Author Topic: Totally Off Topic - Eagles  (Read 676 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Totally Off Topic - Eagles
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:40:50 PM »
I thought that some here would be interested in this and so hope it's all right to post something so far off topic.

We recently had a pair of bald eagles make a nest here (Pittsburgh, PA). Apparently, it’s been about 200 years since they’ve been in this area. It shows that the environment has really improved. There are also 2 other nests in the vicinity. This same pair was here last year and raised one eaglet. This time she laid 3 eggs (apparently 3 is unusual). The first hatched on Friday and the second this morning, so presumably a couple of days for the other.

They have a camera on the nest so one can watch them all day! At night it turns black and white. Occasionally they pan around the area, especially if they are trying to locate the other one or something is happening. One night a raccoon got to the nest and the female chased it off. A few days ago a hawk was circling the tree. It’s really fascinating!! If one is watching at the right moment, you get to see both of them together as they change places. And now, when they get up, you can see the eaglets and watch them feed them.  At this point they are still under the parent with the remaining egg.  There is also an archive where one can go back and check anything interesting.

Someone said that Diane Sawyer would have it on the news tonight at 6:30.

So, in case anyone is interested in watching, here’s the link:
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/hays-bald-eagle-cam/
That one has a chat and many are very knowledgeable.  That's how I get most of my information.

There is also another link  http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pittsburgh-bald-eagles/theater, or one can go to the website of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and they have a link.

The archives are at:  http://beta.wildearth.tv/video-archives.  That was down earlier today, but seems to be back now.  The archive includes cameras for lots of other things, too.  This one is Pittsburgh Bald Eagles.  I usually choose “every minute” - it doesn’t take long to scroll through them and then one can find the exact spot one wants.

Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Off Topic - Eagles
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »
Pittsburgh=Bald Eagles
Thank you Josette...in a million years, I would not have thought of it.
I hope it at LEAST makes your local news; I'll post if by some miracle it's on either ABC with Diane Sawyer or GMA.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Off Topic - Eagles
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:53:59 AM »
It wasn't Diane on Sunday and it was a 6:00 show, so it aired just before 6:30.  They did a nice feature on it, though.  Our local stations have been covering it.  There are two eaglets as of Sunday morning and the third is expected any time.  It is SO adorable when they feed them.  They are a fuzzy gray and I think the 2nd is as big as the first.
Josette