Author Topic: #1178/1179_1180: Robservations 11/21/03: Amazing Appearances  (Read 1236 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1178/1179_1180: Robservations 11/21/03: Amazing Appearances
« on: November 20, 2003, 11:18:10 AM »
1178 - Trask's chapel basement - Lamar stands beside the wall behind which Barnabas is imprisoned and tauntingly asks, are you there? (where else could he be?)--"Why don't you answer, is something wrong?"--is it possible he's already dead? wonders Trask, disappointed--no, it's too soon (after a week?)--Mr. Collins, something has occurred to me you might find interesting--shall I tell you?  Yes, murmurs Barnabas weakly.  (A miracle!)  You would like to go on living, wouldn't you? asks Trask.  Yes, says Barnabas through parched lips.
Trask grins--good, he says--you're not dead--yet--linger, my friend, while I tell you my fascinating thoughts.  Behind the wall, Barnabas' body sags, his face sallow.  He looks as if he has mere moments left to live.

What has occurred to me, says Trask, is that you COULD go on living--if you were a vampire--what I've done to you couldn't destroy a vampire, a pity for you, a triumph for me--how proud my blessed father would have been.  Go away, whispers Barnabas--"Let me die on peace."  In peace?--never!--my only regret is that it's coming too fast! says Trask--don't you agree?  Barnabas doesn't reply.  (This was an especially cruel exchange; I felt immense pity for Barnabas.)

Quentin sits in his cell, head down.  Gerard, outside the cell, says, it's like a nightmare to think Desmond was involved in witchcraft.  He's no more guilty than I am, insists Quentin, and you know it.  Of course he isn't, says Gerard--we have quite enough money that we can buy anything--I'm sure of it--you will be free.  You think I have to buy my freedom? asks Quentin resentfully.  No, that's not what I mean, says Gerard, we have enough money to afford legal assistance--in the meantime, I suggest you try to get a postponement on the trial--that way we can replace Desmond--I'm sure the judge will find it justifiable. There's nothing JUST about my trial, says Quentin.  Please, understand me, I'm trying to help you, pleads Gerard--if there's anything I can do, I'm here--please believe me.  All right, I'll try, says Quentin with a weak smile.  I'll let you know more when I get information, promises Gerard.  Has there been any news about Barnabas? asks Quentin.
Barnabas? says Gerard--Barnabas Collins has vanished  Gerard leaves!  Vanished, thinks Quentin, what's happening to us--one by one, we're being destroyed--do you suppose the spirit of Judah Zachary is at work, carrying out his revenge?--no, I can't believe it, I can't!

Dawson sits in the courtroom, looking over paperwork.  Gerard enters.  I'm glad you came, says Dawson--looking over these papers, I realize there's little reason to drag this out any longer.  Gerard agrees--what is your plan?  We must find positive proof that Quentin is Judah, says Dawson.  Correct, says Gerard, and you have the proof.  No, actually, you have it, corrects Dawson--Judah Zachary's head--all we have to do is find the head in Quentin's lab, and the case will be ended.  Yes, says Gerard unhappily, true.  I expected you to be a little more enthusiastic, says Dawson.  Yes, says Gerard, surely there's another way to put an end to this trial than using the head of Judah Zachary.  There may be, says Dawson, but this is so simple, the time is so right.  What happens when the trial is over--what will they do with the head? asks Gerard--if you were the court, what would you do with it?  Light dawns on Dawson, who says, I see--they'd destroy it.  Exactly, says Gerard--so that is why the head must not be used unless as a last resort.  Trask enters, gleefully greeting both men good evening--if I were allowed to take the stand, Mr. Dawson's working hours would not extend into the night--in fact, the trial would soon be over.  I understand your enthusiasm, says Dawson, and in less than 12 hours, you'll get to prove your point--tomorrow morning, Mr. Trask, you will be called upon to testify.  Tomorrow, exults Trask, good!--I think you shall find it to be a most significant testimony.  Yes, says Dawson, rather cynically, we've discussed it--if you gentlemen will excuse me--he gathers up his things and leaves, bidding them good night.  You're rather cheerful, remarks Gerard, that's not the usual you, is it? (LOL!)--are you contemplating tomorrow's trial?  Much more than that, says Trask, gleeful--I have the great pleasure to report to you that Barnabas Collins is dead! Gerard grins with delight.

