Author Topic: #1165/1166: Robservations 11/13/03: Gaslighting Daphne  (Read 1356 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1165/1166: Robservations 11/13/03: Gaslighting Daphne
« on: November 12, 2003, 11:28:28 AM »
1165 - Police station - Quentin paces his cell.

Daphne stands in the drawing room, trembling.  We see a shadow reflected on the foyer side of the drawing room doors--Samantha's.  She enters the drawing room and asks what Daphne is carrying on about--she heard her all the way upstairs.  Nothing, Daphne assures her, no one, I was just frightened--I was alone and I thought I hard someone and I saw a cape there in the hallway.  A cape? asks Sam, I saw no cape.  It's by the clock, Daphne tells her.  Sam checks and finds nothing there.  You were frightened by your own imagination, says Sam nastily--I've known all along that you weren't fit to be my son's governess.  Please don't say that, it isn't true, says Daphne, I'm devoted to Tad.  I've never believed that for a moment, says Sam--my husband hired a pretty face, not a governess--suddenly spying something at the window, Samantha opens her mouth and whispers, "Oh, my God--there was a figure there by the tree--there was someone there and it disappeared!"  Who was it--tell me what she looked like! demands Daphne.  Samantha asks her how she knew it was a woman.
Caught, Daphne blathers that she didn't.  Yes, you knew what I saw, insists Sam--it was some kind of spirit.  No, says Daphne, turning away.  That's why you were hysterical when I came in the room, says Sam, because you knew you weren't alone!  Daphne insists that's not true.  I know what I saw, says Sam--I could feel its evilness--and you brought it to this house--stay away from my son from now on, do you understand?  Daphne follows her from the room, trying to catch up with her, but to no avail.  Daphne stares at the empty spot where Joanna's cloak had been.

Jail - Tell me what happened this morning, Quentin asks Desmond.  A new judge, Vail, arrived today, says Desmond, I had a long talk with him--he denied a motion to postpone the trial.  That means I go on public display tomorrow? asks Quentin sourly.  I'm afraid so, says Desmond.--Amos Fuller, the county prosecutor, resigned.  Who's going to handle the prosecution? asks Quentin.  Desmond explains they have until tomorrow to decide if they keep up their current pace, I wouldn't be surprised if they named Trask.  They couldn't do that, says Quentin.  They can do anything they want, says Desmond, there are no rules of reason anymore, just hysteria and fear in this town--they can only hope they choose a prosecutor with a streak of decency in him.

Samantha finds Tad sitting on the floor in front of the fire and tells him he should be in bed.  I was, but couldn't sleep, he says--I keep thinking about tomorrow, and what's going to happen to Father--he hasn't done any of those things they said he's done--Mother, he doesn't practice witchcraft--I don't understand why they arrested him.  It does no good thinking about it, she says evasively, we must wait and hope for the best.  She tells him she'll take him upstairs.  Not yet, he says solemnly--you've got to go to court tomorrow--they'll listen to you--you've got to tell them everything they're saying against Father isn't true--will you do that?  Samantha looks guiltily at her son.

Why won't you answer me? demands Tad--you will try to help Father, won't you?  She looks away, telling him he must understand--this won't be an ordinary trial, they don't know yet what will be accepted and what won't.  All I know and care about, says Tad, is the innocence of my father.  I understand that, says Sam, you must be reasonable--there's been so much tragedy recently, and the people in the village are terribly disturbed by it.  She caresses his face.  They know he wouldn't hurt anyone, protests Tad.  Yes, but when people are terribly frightened, they don't act with reason, says Sam.
You've got to go to them, Tad tells her, and show them the truth.  Yes, she says, Desmond will do everything in his power to tell them that.  He goes to stand beside her and asks, "Don't YOU want to help Father?"  Of course, she assures him (liar), I want to tell you something--no matter what happens, I love you deeply, and I ask you to have faith in me--she takes his hands in hers--will you?  I will, he says, of course I will.  Then we will see this through together, she says, hugging him. Desmond enters and Tad runs to him, asking if he's seen his father.  He's going to be fine, Desmond assures him.  Sam tells Tad to go to bed, she must speak to Desmond.  When you see my father, says Tad, tell him I've been thinking of him, and praying for him.  Desmond promises to do that, and Tad goes upstairs.  Desmond joins Sam in the drawing room, asking how Tad is taking it.  How would you expect him to take it? she asks bitterly, there must be some way I can get Tad to leave this place.  At the age of 21, says Desmond, Tad inherits the Collins fortune, if he leaves this house, he gets nothing, do you want that?  No, she says, but I can't let him stay in this place any longer, it's not healthy for him.
You can't have it both ways, says Desmond, everything depends on the trial--if we can establish Quentin's innocence, Tad's place in the will becomes academic.  Quentin will return as master of Collinwood, says Sam angrily, and everything will be the way it was!  I should think you would prefer that instead of Gerard? asks Desmond.  It's choosing between two evils, Sam insists (she once had to choose a husband between them).  No matter what your personal feelings are, insists Desmond, Quentin is not an evil man and you know it!  She looks at him and doesn't reply, then turns and asks what he thinks Quentin's prospects are tomorrow?  I don't know, I can only guess, says Desmond.

