Author Topic: Status on the Frid Book?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Status on the Frid Book?
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »
I was inquiring as to the status of the Jonathan Frid book. Prepaid orders were taken almost a year ago - does anyone know when the current expected publication date is now? Thank you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Status on the Frid Book?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Posted on Facebook over the weekend:

REMEMBERING JONATHAN FRID will be published in the next two weeks. Those who pre-ordered will get the book emailed to them in another week or sooner. They will receive the book in the mail afterwards.

If you want to buy a copy of REMEMBERING JONATHAN FRID, you can order it NOW. If you are new here, this book is 200 pages and full of rare photos accompanying articles written by friends, family, theatre colleagues, and DS co-stars. This book provides a unique opportunity for the reader to get to know Jonathan Frid and something about what made him tick. There are a lot of funny stories. The book is $34.00 which includes shipping. The book will not be published for another two weeks so the book won't be shipped until then.

To order and prepay via PayPal (within the next week to guarantee a copy from the first printing), or if you have questions, contact [Forum cousin] Nancy.  Or see Helen Samaras at this month's Fest.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »
the exact nature of this book is sort of mystifying to me...

an effective biography isn't just professional anecdotes and spin. it reveals the individual on an intimate level to the reader.

as Frid's "private life" was and continues to be shrouded in secrecy I'm curious to see how that plays out in this publication.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
as Frid's "private life" was and continues to be shrouded in secrecy I'm curious to see how that plays out in this publication.

I know nothing about the book. But given Frid's own desire that his private life remain private, I'd hazard a guess that it doesn't. Though that's simply a guess...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »
From what I have been told, the book is not a true biography, nor was it ever intended to be one. It is apparently a memory book where family, coworkers and fans write about their experiences with Frid. How much, if any, glimpses into his private life remains to be seen.

I did contribute to the book. Some of my pictures are supposed to be in it. I did not write anything.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
and the mystery deepens...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Rightly or wrongly, my impression of the book is to think of it as a group of fans sitting around the fire swapping stories and passing around photo albums that relate to their personal friendship and/or encounters with JF.

Just my impression...

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:40 PM »

Cover design by Stuart Manning

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
Very nice.  [bigok]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
I haven't looked at it yet but I did receive my contributors copy as a PDF file. I also saw it for sale on eBay. Haven't checked Amazon.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »
Patrick - please send me your email address and I will send you a PDF of the book.  The book itself starts shipping after July 1st.

Michael - The Frid book has never been marketed as a biography and from the start has been advertised as stories shared by family, friends and colleagues about Jonathan. It is a swapping of memories.  I don't see how any of that constitutes a "mystery."  I don't know what it is you are looking for regarding Frid.  If you are looking for the kind of private details most of the other DS actors don't even share about themselves (e.g., why I got divorced, why I keep on getting divorced, why I am not married etc,) you will be disappointed.  Groups and boards tend to shy away from speculation on the private lives of actors because it leads to fights over subjects the subject actor has not discussed publicly.  It's really just basic manners.

Nancy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »
I can assure you my interests are not prurient. the last thing on god's green earth I'm interested in in Jonathan Frid's sex life...

my interest was what it would have been when anybody picks up a biography. an intimate look at it's subject. and until this week it had been my mistaken impression the book was to be a biography.

I see that it is not. and will approach it as I now understand it.

thanks for the clarification and good luck with the launch.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 02:17:45 AM »
Michael, thanks for the good wishes.  I should point out that my view of one's private life isn't just romantic or sexual involvements - it's also one's religious and political views, activities and friendships.  There are elements of that in the book from the stories friends and colleagues share. 

I agree with you - I don't care about anyone's sex life and it has always baffled me why others do.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Frid book shipping July 18th
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 01:32:24 AM »
The Remembering Jonathan Frid book will ship on July 18th.  The book is 200 pages long with plenty of rare, personal photos and featuring the memories of friends, family and colleagues - many not shared before - about Jonathan and his life and career.  You can order the book by sending $34.00 (includes shipping) to the paypall address skippy1253@aol.com.  If you prefer to send a check or money order, email me for details at nckersey@gmail.com.

Thank you very much. [ghost_smiley]