Are you sure? asks Gerard.  Absolutely, says Trask.  Where, how? asks Gerard.  I'm afraid I can tell you nothing more--Barnabas Collins is dead! says Trask, so be it!  How do you know? asks Gerard.  I know, says Trask confidently.  Gerard chides him--that's not the answer I need--I want and need more proof.  My lips are sealed, says Trask, I came only to share my joy with you, not my information.  Why are you so mysterious about this? asks Gerard. (murder!)  My father's disappearance many years ago was mysterious, too, says Trask--it was many years before anyone knew the truth--so it shall be with the disappearance of Barnabas Collins!

Courtroom - Quentin stands before the judges, requesting "a postponement of my trial until legal counsel can be found on my behalf."  Dawson objects.  How can you possibly object to that? demands Quentin.  If this man is indeed involved in the practice of witchcraft, that time could very well be used to our detriment, says Dawson.  I object to that, says Quentin, I am not involved with witchcraft!  Judge Vail bangs his gavel and demands order in the courtroom.  Quentin apologizes--this situation is beyond the realm of my experience--therefore, I do ask for a postponement so I can find someone to help me.  I grant your request, agrees Vail--you have until one PM to find representation.  One o'clock today? demands Quentin, incredulous--that's only three hours!  I am quite aware of that, says Judge Vail--in the event you are unable to find representation, there are two choices open for you--the court is prepared to appoint an attorney to represent you, someone you approve of, and your other alternative is to represent yourself.  Does the court have someone in mind for this appointment? asks Quentin.  Silas Graham, says Judge Vail.  Quentin repeats the name, an angry shout--I'm familiar with the name, and I won't have that man represent me!  May the prosecution know your objections to Mr. Graham? asks Dawson.  You certainly may, yells Quentin, everybody in this court knows that Silas Graham is incompetent and has a notorious reputation--I'd sooner represent myself!  And you'd be more qualified than Silas Graham? scoffs Dawson.  I do indeed, says Quentin.  I advise you not to make this decision in haste, says Vail--you have until one to think this over more carefully--the court is recessed until one.  He bangs his gavel.

Gerard visits Quentin's cell--I heard about the postponement and the judge's decision--there's not enough time.  Were you able to do anything for me? asks Quentin.  I worked constantly since last we talked, says Gerard, I did everything in my power to try to find a man for the case, but I couldn't find anyone--I looked all over the countryside to find someone to handle this case--but to no avail!  Quentin looks discouraged.

No one willing to take my case, says Quentin--that means they think I'm guilty--at least that's what they meant.  Not necessarily, says Gerard.  Either that, says Quentin, or else they feel the case is so hopeless, they can't get anyone to get me out of it--he sinks down on his cot, saying, "Oh my God!"  I know things don't look too good, says Gerard, but you're not totally defenseless --you know you're innocent--why don't you defend yourself?  I don't know anything about the law, says Quentin, even if I did, I'm so involved in this case, I wouldn't do justice to myself.  You must, insists Gerard.  You know, you have a lot of hope and a lot of faith, says Quentin, and I need both of them very badly.  If there's anything I can do, you know I'll be here, says Gerard.  I wish I could think of something myself, says Quentin.  You will, Gerard assures him--listen, I have some work to do--I'll do everything I can for you, believe me--believe me.  He leaves.  Quentin sits down on the cot, banging his head with his fist in frustration.

Dawson paces, waiting for Gerard, who appears, smiling, and announces, "Well, he's all yours."  What happened? asks Dawson.  Nothing, says Gerard.  You found no one? asks Dawson.  Of course not, says Gerard, he's been in prison, and he asked me to look out for him--so I combed the countryside looking for an attorney, but to no avail.  What a pity, says Dawson mockingly, have you told him?  I told him, brags Gerard.  And what was his reaction? asks Dawson.  He was very very depressed says Gerard--I'm afraid he's going to be quite ineffectual in court, defending himself--so today is the day for the kill, Charles--it's up to you.
I assure you, says Dawson, grinning, I'll handle it well.  I have no doubts, says Gerard--I can't wait for the court to convene at one o'clock.