At the jail, Quentin orders a reluctant Daphne to turn around and look at him--there's no use trying to hide it, something's wrong--and you're going to tell me about it.  I don't know how, she says.  It has something to do with Joanna, doesn't it? he asks.  Yes she says--she has come back from the grave--I'm sure of that now!--I found another of her notes tonight, and every moment afterwards, I could feel her presence.  What did the note say? asks Quentin.  What difference does that make? she asks, but he wants to know.  She hands him the note:  H reads: Dear sister, you're in danger and I must save you--better you're with me than with Quentin Collins--I'm coming for you now--please do not be afraid, what I do, I do with love, your sister Joanna."  I don't believe it, says Quentin, Joanna would never do a thing like this.  I know it's Joanna, says Daphne, I found her cape, but when I went back to look for her, it disappeared.  Did you see her? asks Quentin.  No, I didn't, but Samantha did, she tells him--we were in the drawing room, arguing, and then suddenly she looked up and saw Joanna's spirit behind me.  She saw the ghost? asks Quentin--did she know who it was?  No, she's never seen Joanna, says Daphne, closing her eyes, she accused me of bringing evil into the house, and told me never to go near Tad again.  Listen to me, says Quentin--she has nothing to do with that, I hired you--if anything happens, you go to Gerard and talk to him--you can depend on him--do you understand.  Yes, says Daphne, but. . .I'll do whatever you want me to.  He takes her face in his hands through the bars and tells her not to go to the village--a lot of people are talking of a witch's cult--he doesn't want Daphne connected too closely with him.  She assures him those people don't frighten her.  When you leave here, try not to be seen, he says--you didn't show these notes to Samantha, did you?  Of course not, I didn't say anything to her, Daphne says.  Good, he says, it's hard to tell what she'd do if she found out about them.  I shouldn't have told you about this, says Daphne, you've got enough to worry about with the trial tomorrow.  Tomorrow, repeats Quentin, disturbed.

Courtroom - The three-judge tribunal takes their seats, Judge Vail, seated in the center, bangs the gavel (the other judges are silent and paid less).  Judge Vail intones, "According to the provision of this statute invoked on Tuesday last, this high tribunal is now in session."  Desmond, sitting beside Quentin, rises and respectfully asks the judge how it is possible to be in session in the absence of a prosecuting attorney.  As you know, says the judge, the local prosecutor tendered his resignation early yesterday morning.  Yes, and I just learned the reason just a few hours ago, says Desmond--the defense now requests that it be put into the record that Amos Fuller resigned his post because the very idea of these proceedings was repugnant to him--I want it known there was at least one voice of reason in this wilderness of hysteria and fear.  The courtroom erupts in an outburst of chatter.  The request is granted, says Judge Vail, there is no need to editorialize on it.  I also move that this trial, or whatever it is to be called, says Desmond, be terminated on the grounds that it is unconstitutional.  This tribunal is empowered to act by a law that you are already familiar with, the judge reminds him--the motion is denied.  More chatter.  Desmond, looking pissed, goes to sit beside Quentin again.  Earlier today, says Judge Vail, it fell upon this tribunal to appoint a new prosecuting attorney.  Mr. Collins, your adversary has just arrived--Mr. Charles Dawson.  Desmond gazes at him with hatred.

