethora of vampire series, novels and movies.  It was the first soap to utilize exterior filming, named-stars, elaborate sets, scored music (as opposed to some organ) and special effects.  But they don't know or appreciate that.  It provided inspiration for countless other works, including Anne Rice's (which she admits and is forgotten by so many).  For those raised on its descendents, there is no understanding of how it revolutionized creative writing and filming.  They just don't know about those things.  They only know about the "right-now" that can be found on their smart-phones.  And, of course, they're only looking those things up while they're driving because they can't live for one minute unless they're "socially connected" and I have to swerve in order not to end up becoming another statistic while they finger away.

Gerard

David

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »
very well said, Gerard. Please feel free to post in the comments section at Fangoria.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:47:54 AM »
For a vintage television series roughly two years away from its fiftieth anniversary, I would say DS carries quite a bit of cachet, or "cred" or whatever you want to call it.  When you think about the other series that were big at the time, such as PEYTON PLACE and THE BIG VALLEY, and especially when you compare it with any other daytime TV artifact from 1967-71, DS occupies a unique position in what we'll call current cultural discourse.

Fact:  DS was, and to my knowledge remains, the ONLY soap opera ever to be issued IN ITS ENTIRETY to home video format.

Fact:  Not only did that happen in a period running from the late 1980s through the early 1990s, DS became the only daytime series ever to be rerun IN ITS ENTIRETY on a popular network--not just once, but TWICE... on the Sci Fi network.

Fact:  Not only has DS never, ever gone out of print on home video (and that's a truly incredible fact if you follow the vagaries of cult film releasing on various formats), it was even re-released on DVD in order to keep up with the times.  I had presumed that only a small group of really dedicated fans would buy it, again, on DVD, but in FACT, it became even more popular in that format, and subsequently, via streaming where this has been enabled.

Even more amazing fact:  thanks to the posts by Midnite and MB on this board, we're aware of just how often DS is referenced in the mass media.  REALLY often for a series that might be perceived by some as the misfit kids' answer to STAR TREK.  Most of the references are along the lines of this:  "in a scenario reminiscent of classic vampire soap opera and its brooding hero Barnabas Collins..."

Further fact: whatever one may think of Depp Shadows, it was made, distributed internationally, had a huge profile and made money for the studio... perhaps not enough to be declared a hit by the suits, but certainly a more-than-just-respectable performance.

With all those facts impressively lined up--and I could quote more, but why bother--if some brainless media twit who can't remember anything that happened more than two weeks ago passes a disparaging comment about this revolutionary series and cultural phenomenon, one that has stood the test of time and become acknowledged as a justly-acclaimed media classic... well, frankly Miss Scarlett, do I care?

G.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »
If not for DS, there wouldn't have been sympathetic vampires such as in Anne Rice books, Buffy, Angel, Vampire Diaries, etc.

I understand that the popular geek oriented Big Bang Theory has mentioned most cult shows/movies except for DS though.