1:00 - Dawson enters the courtroom.  Judge Vail bangs his gavel, calling the court to order in the case of the State vs. Quentin Collins.  Dawson asks to be provided with the name of his new adversary.  Judge Vail reminds Quentin, the court was recessed in order for you to find new counsel--were you successful, and if so, will you give me the name of the man?  Due to the fact there's no one here with me, says Quentin, it's quite apparent I was unable to find representation, therefore, under the circumstances, "Much to my regret, I shall have to speak for myself."  Charles barely suppresses a smile.

I find it almost impossible to believe that the defendant has not been able to rouse the conscience of SOME attorney, SOMEWHERE, says Dawson.  I also find it very hard to believe, agrees Quentin, but nevertheless, it happens to be true.  I find that in itself makes a very strong statement about the defendant and about this entire case, Your Honor, says Dawson--no one will come forth in his behalf!--thus far, only one man has seen fit to defend Quentin Collins--his own cousin, Desmond Collins, who even at this moment awaits his own trial on witchcraft--what could be more obvious?  Quentin rises--I don't know quite how to say this, he says, but I do suspect those last remarks should be stricken from the court records.  Judge Vail agrees wholeheartedly--Mr. Dawson, you were out of order!--Mr. Collins, is there any possibility that in the near future, you might find representation?  I'm not at liberty to say so at the moment, replies Quentin, who settles in the defendant's box.  Call your first witness, Mr. Dawson, orders the judge.  Lamar Trask, calls Dawson.  Trask, sworn in, takes the witness stand.  Does the name Lorna Bell mean anything to you? asks Dawson.  She was an acquaintance of the late Roxanne Drew, says Trask, and came to pay her respects to Roxanne one night at the Trask Chapel.  Was she alone that night in the chapel?  No, she was not, says Trask--the defendant, Quentin Collins, was with her.  Did she and Quentin leave together?  I did not actually see them leave together, says Trask, but I did hear her say she would meet him later.  And when was the next time you saw Lorna Bell?  Later that evening, at the Trask Chapel, says Trask, only this time, she was dead.  And how had she died?  She was murdered, says Trask.  And were there any visible marks on the body?  She had the devil's mark on her forehead.  By the devil's mark (Dawson shows him the drawing of the circle with a slash through it) do you mean this?  Yes, that's the mark, says Trask.  Dawson shows the judges the paper--I want to introduce this pagan symbol known as the devil's mark, he says--Mr. Trask, have you ever seen this mark again after seeing it on Lorna Bell's forehead?  Yes, says Trask, that same night, I saw it on a ring Quentin Collins was wearing.  And is it or is it not true that the same mark was next found on the body of Randall Drew?  Correct, says Trask.  And did you or did you not see the defendant, Quentin Collins, standing over the body of Randall Drew?  Yes I did, says Trask, Randall was supposed to meet me that evening.  Will you tell the court the purpose of that meeting, please.  Randall was convinced witchcraft was being practiced at Collinwood, says Trask, he and I were going to take our information to the authorities.  And did he think this witchcraft was being practiced by the defendant, Quentin Collins?  Quentin rises--I object! He says.  The judge bangs his gavel--sustained, he says--I remind you, Mr. Dawson, that the witness cannot testify as to what a deceased person might have believed or not believed.  Do you know of any other evidence of the defendant's penchant for the supernatural? asks Dawson.  I should like to get back to the matter of Lorna Bell, says Trask, what I told you was not the end of it--it's a well-known fact that the defendant's own father, Daniel Collins, God rest his soul, had a vision, in which he saw Lorna Bell murdered by the defendant.  Quentin objects--my father was very sick during that time, and frequently had hallucinations.  The court wants to hear about this vision, insists Vail--overruled.  