Author Topic: This Old House  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: This Old House
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2002, 04:35:41 AM »
I'll tell you what house I'd really love the deed to: the Lyndhurst Estate!

I have family in that town, and grew up sneaking onto the property...tho I never got inside until I was a grown-up.

We didn't find out they were shooting a DS movie there until it was all over, and I was inconsolable for weeks!

I understand there are Halloween events there...but if you live in the area, and really want to see it at it's best, go at Christmas time!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2002, 05:07:47 AM »
I have to say I would love to live in the "Old House", if I had the money to keep it looking old and have all the conviences of the new house I live in now.  Of course, I would have to have the antiques that goes along with it.  My true goal is life is to be able to buy anything I want to in the anitique stores I like to stroll through.  My mother has a lot of nice pieces.  In fact sometimes when watching I see stuff I have grown up with the Empire Bureaus that they seem to have in just about every bedroom.  I have one in my family room that my older sister just about ruined with all the moves they made as a Navy family.  I also love the paneling in the bedrooms.  It most definitly is my style.  I can't say that I have as much in my home as I would like.

I love old houses.  I also feel fairly lucky that I have had the opportunity to at least walk around "Seaview Terrace".  It amazes me that for years I didn't know the "Collinwood" was in Newport.  A place that we manage to go to fairly often.  In fact I told the family it was time for another visit soon.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2002, 06:19:49 PM »
Birdie
Going to Newport School vac in april maybe I'll see you there I'll be the one with the Rex sox cap pulling her son off the sea walls there.He thinks he is a Power Ranger and jumps off things!! :ohe is only 4

jennifer
(I came across Rt 6 last summer to go to RI and saw an old roller coaster that was once Lincoln Park Looked like a ghost town did you ever go there? :'(
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Lincoln Park
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2002, 10:36:35 PM »
(I came across Rt 6 last summer to go to RI and saw an old roller coaster that was once Lincoln Park Looked like a ghost town did you ever go there? :'(

Jennifer,

I don't know about Birdie, but I used to go to Lincoln Park all the time as a kid. It was only about 5 miles from where I lived back then, and I live less than 4 miles from there now. Sometimes when I have to go to North Dartmouth (pronounced North Dotmeth by most locals ;) ), I'll take Rt 6 rather than Rt 195 because it's usually quicker, and when I pass by Lincoln Park I can't believe what it looks like now compared to what it used to be like 30 years ago. There used to be three really poplular amusement parks around back then (Lincoln Park, Crescent Park and Rocky Point) and all three of them have since closed. Sad really.
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2002, 01:51:45 AM »
Mike I know it might sound silly to feel bad about seeing a broken down roller coaster but it did seem so sad to see it covered with debris and forgotten.we did have a lotta fun there!!!the funny thing i would never get on it now! :o
jennifer
you must live near the ocean Love it down there!!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2002, 05:21:03 AM »
Jennifer and Mike,
                           I also went to Lincon Park.  I high school I belong to the C.Y.C. and we had several trips down to Horseneck Beach and than to Lincon Park.  One time I remember having a terrible sunburn and being talked into the roller coaster.  Needless to say I did not feel well on the bus ride home.

I had a bad experience with Roller Coasters as a child I almost fell off the one at Whalen Park when I was eight.  If my Dad had  not reach over I would have been a goner.  Whalen Park closed last year another end of an era.    

Jennifer are you going to Newport for the week or just the day?  If you should go to the Black Pearl the chowder is the best.  

Not sure when I will be going down.   There are a lot of things in the fire.   It might be a weekend.  

Birdie--who now only goes on Roller Coasters when my family harrasses me enough to make me cave.  I did ride all the big one in Disney World three years ago.  I don't think I will go on Rocking Roller Coaster when we go nest
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2002, 07:02:28 AM »
Does anyone know what that mail chute thing was just to the left of Jeremiah's room in the Great/New House today?

In Josette's room, I've noticed curtained windows just to the left of the door when you come into the room (just to the right hand side of the door, if you're standing by Josette's bed and facing the hallway).  Do you think these are false curtains for decoration, or is this indeed an outside wall?  The fireplace is to the right, so it could be an outside wall, yet the hallway would seem to extend beyond Josette's room.

Favorite room(s) so far:  Josette's; Naomi and Joshua's.  I remember really liking the study, but can't remember if that's the Old House or New.  ?!?

:)  :)  :)  :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2002, 08:41:43 AM »
I'll probaly just go for the day Birdie i can stay down the Cape so its easy to shoot over. I've been to Newport
a few times but have never tried The Black Pearl. doesn't that have a DS connection too?When i went to
Essex Conn it was fun to see all the DS places there
(The Inn was great!)
i'll have to check those rooms out tommorrow Vlad!

jennifer
I know i went totally OT about roller coasters
but that one in Disneyworld Birdie(rockin roller coaster)
my husband came off it and was green LOL!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2002, 09:21:03 AM »
I'm torn between both the Old House and Collinswood.  :-/ I love the charm and era of the old house but I also love the room in the big house.  I know my son would love it.  He could fill up the rooms really easy.   ::)  
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2002, 05:41:45 PM »

In Josette's room, I've noticed curtained windows just to the left of the door when you come into the room (just to the right hand side of the door, if you're standing by Josette's bed and facing the hallway).  Do you think these are false curtains for decoration, or is this indeed an outside wall?  The fireplace is to the right, so it could be an outside wall, yet the hallway would seem to extend beyond Josette's room.
:)  :)  :)  :)

Since it would be unthinkable for the future lady of the house to be placed in a windowless room, I am going to assume that the windows are supposed to be real

Although, this is the same show that has Barnabas' bedroom being smaller than Angelique's, which is even more unthinkable.  
:)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2002, 06:03:54 PM »
Although I really really love Collinwood,
[shadow=red,left,300](I've been to Seaview Terrace 6 times and get goosebumps when I first see the house on each trip)[/shadow]
[/glow]If I had my choice of which house to live in I would choose the Old House. I like antiquated things, and they would look much more at home in the Old House enviroment.

I have to agree with Birdie, the clam chowder at the Black Pearl is awesome. ( Jen, the backside of the Black Pearl building was used on the show to depict the exterior of the Blue Whale.) :D
   Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2002, 09:52:45 PM »
I vote for Collinwood! love to be in a house where I can say" I"ll be in the West Wing if you are looking for me"
also the space!!!!!!!!!!A room just for all my shoes!!!
jennifer

I agree with jennifer! SPACE...not only the final frontier but what I have been in dire need of for most of my adult life! Pack rats unite and storm Collinwood! Of course, if we all get in there we will soon need even more space!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2002, 04:36:58 AM »

Pack rats unite and storm Collinwood! Of course, if we all get in there we will soon need even more space!

Don't worry, CastleBee.  When that happens, we'll just spread out to the PT house.

ProfStokes

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2002, 08:45:55 AM »
Well, since Harry Johnson lived at Collinwood, I would certainly want to live there too. I would just love to get lost with him, oh what fun!!!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2002, 08:25:27 PM »

Don't worry, CastleBee.  When that happens, we'll just spread out to the PT house.

ProfStokes

Excellent idea professor! And since the bands of PT could be limitless we hunter gatherer types should be satisfied at last.  [spin]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad