Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0686  (Read 995 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0686
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:52:15 PM »
Robservations #686

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0686

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »
"Mrs. Johnson is a repressed hysteric."  LOL.  DS's upgrade continues, but the arrival of a dreaded new character is about to throw water on the fire.  This is a good ep though.  Welcome back, Roger!!  Roger spanks Barnabas!!  It's great to see this solid unimaginative upstanding citizen (he's a fraud, but never mind) with no clue about any of the unusual events going on, dropped into the mix, harrumphing around, making everyone look foolish (including himself). 

We see a new Collinwood room, a place full of family records, and it looks pretty good, as if it's definitely filled with plenty of Victorian papers etc..  Julia's locked in there by Quentin, right after Quentin has killed Ezra, so there's no reason not to expect her to be snuffed out just about as easily.  End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
Julia tells Barn that she watched the autopsy on Ezra. Since he died just a couple of hours before, it must have been the fastest one in history!

Julia is rather dismissive of Mrs. J, calling her a "repressed hysteric," a rather prehistoric diagnosis these days. Anyway, Barn isn't having it because that would make Maggie (who also saw Quentin) a repressed hysteric too.

Nice scene where David reads the ledger entry aloud, which sets Beth weeping, again in total silence. Now David is the only LIVING soul who knows about the pentagram. Poor David practically has hysterics himself when Barn questions him about Ezra.

My notes say that LE has been away for 65 episodes. His last appearance was in Betsy Durkin's last ep. Roger looks and sounds very much like Barn's own father, Joshua, as he thunderingly almost orders Barn to apologize to David. Nice work, LE!

The new records room is a nice set, MT. But Julia spent many months supposedly working on her history of the Collins family. Surely she would not need Liz to show her the way now! After Elizabeth leaves, Julia finds the photo of Beth and brings down the wrath of Quentin.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
Love the expression on Julia's face in this capture as she protests that it makes no sense that the ghost of the woman who's been helping them would have killed Ezra Braithwaite:

Classic Julia!!  (And, of course, leave it to Barnabas to draw an erroneous conclusion.)

Also, I've finally gotten the chance to post a first batch of screen caps and/or set ups for this ep on the "Caption This! - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" and the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Werewolf-Quentin's Ghost" boards.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
MB, I would love to see that Julia capture, but it's not showing up for me.  Perhaps it is a browser issue...

I'm glad this episode got bumped because Julia's "repressed hysteric" line is a favorite moment.  And I so want to nudge her and say, "Pot... kettle?"

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »
Would it be so much better to be an unrepressed hysteric?  [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:26:04 AM »
Roger still ticks me off whenever I watch this episode...

He thinks he has the right to issue orders and orders Barnabas to apologize to poor David or else he won't be welcome anymore at Collinwood.....hate to break it to you Roger, but it's still your sister's house not yours, you don't have the authority to say who is welcome at the big house and who is not. Especially since you've been away for SEVERAL weeks when much has been happening.

Curious, MB...what error did Barnabas make in here? He seemed pretty sharp in this episode. He was wise enough to realize that Ezra's death didn't just happen and sharp enough, unlike Roger, to realize that David isn't the innocent little boy that his aunt and father assume him to be. Not saying that Barnabas didn't make a wrong conclusion in here I just don't recall what it was.

Elizabeth believes David over Maggie and now Roger sides with David over Barnabas. David doesn't stand a chance to get out from under Quentin's power when his father and his aunt are pathetically blind to his strange behavior.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »
Curious, MB...what error did Barnabas make in here? He seemed pretty sharp in this episode. He was wise enough to realize that Ezra's death didn't just happen

Though, until Julia set him straight (as depicted in the capture I posted) Barnabas had wrongly concluded that circumstances showed that Beth's ghost must have been responsible for Ezra Braithwaite's death. A good reason never to judge purely by circumstantial evidence.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »
MB, I would love to see that Julia capture, but it's not showing up for me.  Perhaps it is a browser issue...

It may very well be a browser issue because others have mentioned that they can't always see captures when I post them the way I did that capture. But if you check out this topic:

Episode #0686

you should be able to access the capture by clicking on its thumbnail.  [ghost_smiley]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 01:08:24 AM »
Oh okay, I hear what you're saying MB. [ghost_wink]

And considering that Julia has seen ghosts in the past, not just Beth but also Sarah's ghost, she really is the last person in the world who should be calling anyone a repressed hysteric. [ghost_huh]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 04:29:08 AM »
By the way, MB, only moderators can post on Caption This for 1897, unless that changed only today and I haven't caught it yet.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 04:51:10 AM »
Oops, sorry about that. I'll fix it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »
Oh my, that IS choice. Thanks, MB.  I wonder if that was the expression on Grayson's face when she reportedly informed the producers of OLTL over the telephone one memorable afternoon in 1982, "No more high heels, and NO MORE GOD DAMN TWEED."

I would have crawled over broken glass to see her laying down the law that day...

G.