The vision occurred in Quentin's lab, explains Trask, on the stairway into time.  Clarify that for the court, says Dawson.  The defendant has constructed a stairway which he claims can transport a human being into the past or future, says Trask.  Then Quentin Collins has supernatural powers over time itself? asks Dawson, as the judges react with interest to this information.  I don't know whether he has such powers, says Trask, but I do know that such an experiment is contrary to the laws of nature--it goes against God's will! (oh, give it a rest, Trask, murdering a man goes against God's will, too!)  And was it not on this stairway that Daniel Collins had a vision during which he witnessed the slaying of Lorna Bell at the hands of Quentin Collins?  That is correct, says Trask.  Your Honor, says Quentin, rising from his seat, I submit that if any of this were true, I'd have been a very stupid man to let my father see that vision.  Not so stupid at all, says Dawson--at that time, I believe you were the chief beneficiary of your father's will--I say you intentionally caused him to have that vision, knowing of his weak heart, knowing such a vision would cause him to drop dead on the spot!  That is a lie! cries Quentin.  The judge bangs for order--Mr. Dawson, your last remark will be stricken from the record--continue.  Dawson: Do you know anything about the strange occurrences that took place on the property of Mordecai Grimes?  Yes, Quentin Collins has long wanted to buy the Grimes property, says Trask, but Mordecai had said he would refuse to sell as long as he was alive.  What happened then?  Mordecai's cattle were mysteriously stricken, says Trask, many of them died--I believe a spell was cast over them.  By Quentin Collins? asks Dawson.  Quentin objects--there is a difference between what a man believes and what a man knows.  I know for a fact that you threatened Grimes, says Trask, said he'd be sorry if he didn't sell you that land.  I didn't threaten anyone, says Quentin, but you believe me that I am about to!  (Oh, Quentin, no, don't threaten a witness!)  Mr. Collins, says Dawson, I think you'd find it beneficial to your cause if you'd try to control your temper.  The judge bangs his gavel--Mr. Dawson, if there's any advice to be given to the defendant, the court will be most happy to do so--the reference to a spell being cast will be stricken, for the moment. Dawson: You say you know for a fact he threatened Mordecai Grimes?  Yes, says Trask--Grimes told me.  Quentin objects--hearsay evidence!  The judge agrees--either the witness DID hear that threat, or he didn't.  Did you hear the threat? asks Dawson.  No, admits Trask, but Mordecai wouldn't lie to me, he's a fine, upstanding, God-fearing man.  I'm sure he is, says Vail, and obviously, if he heard this threat, if it were made, then he will testify when and if he takes the stand!  And I assure you, that Mordecai Grimes will take the stand, says Dawson--thank you, Mr. Trask--I have no further questions.  Mr. Collins, do you want to cross-examine the witness? asks Vail.  Hesitantly, Quentin rises--I certainly would, he says--to my advantage, I think the cross-examination would be best handled by my counsel.  I was under the impression you were unable to find counsel, says the judge.  Then I gave the court the wrong impression, says Quentin--approaching the bench--therefore, I apologize--but I have found the man to handle my case--but it was impossible for him to be with me when the court convened (Trask exchanges stunned looks with Dawson)--and as the cross-examination is so desperately important, I ask the court to consider a brief recess while we await the arrival of my new counsel.  Dawson objects--this is a trick on the part of the defendant that can cause no good for anyone!  There is no trickery on my part, Quentin assures him--I am on trial for my life and believe I deserve competent, reliable counsel--I urge the court to consider a brief recess while we await the arrival of this man.  The doors swing open; Barnabas appears.  "That won't be necessary, Quentin," he says, looking remarkably handsome and fit, "I am here!"
Dawson looks stunned; Trask, as if he's going to have a stroke.