This is impossible! says Desmond.  I apologize for the delay, says Dawson, bringing paperwork up to the judges, but due to the lateness of my appointment to this post, I only now have the credentials necessary for me to appear here--I'm sure you'll find these in order.  The judge takes the paperwork and looks it over.  I know how shocked you must be, Dawson tells Quentin, but someone had to prosecute this case, and I promise you at least a fair trial.  Nothing you say here can make me believe that says Desmond through gritted teeth, only the way you conduct the prosecution (get him, Des!)  Thank you very much for your concern, says Quentin.  Dawson walks away.  Quentin leans over and asks Desmond why he's so upset--he's Gerard's friend.  That is precisely why I'm so upset, says Desmond, this man is not here make the law, he's here to crucify you.  Quentin tells him they've got to give him the benefit of the doubt--they can't continue to blame Gerard for everything.  Has anyone given you the benefit of the doubt? demands Desmond, who rises and informs the judge he objects to this man being made county prosecutor, as a non-resident of Collinsport, he is not liable to practice law in this court!  Judge Vail says that Dawson has been a legal resident of Collinsport since last week.  That's not long enough, says Desmond, a man must be a resident for at least three calendar months!  Dawson says that law applies only in standard courtroom cases, not in these proceedings.  That's right, says Vail, your objection is overruled.  Exception, insists Desmond.  The judge bangs the gavel and orders Desmond to bear in mind that this is a tribunal designated to hear a charge of witchcraft brought against his client, and it's the duty of the presiding judge to lay down the rules--and the duty of both sides to abide by them--Mr. Dawson, you may present your opening remarks.  Dawson thanks the judge, and Desmond tells Quentin he'll get an opportunity to see for himself.  Dawson addresses the judges: "In recent months, the people of this community have been victimized by a series of regrettable incidents, the cause of which are not immediately discernible--however, thanks to the diligence and perseverance of certain prominent citizens, it became known that these incidents were the result of the practice of witchcraft--these same citizens soon pinpointed the source of this evil, and it is the intention of the prosecution in this case to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that these willful acts of sorcery were perpetrated, with malice aforethought, by the defendant, Quentin Collins" (he points to him dramatically.)  "His guilt shall be determined here," continues Dawson, "and when it is, the prosecution will ask for the ultimate penalty under the law which has convened this tribunal--Quentin Collins shall be publicly beheaded!"  More courtroom chatter.  Desmond turns to Quentin and says well?  Send for Gerard, says Quentin, furious, I want to talk to him right away.  Do you have any opening remarks? The judge asks Desmond, who stands and says he only wants to reiterate his objections to the legality of these proceedings, I have nothing more to say, Your Honor.  The judge orders Dawson to call his first witness.  If it please the court, says Dawson, the prosecution had intended to call as its first witness Mr. Lamar Trask, whose testimony is considers vital to this case--however, I should like to postpone Mr. Trask's appearance in favor of another witness, one who came forth this morning with information I feel may expedite a decision in this case--Samantha Collins.  Objection! Shouts Desmond--under the law, she cannot take the witness stand!  May I ask why not? queries Dawson.  You know very well why not, says Desmond, she is the defendant's wife--and he would have to waive his constitutional rights--and he will NOT waive them!  The estate would point out to the counselor that the law which applies here pre-dates the constitution by almost a hundred years.  The judge tells Desmond there is nothing in the law that states a wife may not testify against her husband--there is, indeed, ample evidence that in trials of this nature, wives were allowed to take the witness stand.  Your honor, may I have a ruling? Demands Desmond.  Your objection is overruled, says Judge Vail--the tribunal calls Samantha Collins.  She enters the courtroom and Quentin stares at her with hatred.  She is sworn in on a bible and swears to tell the whole truth.  Dawson asks her how long she's been married to the defendant.  Almost 16 years, she says.  How long have you known for an absolute fact that Quentin Collins indulged in occult practices.
For as long as I have been married to him, says Sam.  Desmond has his fist pressed against his forehead, and objects, insisting he wants the term occult practices defined. The judge tells Desmond the court would interpret this phrase to mean any act of witchcraft or sorcery perpetrated against another human being.  Desmond says the defense is very happy with that definition, and thus asks the prosecution to re-phrase the question.  The judge tells him to do so.  I withdraw the question, says Dawson--Mrs. Collins, I know you must have searched your conscience long and hard before deciding to take the stand against your husband--will you tell the court specifically what brought you to this decision?  My husband has always dabbled in the occult, she says, even though he's been repeatedly warned not to do so by his own father.  Objection, says Desmond, the witness is not giving a direct answer to the question.  Sustained, says the judge--Mrs. Collins, the counsel for the prosecution has asked you to testify to a specific incident--please do so.  I have witnessed the fact that my husband has communicated with the dead, and is responsible for bringing an alien spirit into the house! says Sam--I do not know why he has done this, except to terrorize all who live there--but I swear, the spirit is at large in the house.  Tell the court how you know that, asks Dawson.  Because, she replies, I have seen it.  Am I to believe the court will accept this hysterical testimony? Demands Desmond--it is not only possible, but highly likely, that what Samantha Collins saw was a figment of her own imagination!  I did not imagine it, says Sam, and I am not the only person in this courtroom who has seen the ghost!  Who else has seen it? demands Dawson.  That woman, there, Daphne Harridge, says Sam, pointing accusingly
--not only has she seen the ghost, but she has known of its existence for a very long time!

