Author Topic: PT 1970  (Read 1189 times)

David

PT 1970
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
Did the fans accept the PT 1970 story, which had no connection to the series whatsoever? Barnabas' reasons for staying in PT after he was freed were flimsy, to say the least.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: PT 1970
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
His reasons for going to PT in the first place were flimsy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

David

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Here's my long held belief as to why the writing got so bad in 1970 after the brilliance of 1795, 1897, the first Laura story, the Quentin/Beth haunting, return of Barnabas, etc:
they didn't care anymore.  They were exhausted and wanted out.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
I don't think his reasons for going were flimsy because given his PT counterpart's life, Barnabas hoped that he wouldn't be a vampire in PT. Odder things could have potentially been possible when crossing the PT time barrier.

As for his staying, well, no doubt he related to people who looked exactly like the people he loved back in RT - and he could certainly relate to an Angelique persona creating havoc in people's lives.

And as for fans, speaking personally, I can say that 1970PT is one of my favorite DS storylines - and when it comes to at least some general fans, they also liked the storyline as well because they wrote letters into the various daytime fan magazines to say things like how happy they were that DS had gotten back on track after the fiasco of Leviathans. And I never came across any negative letters.

David

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »
I thought the storyline with PT Angelique & Stokes was a real honest to God chiller, and Chris Pennock/Elizabeth Eis were wonderful in the Jekyll & Hyde knock-off, but it felt like a different show. These stories had no connection whatsoever to "our people".
But at least 1970 PT had some scary moments (unlike the uber-dull 1841 PT story) and made sense, unlike 1840.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
I didn't particularly care for the "Jekyll and Hyde" component of the period. and wished "main cast" was around a bit more...

but otherwise 1970PT was my favorite of the "late" storylines and an all around favorite as well. I really loved the overall "atmosphere" of the period. the "normalcy" and formality of the day to day atmosphere at Collinwood. it certainly had the ghostly elements of the series in general but it wasn't about a bunch of monsters running around. it was sort of a darkly dystopian dysfunctional upper class family that was in a way slightly evocative of the early days of the series.

Lara was given a great pair of roles to play. great "supporting" work by Elizabeth Eis and Paula Laurence. a stupendous performance by Grayson as the diabolical, blood chilling "Hoffman". even the "heightened reality" of the setting and costuming with it's brighter-than-usual palette lent it distinctiveness...

I even appreciate the highly derivative, almost verbatim retelling of the "Rebecca" story.

overall a great storyline.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
yes, Eis and the wonderfully theatrical Paula Laurence were quite good.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
I don't see the writers caring very much, then ceasing to care.  That doesn't make sense without other big factors making that happen.  The writers couldn't just do anything they liked.  Dan Curtis would force storyline ideas on them that were sometimes impossible to write well for.

The quality of DS kept going up and down throughout its run.  Often the quality dipped apparently because they were concentrating far more on preparing the upcoming storyline and getting that one right, than they were on the present storyline that was running out of steam.  1967 got pretty embarrassing and dismal I think, right before they went back to 1795, and then the quality shot right up...

Creative people don't just stop caring.  Maybe changed working conditions and the strain of working on a complicated show that had to produce every weekday, those might have burned them out for awhile.

I think 1968 gives off a sense of apathy far more than 1840 does, but I'm in the minority on that.  Continuity suffered in 1840, but it was very well crafted and those in charge definitely cared then.  PT 1970, I have no idea.  Just stealing the plot of Rebecca was unforgiveable to me.  The writers probably had no choice in that though, and their enthusiasm went up and down during these periods I suppose.  For awhile no one will seem to care, then they'll hit a pocket of story with a few interesting challenges and possibilities... the writers will wake up and get engaged for a week or two.... then that will have run its course, and it's back the plodding stuff again...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:03:10 AM »
Other than the Jekyll/Hyde storyline (save for the brilliant Ms. Eis), I really enjoyed PT1970.  I just wish they were able to do more with the characters who had to be temporarily written out to head to Lyndhurst for filming.  I would have to say that my favorite characters were William and Carolyn Loomis.  What a brilliant change from their NT characters.  Oh, to have them been fleshed out more.  One of my favorite scenes was when Mrs. Carolyn Loomis, descending into an alcoholic stupor after you-know-what happened, lamented about her life.  As I said, brilliant - so absolutely brilliant.

I had posted before that it would've been great if they had expounded more on how PT1970 was different from NT in a more general way.  Was Mr. Nixon president?  Had there been a Cold War going on?  Was Gilligan's Island still on the air and Mr. Schwartz forgotten to do a series about a lovely lady meeting a man named Brady?  Ms. Eis' character did have a TV in her apartment (the only time a set was ever shown on DS).  Did she ever watch The Galloping Gourmet who, in PT, was from Ireland rather than Australia to learn recipes?

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 03:04:23 AM »
As I have posted many times, I am a big fan of PT 1970.  IMO all the DS storylines had their highs and lows.  I know most fans think of 1795 as the absolute high point of the series but, as I've often complained, the scenes of Vicki's trial and her romance with Peter just go on and on and I find it all... stupefying.  The trial sequences in 1840 were better handled, with better pacing and writing--I will give it that.

1968 is my personal favorite storyline but there are points where there is an awful lot of Adam whingeing away and threatening anyone present with extreme verbosity, and again, lots of Vicki and Jeff.  As far as I am concerned there are MANY strong points that redeem that storyline's occasional longueurs--among them the performances of Thayer David as Professor Stokes, Humbert Allen Astredo as Nicholas, Lara as Cassandra and the glamorous Marie Wallace as Eve, the most EEE-vil woman that ever lived.  Anytime Grayson is onscreen with one of the aforementioned, it all gets kicked up an extra notch of fabulosity.

I know a lot of people think the Petofi storyline went on too long in 1897, but I personally love every moment of it.

In PT 1970, some of it is rather contrived or poorly written.  My favorite guest players are Paula Laurence and the phenomenal John Harkins, with extra marks for Colin Hamilton as the Inspector.  Favorite performances:  Grayson as the ruthless, icy Hoffman; Louis as the twisted Roger; Lara as Angelexis; Karlen as Will Loomis, alcoholic writer; Thayer as Tim Stokes, occultist and mad scientist.  Nancy's work as Carolyn Loomis may have been the most sophisticated acting EVER seen on the series, bar none.  Her work along with Grayson and Thayer's are to me among the ne plus ultra high points of the entire run.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
I also like PT 1970, although it does get off to a rocky start with Quentin's pains and/or suicidal urges, which went on way too long. But all the performances you mention, Gothick, are outstastanding. I would also add Paula Laurence--I've always been disappointed we couldn't have more of her, but hopefully she got a better offer from someone else. She certainly deserved it.

Most of the Cyrus/Yaeger stuff is okay too, especially Elizabeth Eis.

But I have to say I'm one of those who think the whole Petofi business was just too, too much. I was glad when people started dropping like flies after the arrival of-- well, I won't say here.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
Another great John Harkins portrayal, DarkLady!

cheers, G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
Indeed!  [easter_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »
A little aside here.  You'll enjoy PT1970's John Harkin in one of the greatest comedic scenes in the history of televsion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I04DkMEps

Gerard

David

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:35 AM »
YES! Brilliant! [easter_smiley]