NOTES:  Jubilation, consternation, holy cow!  The last time we saw Barnabas, he was hanging in that alcove looking as near to death as a man can--face sallow, eyes sunken, voice barely audible (and a death wish on Trask for taunting him and prematurely announcing his death.  How was Barnabas rescued, and by whom?  I once wrote a filler story about how Julia and Valerie saved him, and how the latter literally "loved" Barnabas back to life.  We never do see how this happened, which was intensely frustrating for me.  The other question is, did I miss someone handing Quentin a note while typing busily away--how did he know Barnabas had reappeared and was ready to act as his attorney?  What kind of legal training does Barnabas have to undertake this task?

Poor Quentin is undergoing such a raft of bad luck, yet he still seems to have a shred of belief in Gerard.  Why?  How much more has to go wrong?  Gerard was sure the Collins money would secure Quentin an excellent lawyer, and it would have, for sure, if Gerard had actually bothered seeking one out.

By the way, folks, we are heading pretty rapidly now for the end of 1840.  The eps we're seeing now were shown in December, 1970, and by April 2, 1971, DARK SHADOWS was off the air.  That only leaves three months--one and a half at our current two shows daily--before the series comes to an end.

1179_1180 - A smiling Barnabas enters the courtroom, causing Lamar to literally shake in his boots.  Trask stares at Barnabas in disbelief.  Quentin presents his new attorney, Barnabas Collins.  Dawson objects--this man can't act as counsel for the defense--he's not even a qualified attorney.  I've made a careful study of the law under which this trial is being conducted, says Barnabas, and it clearly states a qualified attorney isn't necessary--any citizen may volunteer his services.  That is correct, says Judge Vail.  And I so volunteer mine, says Barnabas grandly.  Are you prepared to cross-examine the witness? asks Vail.  I request a transcript of the witness' testimony for the prosecution, says Barnabas.  By all means, agrees the judge, as Trask tries to recover from his astonishment.  Looking as if he's about to hurl, he says, I can't continue my testimony.  I beg your pardon? says the judge.  Dawson gazes warningly at Trask and darts forward--Mr. Trask,  is something the matter?  I'm not well, falters Trask, I have a severe pain in my chest, I think I should consult a doctor.  In view of the witness' condition, Dawson tells the judges, I urge you to release him from further testimony.   Is counsel asking that the witness not be cross-examined? queries Barnabas.  It's obvious Mr. Trask is a very sick man, says Dawson.  The defense must be given the right of cross-examination, Mr. Dawson, says Vail, the question is when?  The defense would welcome a brief postponement in order to fully acquaint myself with the case, says Barn.  The request is granted, says Judge Vail--court is adjourned until 10 AM tomorrow.  That might not be enough time for my witness, protests Dawson.  I am assuming, says Vail, that he will see a doctor between now and then; if his condition becomes more serious, we'll discuss that when court convenes tomorrow.  He bangs his gavel.

Quentin sits in his cell, rises, walks across it.  Barnabas enters.  I don't understand, says Quentin, I got the note from Valerie saying you had returned--from where?  Lamar Trask held me prisoner, explains Barnabas haltingly, I didn't think I was going to get out, but finally Julia and Valerie found out where I was.  Trask held you prisoner? demands Quentin.  Yes, says Barn, he forced me at gunpoint into an alcove in his chapel, and he bricked up the alcove and left me there to die.  Why didn't you tell the judge what he had done? asks Quentin.  I chose not to, says Barn-- the fact is, I have no intention of turning Trask over to the authorities.  Quentin gazes at him, astonished.
You're telling me after what Trask did to you, you're willing to let him go free? asks Quentin.  For the moment, yes, says Barnabas.  In heavens name, why? asks Quentin.  You're on trial for your life--that is the important consideration for us right now, points out Barnabas--I can tell you that Trask has an act of revenge.  For what? asks Quentin.  The death of his father, says Barnabas.  I don't understand it, says Quentin.  I must ask you to trust me, says Barnabas, I will tell you everything in time, but right now I want to concentrate on the trial.  Quentin agrees--I've always respected your judgment.  Papers in hand, Barnabas says, I've read Trask's testimony, and if it stands, you're going to have a disaster--I want you and I to go over this in detail, and find out how it can be broken down tomorrow.

