Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0687  (Read 699 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0687
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Robservations #687
The Worst Horror Of This Storyline Has Arrived!!

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0687

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
While Julia is frantically calling for help, Quentin, of course, has made off with the page with Beth's photo. When Julia opens the book to show the photo to Barn, it's gone. He's shocked, but really, he shouldn't be.

Carolyn and Chris return from their date. Carolyn is now wearing a blue dress with red-orange trim after leaving the house in a black dress on the same evening in Episode 684--hmmm. They do look awfully cute together, and they certainly seem to enjoy all the kissing.  [easter_wink] But when Chris gets home, the transformation pains start--even though the moon is on the wane. (Nice work here by DB). He barely has enough self-command to phone Collinwood. Luckily Barn and Julia arrive in time, and Barn hustles him off to the mausoleum. The clock on the mantel reads 1:10 a.m.

Poor Carolyn is the first to welcome Ned Stuart--one of my least favorite characters--to Collinwood and to the show. I'd be pretty suspicious, too, if a stranger arrived so late at night. Ned wants to surprise Chris by arriving at the cottage unannounced, but finds the equally suspicious Barn and Julia instead. Ned says that Chris and his sister were engaged. But is she dead or alive?...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
Barnabas gets into the records room.  Julia wasn't Q's target, he just confiscated Beth's picture... but they don't nbeed the picture since Julia saw it.  No welcome at all whatsoever, Ned Stuart.  They didn't even bother to change what R Davis looked like at all, same blow dry hair bump, same generic male uniform.  I wonder if David wouldn't permit them to change his hair....  Funny, they accept regular characters changing faces all the time, but recycle the same face on a stranger, and no that's weird...  DS is slowing back down thanks to Ned.  It had really picked up and taken off for two episodes.... What with Chris changing without the Moon, I was wondering if we had 1897 coming soon, but no, we have the Stuarts to slog through first.  Not so bad; I don't mind Sabrina as other fans do.  I kind of like her asymmetrical upper lip.

Written by Gordon Russell.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »
I liked Sabrina too. Didn't seem possible that she could be related to Ned, but that's the DS universe for you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »
I realized yesterday that as much story may be ahead before 1897, it must be compressed into very few episodes, because we're in the 690s now, and fateful 700 is coming up fast...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
Yes, I was thinking that myself. Now that Roger is back, things will get going again, despite Ned Stuart.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »
[spoiler]I want Barnabas to find himself trapped in the coffin in 1897, no apparent means of escape, and then he says to himself: "Well, at least I got away from Ned Stuart!"  Cue closing credits!
[/spoiler]

One thing I'll say for Ned... at least being testy and unpleasant was built into this new character.  He came across that way as Jeff Clark, when he was supposed to be nice, and we were supposed to like him.  It's as if they had to design a new character to fit the bad vibe Roger Davis emits.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »
A first batch of screen caps and/or set ups for this ep have been posted on the "Caption This! - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" boards.  [ghost_smiley]

And I've also fixed things so regular members can post again on the "Caption This! - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" board. Someone should have mentioned something when they noticed I was posting new captures but they couldn't post any captions. Because we mods can always post anywhere, we tend to forget that sometimes not everyone else can too.  [ghost_embarrassed]  [ghost_wink]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
My view of Ned Stuart is the same as everybody else's....I detest the man. Last time we had to endure his presence when talking about these episodes with him in it Lydia tried to make a strong case for why he acts the way he does, (even to the degree of nearly making Chris the bad guy in this scenario which really wasn't the case from where I sit) but I'm sorry, nothing justifies [spoiler] the way he gets rough with Sabrina, especially after he realized she was trying to protect Chris. [/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:16:59 AM »
I've been wondering about Roger Davis characters... RD plays them in an obnoxious way, but it's not just him.  They seem to write his characters to be that way, at least partly.  I wonder why.  I really can't tell how much is him, and how much is the writing.

I just saw Nora's first appearance in 1897, where Dirk is incredibly rough with her, though Denise N takes it like a trouper.  I can't imagine anyone told him to play it that way.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
It's funny that until I saw this capture yesterday, I never once realized that RD is left-handed:

And what's going on here? With Joel Crothers gone, was Lela trying to anoint Don Briscoe as her next crotch shot obsession: