Author Topic: OT: Nice, spooky version of The Turn of the Screw at You Tube, complete  (Read 556 times)

David

Dan Curtis adapted Henry James' The Turn of the Screw twice: as DS' Haunting of Collinwood storyline and as a TV film with Lynn Redgrave.

Here's a neat, literate and spooky TV version from 1995 with Valerie Bertinelli and Dame Diana Rigg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LB_pP3OH90

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I remember watching it when it first aired almost 20 years ago.  I was rather impressed.

Gerard

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Has anyone here seen The Innocents with Deborah Kerr as the governess? It's a very faithful adaptation of the Henry James story.

I didn't know that DC did an adaptation of "The Turn of the Screw." He did a pretty fair Dracula adaptation with an excellent Jack Palance.

Thanks for the link, David-Elijah! That sounds well worth checking out!

Final bit of trivia: Benjamin Britten did a masterful, short opera of the James story with very scary musical effects.

David

OK to call me plain old David! [snow_smiley]
Curtis' Turn of the Screw is on DVD together with his Dracula, Jekyll & Hyde and Dorian Gray.
The box set is titled The Dan Curtis Macabre Collection.
Cutis' Turn of the Screw features the same actress who played Mrs. Grose in The Innocents: in the same role! Also featured in Curtis' version: KL Scott as the ghost of Miss Jessell.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I remember watching Curtis' version on the eve of my eighteenth birthday.

Gerard