10:40 - Lamar picks up his clock from the mantel, looks at it, distractedly puts it down, paces back and forth.  Barnabas enters--good evening, he says.  Get away from here, orders Trask--leave me alone.  Aren't you wondering how I got out of your cellar prison? asks Barnabas.  I don't have to wonder, gasps Trask, I know--it was with Quentin's help--you and he have always been in league with one another--he used his sorcery to free you--I know Satan's work when I see it--you should be dead now!  "Maybe I am dead," suggests Barnabas.  What? asks Trask, what are you saying?  Consider the possibility, says Barnabas, moving in closer--you put me down in that basement to die--perhaps I did die and I've come back to haunt you for the rest of your days and nights!  Shaking his head furiously, Trask says, no, it's not possible, I don't believe it.  By your simple way of thinking, anything is possible, says Barnabas.  Ducking away, Trask orders--get out of my sight--get away from me!
I have no intentions of staying long, Barnabas assures him, just long enough to tell you I have every intention of doing something to you in revenge for what you've done to me--but not now--I will let you wait. . .and wonder. . .and suffer, knowing your time is coming, but not quite knowing when--I'll see you tomorrow in court, Mrs. Trask.  Smiling, Barnabas leaves.  Trask gulps in horror and covers his face with a shaking hand.  (This was SUCH a great scene, I played it over twice.  Barnabas is so quietly menacing in his threat.)

Courtroom - Dawson paces, nervous, worried.  Trask enters.  What's wrong? asks Dawson.  Trask doesn't reply.  Dawson, annoyed, reminds him, I sent you a message asking you to be here early--speak up, what is on your mind?  I won't appear on the witness stand again this morning, says Trask breathlessly.  Dawson stares at him--are you insane, your testimony is vital to our case!  I've given my testimony, says Trask, moving his hands nervously--I refuse to be questioned by Barnabas Collins.  You can't refuse, protests Dawson--if you do, your entire testimony for our side will be stricken from the record--is that what you want?  I only know I will not be questioned, insists Trask--I have my reasons.  Yes, which was very well demonstrated yesterday, says Dawson, when you pretended to be sick on the witness stand--what is wrong?--tell me what you're so frightened of!  I can tell you no more, insists Trask.  Dawson grabs him by the lapels--listen! he cries--you are going to face Barnabas Collins whether you like it or not--you stop with all this, Trask--you're the cause for all this hue and cry about witchcraft--if you desert us now, the entire prosecution's case is destroyed!

Flora sips a cup of tea at Rose Cottage.  Barnabas enters--I'm sorry to disturb you so early, he says, but I want to find out everything I can before the trial resumes.  You're not disturbing me in the least, she says, I'm so glad you're all right--whatever did happen to you?--we've all been so worried!  I had to leave town unexpectedly, says Barnabas, sitting down--I didn't even have time to tell Julia and Valerie.  So much has happened since you've been gone, reveals Flora--they arrested Desmond for witchcraft, on the most ridiculous evidence--they've produced the journal of Judah Zachary, that man who was beheaded for witchcraft---imagine a head in 1692--it was here in this house, I knew it was evil--and they say it possessed Desmond.  I read the transcript of the trial, says Barnabas, and I know all about Desmond, and I'm here as much to help him as Quentin.  Can you free my son? begs Flora, I'm so worried, I can't think clearly!  She wrings her hands.  Desmond was implicated in this trial because of his association with Quentin, explains Barnabas--if we can prove Quentin's innocence, we can prove Desmond's--the authorities will be forced to release him.  What can I do to help? asks Flora.  Answer some questions, says Barnabas--think back to the time Desmond returned with the severed head of Judah Zachary--did he actually tell you he'd brought it back for Quentin?  I'm afraid he did, says Flora, making a face.  Before he could ever give it to Quentin, it disappeared, says Barnabas, didn't it?  As far as I know, she replies.  Who besides you and Desmond in this house definitely saw the head? asks Barnabas.  Leticia testified that she saw it, says Flora, which is the first I knew about it.  In other words, says Barnabas, someone else could have seen the head also?  What do you mean? she asks.  Gerard could have known about that head and also not wanted to tell anyone, points out Barnabas.  Are you implying Gerard is secretly involved in all this? she asks.  (Duh, Flora, Desmond's told you that before.)  Yes, says Barnabas, I have every reason to believe he is, but can't prove it--what about Trask?--how did he and Gerard become such good friends?  I really don't know, says Flora.  When Gerard was living here, asks Barnabas, Trask made several visits to him, didn't he?  Yes, says Flora, I suppose they really became good friends the night they were discussing Lamar's father's disappearance--yes, that was quite an eventful night for both of them.  Eventful how? asks Barnabas.  Gerard has certain psychic abilities, you know, says Flora, and he demonstrated them for Lamar, who was very impressed.
Flora, says Barnabas urgently, I want you to tell me everything about that night in as much detail as possible.  She thinks hard.