NOTES:  Shame on Samantha for testifying against Quentin, especially after he begged her to help him!  Whether Quentin is his father or not, biologically, he is Tad's father as far as the boy knows, and they love each other.  This is inexcusable--she is spiteful and vindictive--there is no evidence Quentin brought this ghost out!

I always wondered just how much the DS writers wrote their own laws for 1840.  Some of this just seemed too much.  Wives testifying against husbands?  Was it ever allowed in our history?

So, is Joanna really haunting Collinwood?  Does she mean harm to Daphne, or to help her?

Love the courtroom theatrics.  Karlen is really chewing up the scenery as defending counsel, having a great time, from the looks of things.

Quentin and Samantha have been married 16 years?  They must have been teens when they wed.

1166 - Quentin gazes at Daphne as the courtroom goes wild.  Daphne Harridge knows the evil Quentin has brought to Collinwood, says Samantha, still pointing at Daphne.  Desmond objects--Daphne Harridoge is not on trial here.  The witness is stating a fact, not making an accusation, says Dawson.  Desmond says if it is a fact that Collinwood is haunted, it has nothing to do with the charges against the defendant.  I will prove that it does if I am allowed to continue, says Dawson.  Objection overruled, says the judge, continue, Mr. Dawson.  Charles goes over to a table and asks Samantha to identify her husband's diary.  Dawson goes on, saying the state intends to show that the spirit to which Mrs. Collins makes reference appeared at Collinwood in response to a summons made by Quentin and Daphne.  I invite you to read ther pertinent passage to the court, says Dawson.  Sam reads about Daphne and Quentin having a seance--they were desperate to contact Joanna's spirit--she appeared to them for a fleeting second--"I must keep trying, I must find a way to communicate with her."  Did you write that? Desmond mutters to Quentin, who just looks down in disgust.  Dawson thanks Samantha and asks if the defendant denies this is his personal journal.  We do not deny it, says Desmond.  I offer this as Exhibit A in the State's evidence against Quentin Collins, says Dawson, handing it to Judge Vail--tell the court when you first saw the spirit of this Joanna, he instructs Samantha.  Last evening, she says, I came downstairs and heard Miss Harridge behaving hysterically in the drawing room--I went in to reprimand her and saw the spirit of a woman.  A woman like the spirit Mr. Collins conjured up! says Dawson, but Desmond ojects to the phrase, "conjured up." The judge sustains that one, saying it shall be stricken.  Dawson says he has no further questions for Samantha, but before Desmond cross-examines her, Dawson requests that Daphne Harridge take the stand.  Desmond insists that's absurd, he has every right to cross-examine this witness before another is called (sounds judicial to me).  Quentin looks at Daphne.  Dawson assures Desmond he isn't challenging his rights; he will be given a chance to cross-examine Mrs. Collins.  I demand that opportunity now, says Desmond, what Counsel requests is totally ridiculous!  Judge Vail says he wishes to remind Desmond that the ordinary procedures are not operative in this trial.  That's not fair play, says Desmond--I insist I cross examine this witness now, not whenever it strikes the whim of Mr. Dawson or the court!  Vail advises him that this tribunal has not been convened to act upon whim, and it shall not so act--I see no harm in Mr. Dawson's request--he may be allowed to ask Miss Harridge to testify.  Exception, says Desmond.  Noted, says the judge, and tells Samantha to step down.  Daphne is called to the witness stand, and as she and Samantha pass each other, they exchange looks.  Daphne looks at Quentin, who gazes lovingly back at her.  Daphne stands there and refuses to testify against Quentin, she says, because he is innocent--the only testimony I will give is in his defense!  Quentin grins proudly.

