Author Topic: Rogues we LOVE to hate  (Read 2022 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Rogues we LOVE to hate
« on: March 10, 2002, 02:59:13 AM »
I cannot take full credit for this topic-Patti gave me the idea. Who are these despicable DS charaters and why do we love to hate them. Is it their comic actions, good looks, or the brilliant method to their madness that make them special? You decide...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Rogues we LOVE to hate
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 03:24:05 AM »
First, since this is my first time seeing pre-1795/romanticized Barn, I'd have to say him.
I was hissing :P at him a few weeks ago, but overall I love him.

Second and Ann, cover your ears...if I'm remembering, I hated Quentin. He was very menacing in pre-1895 eps. Also, he was quite the cad :o

Petofi, Petofi...excellent acting; can't say though as I loved him...but I thoroughly enjoyed Thayer David's acting!!!!

Trask=skunk, in every time/every parallel (although, I never knew him as innocuous lawyer before).

LET US NOT FORGET LOUIS :) :) :)

Always weak, whimpering, yet...mean, stingy, calloused, unloving, narrow-minded, stupid ;D, (think Cass.), dim-witted (think alllllll the unexplained deaths!!), a fairly lousy father, did I say lazy???.....
yet....
I LOVE LOUIS :D :D

Acerbic, catty, good uncle to his Kitten, family respect, only 1 murder (and this is COLLINWOOD we're talking 'bout!!), some business accumen (presumably), knew his brandy from his claret-cakes :D, and was a COLLINS for God's sake!!!

Have fun!
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2002, 06:35:40 PM »
Petofi was evil and any of the Trasks They were fun to watch and i really loved it when they got theirs!!
But angelique was my favorite villian!!!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2002, 07:23:25 PM »
I cannot take full credit for this topic-Patti gave me the idea. Who are these despicable DS charaters and why do we love to hate them. Is it their comic actions, good looks, or the brilliant method to their madness that make them special? You decide...

My Webster's defines rogue as, "a dishonest or worthless person: scoundrel; a mischievous person."  So I think I can't just equate rogue with villain--that lets out an enormous number of characters.  

So with that in mind, I think I'm going to have to say that I rather like Jason.  Scum of the earth, greedy, etc., but he made me laugh.  And he had all that nasty charm.

There's my favorite: Roger.  Again, the humor factor.  Sarcastic wit and vicious, but such fun to watch.

Quentin. Definitely a rogue.

I don't think it's strictly looks that makes them characters we love to hate.  For me, it's the sense of humor.  You've got some people doing some not so nice (or just plain evil) things, but the humor draws you in and adds to the entertainment aspect of it.  Doesn't make these people I would ever, ever, want to know in real life, but it sure makes it fun to watch them.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2002, 08:17:19 PM »
Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!I agree Luciaohil rogues vs villians if we say rogues aren't really evil then my favorite would be Quentin in 1897 he isn't evil but he is a womanizer and .was trying to get in Edith's good graces to get in her will i think these people can change where the truly evil ones can't  such as Petofi,Blair and angelique,though they did change her I never really believed she was truly changed just did it because it fit her agenda at the time!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2002, 08:44:15 PM »
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

The rogue I most love to hate would have to be Nathan Forbes.  The first time that I saw 1795, I was awestruck by Joel Crother's portrayal of him.  Nathan, an anti-Joe if ever there was one, allowed himself to be so thoroughly corrupted by greed that by the end of the sequence, it was hard to believe that he had ever once been a friend of Barnabas and the Collins family.  What a scum!  If I ground my teeth during his testimony at Vicki's trial, I hissed at his treatment of Millicent.  What he did to Naomi was just hateful.  How I wish he and Barnabas would have met for the last time on camera!  It would have been so satisfying to see Lt. Forbes finally get what he deserved.

If we're going to discuss rogues we love to watch, however, my vote goes to Aristede.  Too dimwitted and shallow to be truly evil, he often became trapped in his own mischief.  Though he presented himself as tough and sadistic, anytime that Petofi appeared, he would devolve into a simpering subservient.  The dynamics between him and Petofi were also very entertaining.  They made a classic villain and sidekick pair.  Michael Stroka brought great comic flavor to this role as well as to Bruno in the next story line.

if we say rogues aren't really evil then my favorite
would be Quentin in 1897 he isn't evil but he is a womanizer and .was trying to get in Edith's good graces
to get in her will i think these people can change where the truly evil ones can't  such as Petofi,Blair and angelique

Great distinction, jennifer!