Court - Judge Vail bangs the gavel--Mr. Dawson, he says, the court will listen to a motion for postponement in case your witness is unable to testify.  The witness has been to a doctor, says Dawson, and declared physically fit to testify.  Mr. Collins, you may cross-examine, says Vail--Mr. Trask, return to the stand.  Nervously, Trask takes his place.  In your testimony yesterday, begins Barnabas, you stated that the defendant frequently indulged himself in matters of the occult--is that true?  Yes, replies Trask.  In your opinion, is active participation in the occult tantamount to dealing with witchcraft?  I believe that a person who deals in the occult can easily be lead into the practice of witchcraft, yes, says Trask in a shaky voice.  He can't seem to look at Barnabas, who then asks, "Then you'd have to include yourself, wouldn't you?"   I beg your pardon? asks Trask.  I object! shouts Dawson.  Clarify your line of questioning, Judge Vail.  It has been established previously in this trial, continues Barnabas, that raising a spirit from the dead in a seance, is admitting a seance experience--now, I want you to tell the court, did you or did you not participate in a seance, the purpose of which by your own admission at the time, was to communicate with your dead father? Trask's face goes pasty white; Dawson looks pissed, Quentin smiles.

Trask's face twitches.  The court is waiting for your answer, says Barnabas--did you or did you not take part in such a seance?  Trask turns to Dawson and cries, "He's trying to brand ME a witch!"  The witness is right, says Dawson--the counsel's line of questions is irrelevant!  On the contrary, says Barnabas, I submit it is very relevant, and insist upon the question being answered.  Vail directs Trask--answer the question.  Dawson sits down.  Yes, says Trask.  Yes, repeats Barnabas, you did participate in a seance--you were trying to establish communication with the dead--is that correct?  Trask, barely able to breathe, admits, it's correct.  Were you successful? asks Barnabas.
We heard my father's voice warning us of the evil around us, answers Trask.  Quentin grins.  So, continues Barnabas, you did take part in a seance and communicated with the dead--does that mean you are or could be a witch?  Dawson rises to his feet: OBJECTION!  The defense is merely asking a question, says Barnabas, not making an accusation.  Judge Vail overrules the objection--answer, Mr. Trask.  No, it does not mean I'm a witch, says Trask defiantly.  Of course it doesn't, says Barnabas, as Quentin looks on with enjoyment--anymore than the same experience would mean the defendant is a witch--I ask the court to wipe out all references to seances, the occult and witchcraft.  All such references will be stricken from the record, says Judge Vail--continue, Mr. Collins.  I have no further questions at this time, says Barnabas.  I should like to re-examine the witness, says Dawson.  Proceed, says Vail.  For the record, says Dawson, the prosecution has never contended a seance, in and of itself, constitutes an act of witchcraft--however, I hope the court would agree that a means other than a seance to summon the dead DOES constitute an act of witchcraft.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to be more explicit, says Judge Vail.  I intend to, says Dawson--Mr. Trask, do you know of an example of Quentin Collins' strange powers over the dead?  Barnabas objects.  Overruled, says Vail--the witness may answer if he knows of such an incident.  I do indeed, says Trask eagerly, anxious to recoup, I was witness to such an incident.  Describe it to the court, says Dawson.  It happened last week while this very trial was in progress, says Trask--Quentin Collins wrote a letter to the spirit of a dead woman named Joanna Mills.  Quentin eyes Trask sharply.  The letter was delivered to a designated spot in the woods by Daphne Harridge, continues Trask, left in an oak tree for the spirit to find and answer--I saw the spirit appear and leave a written response.  And what was your reaction? asks Dawson.  