Author Topic: OT: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir  (Read 889 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:56:53 AM »
Fans,

It's often discussed how the popularity of DS was in part related to the widespread interest in the occult and the supernatural during the period of the late 1960s and early 1970s.  I just watched the premiere episode of THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (which I actually don't recall having seen before--I'm not sure, but this might have been an unaired pilot):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVRh4AZBl0A

There were elements here that made me think of DS, notably the Captain's portrait, the frequent storms, the seaside cottage, and even the fact that the little boy is the first person (apart from his own descendant) to have contact with the ghost.

For those who never got to see this, I thought it might be worth having a look.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: OT: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:11:34 AM »
I loved that show when I was a kid.  In the 90s they syndicated it, and I managed to save several episodes.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
I, too, enjoyed watching it when I was a kid.  There was such an explosion of TV shows in the mid-to-late sixties, some comedies, other dramas, that were supernatural or sci-fi based.  Along with The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, we had Betwitched, I Dream of Jeannie, My Favorite Martian, The Addams Family, The Munsters, Nanny and the Professor, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost In Space, Star Trek, The Invaders, The Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants and, of course, DS.  I'm sure there were others that I can't think of right now (shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Boris Karloff's Thriller and One Step Beyond were more from the early sixties/late fifties).

Also, if one has never scene the 1947 film based upon the original novel, starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison, by all means, make sure you do.  It appears frequently on TCM, or just rent it.  It's an absolutely wonderful film.  I still cry my eyes out at the ending.  You will, too.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:39 AM »
That was a favorite film of my mother's.  The end is what you never get with the series, of course...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:51:07 AM »
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate