Author Topic: This Old House  (Read 4508 times)

Offline dsannabelle

• Who refuses to grow up!
    • View Profile
This Old House
« on: March 10, 2002, 07:13:34 AM »
I can't help it. I have fallen in love with the old house.

Before Vicki found herself back in 1795 all we ever saw
of the old house was the Drawing Room, Josette's
room, the basement and the secret room where
Matthew held Vicki hostage.

Now we get to see all those bedrooms, the Den/Study/
Library (I'm not sure what they call) and even a
hall way. The wonderful Federation colors they have
used in the house are marvelous.

If it only had electricity and modern plumbing I would
move in tomorrow. I just love it.

I remember a survey that we ran last fall, I believe, as
to which house (the old or the new) we like the best.
My vote now is on the old house.  What do you think?

Annabelle

Has anybody else noticed that the bookcase that
served as a door to the secret room where Matthew
kept Vicki prisioner has now disappeared :o

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: This Old House
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 07:19:23 AM »
I have to agree... I was thinking that the other day.  It's too bad that they didn't show more of it when they weren't in 1795.

It would have been nice to see if Willy had actually fixed up some of the other rooms besides the drawing room and Josette's.

deron :)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2002, 02:30:09 PM »
My vote goes with the Old House...I too love the decor...It is enchanting with the secret room behind the bookcase,
full of ghosts, etc. :o

It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2002, 04:28:37 PM »
Please....I'd rather the Evans' Cottage over either Collins house.

I'd much prefer that wall of windows with all that light, to a house that I'd require a map to negotiate my way around.  And the french doors in the bedroom are lovely.

I wouldn't even mind if Sam left his paintings behind...just so long as they took that gosh-awful quilt afghan!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2002, 06:42:13 PM »
I vote for Collinwood! love to be in a house where I can say" I"ll be in the West Wing if you are looking for me"
also the space!!!!!!!!!!A room just for all my shoes!!!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2002, 07:36:03 PM »
Call me conventional, but I don't think I would like to live somewhere where I had to be concerned about accidentally stepping into a room or on a staircase where I could be transported through a transdimensional portal.

Beside, the taxes would be a killer.

If I had to pick between the Old House and Collinwood, I would choose the former.  Of course, I would get rid of that disgusting wall color in the downstairs.  Install electricity, plumbing, heating.  I would keep some of the furniture--I am in love with the bureau in Vicki's bedroom and that secretary in the drawing room is lovely, but most of it would be at the auction house pronto--Josette's painting and the delicate French stuff would be among them (sorry, but I like furniture you can live with).

And I would reglaze the windows ASAP (if only so that nosy people couldn't hear my every word  ;))

But if I could choose from any house in town, maybe Mark would let me share the Evans Cottage.  It too needs some redecorating, but it looks manageable, good light, the French doors, etc.  But I agree with Mark--the afghan needs to go  8).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2002, 08:29:50 PM »
But if I could choose from any house in town, maybe Mark would let me share the Evans Cottage.  It too needs some redecorating, but it looks manageable, good light, the French doors, etc.  But I agree with Mark--the afghan needs to go  8).

Luciaphil, I think you're confusing the poster Raineypark with Mark Rainey, though the names have made me do a double take once or twice too. ;)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2002, 09:05:13 PM »
Yeah, I get confused too. My eye detects a "Rainey" in the post, and I think, "Wait, I didn't write that -- or did I? Am I feeling beside myself?"

I've met two other Raineys in my life who weren't related to me. And I suspect if I searched back far enough there might indeed have been a family tie with one of them.

The other one, who definitely wasn't related, was named Stephen A. Rainey, and he lived two apartments down from me for a couple of years. The poor mailman just about had to be hauled away to the nuthouse after trying to sort our mail.

When Peg and I went to buy a house, a search for my name and address revealed that a Stephen Rainey at our address owed $13,500 in back taxes and credit was refused.

Yes...it was the OTHER one.

So I had to sign a notarized affidavit that I was a different Rainey, with a different social security number, a different wife, and an altogether different haircut in order to clear my credit.

Oh, and I read a news story a while back that there was a Rainey on death row here in North Carolina for multiple murder. That's not me, either.

There was a Mark Rainey on the TV show Barnaby Jones back in the 70s. He was also a criminal. He was not me.

[shadow=red,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2002, 09:07:40 PM »
Oh, and PS:

Personally, I would live at Collinwood rather than the Evans cottage. While it's a nice place, there's not enough room for many ghosts. Being an old softy when it comes to putting up wandering souls from the afterlife, I'd just have to go with the bigger property.

[shadow=green,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2002, 09:22:37 PM »

Luciaphil, I think you're confusing the poster Raineypark with Mark Rainey, though the names have made me do a double take once or twice too. ;)

Ack, my mistake!  Well, perhaps Raineypark wouldn't mind me sharing the Evans Cottage  ;D

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2002, 12:46:26 AM »
Sigh.....I knew this was going to happen as soon as I saw Mark Rainey's name.  My apologies, as I am REALLY a newbie to this forum, and I suspect that Mark Rainey is not.

My last name is not Rainey, so Mr. Rainey and I are not related.

I would be curious, though, to know if he's related to the family that donated the land in Queens, NY that is known as Rainey Park.  

And no, I wouldn't mind sharing the Evans Cottage...we could set it up kind of like a time share.....
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2002, 12:59:34 AM »
I would be curious, though, to know if he's related to the family that donated the land in Queens, NY that is known as Rainey Park.

Not as far as I know, Raineypark. All my forebears came to America via Georgia, and the bulk of them have remained in the south. Certainly there are exceptions, and there are probably branches of the family that I'm not aware of.

I have been searching, so far in vain, for some heretofore unknown, decidedly wealthy branch that might have moved to Maine way back when and built a nice gothic mansion they're just dying to leave me in their wills. So far, no such luck. But I'll keep searchin'.

[shadow=red,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2002, 01:14:00 AM »
Well, Mark, the Rainey family that donated the park was indeed very wealthy.  But more than that I can't tell you.

You might want to broaden your search to Queens County, NY.  The particular area might be called Astoria, Long Island City, or Ravenswood.  

The park's been called Rainey for at least 60 years, and probably much longer...unless they've changed it in the last few days and forgot to notifiy me personally....I don't live in the area anymore.

Sorry again for the name confusion.  Hopefully the 'regulars' will have no trouble telling us apart soon.
Raineypark
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2002, 03:15:12 AM »
Raineypark, there's absolutely nothing for you to apologize for!  And a belated welcome to you. [okb]

I'd choose Collinwood over any of the others.  I say that without hesitation because I fall in love with the Carey mansion (aka Seaview) all over again with each visit.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2002, 04:29:42 AM »
Well, I do love to see this brought up. I too love to see the new old house. For a long time I thought it was a one bedroom mansion! Then we finally saw Willy's bedroom. So, I am enjoying a more extended glimpse of it too. One question does come up for me, if we are to see the family leave the Old House soon  and noone lived in it in between, then WHERE did the wallpaper come from? That which is old and peeling off the wall in modern times.

I guess I would have to choose Collinwood, but it is a tough choice. I just like the thought of a place so large that entire wings get not only shut off, but forgotten entirely for long periods of time. ;D
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton