Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0689  (Read 570 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0689
« on: April 25, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
Robservations #689

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0689

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
Happy happy Quentin pictured during voiceover.... Why have David free the werewolf?  As a way of punishing himself for disobedience or for not wanting to play The Game, by werewolf attack?  Is it like Dad making you go and make your own switch to be beaten with?  When Barnabas turns up at the mausoleum because of his convoluted reasoning about someone freeing the werewolf as in David's story... they actually refer to the other time Barnabas found David there.  While Mr. Frid's more engaged in this episode, he's engaged almost as bad Barnabas.  It's as if that's the context he's grabbed onto to know how to act the scene, the days of bad Barnabas threatening David.  So it feels as if he's building up a dark stormcloud to unleash on David, then he starts speaking sympathetically, because he's not actually bad Barnabas anymore.  Strange.

This is a better episode in the vein of the Vigoda ep's, plenty of reflection, mood, depth, the required stillness to take in what's happening... without the tension level of those ep's.  David's more doom-laden than frantic.  The scenes with him and Maggie were well written and acted.  Poor David.  Maggie makes interesting, intelligent observations to Barnabas about David.  No Ned, that helps.

The Drawing Room is overturned, Q sets David's arm on fire, his laugh is heard by Maggie... end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
Quentin is positively smirking with anticipation as David starts to open the secret panel. Barn arrives just in time. Maybe Barn is being so severe in order to find out what David knows.

GH gets a day off, since Julia appears not to have kept her promise to wait up for Barnabas. He does have a nice scene with Maggie, though. He promises to find out what's going on with the kids. Be patient and understanding with the children, and above all, don't be frightened, he finishes gently. Then Maggie gets another idea: David had Vicki Winters to take care of him for a very long time, she recalls. In her anxiety she fails to notice that Barnabas has suddenly found it necessary to look away. Perhaps he’s having trouble accepting me, she says, her innate sweetness shining through. It’s nothing to do with you, Barnabas assures her. Why don’t you go upstairs and get some rest. He turns to leave, but gives her a concerned look over his shoulder before he walks out the door.

Poor David is so frightened that he throws himself into Maggie's arms but still refuses to tell her anything.

Chris tells Barn that when he's his "other self," he expends enough energy to kill an ordinary man. But he didn't trash the coffin this time. Maybe Barn had Willie repair it in case he needs it again? Chris tells Barn how Sabrina became the first person to see him transform. Gloomily Chris decides he has to leave town so he won't hurt anyone else and confesses that he loves Carolyn. If you leave now, Barnabas says, there's no hope for you at all. There's none if I stay, with Ned around, Chris replies. He intends to avenge his sister's death, and I can't blame him for that. Barnabas reminds him, We found a way to contain your violence--we'll deal with Ned. No, Chris says. He's a man with too much purpose, and he'll hound me until he kills me. He might have come close the other night. He probably poisoned my drink. I doubt that, Barnabas says. Ned claims he only showed up last night. He’s probably lying about that, Chris replies. He won't confess the truth. It will be much easier to deal with you if Ned isn't here to kill you, Barnabas says. [WTF? But funny!] Barnabas leads the way out of the mausoleum.

Another great scene as David awakes to find Quentin glaring at him. Desperately he tells Quentin, I tried to obey your orders, but Barnabas stopped me. You never told me what was behind that secret door. What was it you wanted me to let out? As usual, Quentin doesn't respond. Was it something bad, David asks, something you would have been ashamed of? If we're such good friends as you say we are, why won't you let me go? [A truly sad moment, with David Henesy at his very best.] I don't like it when you hurt people, he says. It makes me feel guilty. Oh, Quentin, he bursts out, won't you let me go! But Quentin only moves closer.  David tries to hide under the blankets as the ghost holds out his hands as if to throttle him.

It has been a busy night for Quentin as Elizabeth and Maggie find that someone or something has trashed the drawing room.

Quentin grabs David's arm, and he screams in pain. Maggie hears his screams--and then Quentin's laughter as David Selby makes his vocal debut.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
A last batch of screen caps and/or set ups for this ep for this go-round have been posted on the "Caption This! - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" boards. And the three latest put up for captioning could easily be subtitled "The many faces of David."  [ghost_wink]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
I don't think it was convulted reasoning at all on Barnabas' part....David WAS about to free the werewolf. I didn't think Barnabas was so much severe towards David as he was concerned...he did not want the wolf out to kill David or anyone else for that matter. It was interesting that Barnabas should mention the last time he found David at the mausoleum though this time his motives in finding out what the boy is doing there are far more pure.

I do like that scene between Barnabas and Maggie. Perhaps another intentional contrast on the part of the writers [spoiler] from the early days when Barnabas tried to make Maggie his next Josette, then wanting to kill her when he was so scared that she would remember what he was back then and expose him. [/spoiler]

I like to know how Barnabas intended to get Ned Stuart out of Chris' hair....Ned really wants to see Chris and he knows Barnabas and Julia are Chris' friends....I don't think getting rid of Ned is going to be as easy as Barnabas may think it will be.

Really nasty of Quentin to do that to David. Poor kid.