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2002, 09:43:01 PM »
Just love reading the contributions and diverse answers-Keep them coming...

Luciaphil, somehow I knew you would pick up on that trick question...Congrats! ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2002, 10:49:17 PM »
I think I'm going to have to say that I rather like Jason.  Scum of the earth, greedy, etc., but he made me laugh.  And he had all that nasty charm.

There's my favorite: Roger.  Again, the humor factor.  Sarcastic wit and vicious, but such fun to watch.

I couldn't agree with more about these two, Luciaphil! Some of my favorite moments during the Jason/Liz blackmailing storyline were when Jason and Roger traded barbs and non sequiturs with each other. One of their best scenes together has to be the one that took place in Ep #197 in Collinwood's basement when Roger caught Jason snooping around the door to "The Room" and the two of them traded quips about the lock on the door, Jason's supposed collection of locks, and how he switched to collecting stamps. Just hysterical! LOL!
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2002, 12:25:14 AM »
those were all great
Jason with Willie too!
but Prof S i did get a kick of of Aristede he would be so
tough with his knife and then Petofi would turn him into
a little kid(a bad one!).They had some very funny scenes

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2002, 03:42:02 AM »

My Webster's defines rogue as, "a dishonest or worthless person: scoundrel; a mischievous person."  So I think I can't just equate rogue with villain--that lets out an enormous number of characters.  

So with that in mind, I think I'm going to have to say that I rather like Jason.  Scum of the earth, greedy, etc., but he made me laugh.  And he had all that nasty charm.

There's my favorite: Roger.  Again, the humor factor.  Sarcastic wit and vicious, but such fun to watch.

Quentin. Definitely a rogue.

I don't think it's strictly looks that makes them characters we love to hate.  For me, it's the sense of humor.  You've got some people doing some not so nice (or just plain evil) things, but the humor draws you in and adds to the entertainment aspect of it.  Doesn't make these people I would ever, ever, want to know in real life, but it sure makes it fun to watch them.

Luciaphil

Glad you pointed out the difference between a "rogue" and a "villain"...  ;)

Jason is far and away my favorite rogue of the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed Nathan Forbes and Evan Hanley, too...Evan was too much of a screw-up to really be an effective villain, but he certainly qualified as a scoundrel.  :)

IMO, Nicholas Blair falls halfway between a villain and a rogue...he was cruel and immoral, but possessed of a sense of humor, especially in the character's early days...some of the scenes between Nicholas and Cassandra were absolutely priceless.

I think that the early Barnabas, John Yaeger, and Count Petofi, and the head of Judah Zachary were the best villains of the series.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2002, 01:49:06 PM »
Roger Collins was the show's best rogue for me -- in the early episodes, the character was simply reprehensible, but Louis Edmonds played it with such charm and humour.  

Louis just had that wonderful ability to play a blackmail scene like the most cultured and agreeable dinner guest -- I always found myself liking Roger in spite of myself  :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2002, 08:25:10 PM »
Favorite Rogue: Gotta go with the Q-man all the way! [nuts]

Favorite Witch with a capital "B": Angie - though, for a mere mortal, Carolyn had her moments![frkoff]

Favorite Evil Person: Trask - though I think there are a few televangelists today who could give any of the Trasks a run for their collection plates.  I am disgusted by Trask(s) for the very same reason that these people nauseate me - there's nothing worse than someone who claims to represent good but is so obviously rotten to the core.  [batang] [puke]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2002, 08:36:15 PM »
" there's nothing worse than someone who claims to represent good but is so obviously rotten to the core."

We think very much alike, Castlebee.
Raineypark 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 09:13:13 PM »
My favorite rogue is Jason McGuire, he can be so charming and so smooth at times you can't help but be taken in....but he never really lets you forget what a scoundrel he is every time he was threatening to rat out Elizabeth over [spoiler]her husband's "murder."[/spoiler]

I liked Nicholas too for pretty much the same reasons. Like Jason, he can lay on the charms but when threatened he can be very nasty.

Must confess I never liked Nathan Forbes though I thought Joel Crothers was brilliant in the role. He really showed his versitility playing two different characters....from the sweet, lovable Joe to the thouroughly detestable Nathan Forbes.

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 11:57:44 PM »
My favorite rogue is Jason McGuire

Agree with this one! I disliked him even more than all versions of the Trasks--he just made my skin crawl!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."