I waited until the spirit had gone and I took the letter the spirit left in the tree, says Trask.  Dawson picks up a letter from the desk and asks, is this the letter you saw the spirit deliver?  Barnabas bounds from his seat, objecting--the letter counsel has could have been written by anyone, he insists.  Overruled, says Vail--the witness may examine the letter.  Dawson smiles at Barnabas, who takes his seat.  Yes, says Trask, this is it.  Thank you, says Dawson--be seated.  Dawson offers a sketch of a young woman named Joanna Mills into evidence--a self-portrait made while the woman was an inmate in an asylum--the sketch is signed and I believe you will find the signature corresponds with the signature in the letter Mr. Trask just identified.  The judges examine the letter and sketch.  Dawson says, there can be no doubt the sketch and letter were created by the same hand--that of Joanna Mills--I now would like to submit this certified document--a death certificate for Joanna Mills!  I object to the introduction of this letter, says Barnabas--no one saw Joanna Mills write it, it could have been written before she died.  Mr. Collins, says Dawson, Mr. Trask has just testified under oath that he saw the spirit deliver the letter!  Does he know he saw a spirit? asks Barnabas.  It's pointless for you to keep on arguing any further in this matter, says Judge Vail--the court believes the prosecution has made its point.  Then I submit, Your Honor, says Dawson, that the prosecution has also proved its case--the ability to rouse the dead can only be attributed to the process of witchcraft; I therefore move that the tribunal hand down a verdict in favor of the prosecution.  The court is willing to consider such a motion, agrees Vail.  The court cannot do it in good conscience! asserts Barnabas, when the defense hasn't even presented its case yet.  Sit down, Mr. Collins orders Judge Vail--and abide by whatever this tribunal decides.  The judges begin to look everything over.  Quentin assures Barnabas--it's all right, don't worry, I'm just surprised Dawson didn't introduce the letter earlier than he did.  He can't possibly grant the motion, says Barnabas.  Believe me, I've been here longer than you have--they can do anything they please, says Quentin wryly.  They're ready, says Barnabas.  "The tribunal has considered the prosecution's motion very carefully," intones Judge Vail, "and is ready to render a decision--it is the opinion, of all three judges here present, that the prosecution has..."  A woman dressed in black, looking remarkably like the self-portrait of Joanna Mills, enters the courtroom.  What is the reason for this interruption? he asks.  Quentin's eyes looks like two giant blue marbles about to pop from his head.  "I have come to offer testimony in this trial," the woman says, "my name is Joanna Mills."
Everyone, from Dawson to Barnabas to Trask to Quentin gazes at her, incredulous.

NOTES:  Wait a second, isn't this woman dead?  Clearly, most sincerely dead?  How did she show up here?  I heard that Dan Curtis was pushing the writers for a cliffhanger a day, a big one, and it seems they complied to the letter.  Incredible!  Is she an impostor?  Quentin sure seemed to think it was his dead mistress.  What expressions on the men's faces.  With all these shocks, one figures Trask will expire any day now.  Good thing she showed when she did, because it definitely sounded as if the judges were going to convict Quentin of witchcraft.

Mr. Frid has trouble with his lines today, but that scene in the chapel in which he threatened Trask was nothing short of delicious.  You felt the quiet venom in Barnabas, and realize that some of his vampire self is still in his system.  Great stuff.

Barnabas, lawyer, did a pretty good job of discrediting Trask, but Dawson came back full steam ahead, and, until the lady appeared in the courtroom, made Quentin look very guilty once again.  It would have been a riot if they had jailed Trask on witchcraft charges, too, they would have had to expand the jail to accommodate the prisoners!

Love, Robin