Dawson asks the court to remind Daphne that she must obey its wishes, and the judge says under the law being invoked here, she is obligated to take the witness stand upon the request of either counsel.  Daphne is sworn in and pledges to tell the truth.  She goes to the witness stand.  Dawson asks if she did take part in the seance Quentin mentioned.  Yes, she admits.  He orders her to tell whose idea it was to conduct the seance.  She looks at Quentin and reluctantly says it was Quentin's.  Did the spirit of Joanna Mills appear upon Mr. Collins' summons? Asks Dawson.  Yes, she says.  Dawson asks why she was willing to particulate in this seance?  Because Mr. Collins asked me to as a favor.  But why you in particular? he asks, pointing his finger in her face.  Desmond jumps up, declaring the question irrelevant.  Sustained, says the judge.  Dawson says he has no further questions for Daphne.  Desmond comes up and says it seems his colleague overlooked the most important question of all--what was the purpose of the seance?  There had been a number of disturbances in the house, she replies, and Mr. Collins was very upset by them--Mr. Collins called them astral disturbances--thing began to appear in the house, such as gloves and a purse that belonged to Joanna Mills--and then one night Mr. Collins heard music playing that had always been associated with her--the source of the music remained a mystery.  Then Mr. Collins felt he was being haunted by someone from his past, is that true? asks Desmond.  Yes, she says.  So actually the purpose of the seance was to try to put the spirit to rest, asks Desmond.  Dawson objects--counsel is leading the witness.  The judge sustains and asks Desmond to re-phrase.  How did Quentin react to these astral disturbances? Asks Desmond.  She explains that she'd say he was emotionally upset by him.  In your opinion, asks Desmond, was he a tormented man?  Yes, she responds, I think he definitely was.  And you think his only motive for holding the seance was to rid himself of these spirits? Asks Desmond.  Yes, that was his one and only motive, agrees Daphne.  Desmond thanks her and says he has no further questions.  Daphne is told to step down.  Quentin smiles proudly at her.  Desmond now wants to call the prosecution's first witness.  The judge orders Sam to the stand.  Desmond says it's most unusual for a wife to testifying against her own husband--why did she do it?  Because, she says, I felt I had knowledge that should not have been withheld from this trial and because I thought it my duty to come forward.  Let's discuss this knowledge you speak of, says Desmond--you have alleged that you saw spirits of the dead.  Sam says it wasn't an allegation; it was a fact.  Can you describe these ghosts you claim to have seen? asks Desmond.  Yes, she says, this ghost was a woman, young, wearing a cape.  Precisely where did you see her? asks Desmond.  The drawing room at Collinwood, she replies.  And how did you know she was a ghost? asks Desmond--did she speak to you, or have you seen many ghosts in your life?  Dawson objects.  Samantha says she knew it was a ghost because she disappeared before my very eyes.  Did she say anything to you before she disappeared? demands Desmond.  No, says Sam.  In other words, accuses Desmond, she just appeared, then disappeared!  Exactly! says Sam.  Then why do you insist on putting this on the head of Quentin Collins? asks Desmond.  Dawson objects--the defendant's connection with the spirit has already been established by his own diary!  The judge sustains.  Mrs. Collins, says Desmond, you say you felt it was your duty to step forward--don't you feel you have certain duties as a wife?  In my opinion, she says, this was the higher of the two duties.  In my opinion, says Desmond, you came here because you hate him!  Dawson objects, the judge sustains.  Sam denies it's true.  The judge tells her the court isn't interested in her opinion, she will kindly confine herself to the facts.  Were you or were you not motivated by hatred of your husband? demands Desmond.  No, I was not! she cries.  DO you love Quentin Collins? shouts Desmond.  The courtroom erupts, with Dawson objecting and the judge sustaining, but Sam insists on answering, "No, I do not love my husband!"
Quentin smiles at the way Desmond trapped Samantha.  The judge insists the statement will be stricken from the record.  Desmond has no further questions, and the judge tells Sam to step down.  Dawson says he has a few more questions for her, and asks Sam why she thinks her husband tried to summon up a spirit from beyond the grave--does she think his motive had anything to do with her--and tell the court why.  This woman, says Sam, whose spirit my husband was trying to bring back, Joanna Mills, was Quentin Collins mistress!  This upsets both Daphne and Quentin.

Dawson continues--wasn't it true, Mrs. Collins, that when Miss Mills was alive, she almost broke up your marriage?  Yes, says Sam, it's true.  But you refused to allow the marriage to be dissolved? Asks Dawson.  That's right, she says.  And because of his bitterness over your decision, says Dawson, he tried to summon the spirit of his mistress to haunt you!  Desmond objects, the judge sustains.  Dawson has no further questions, and Sam is released.  Desmond asks that Sam's testimony be stricken from the record.  On what grounds? demands Dawson.  On the grounds that she is a prejudiced witness, says Desmond--and her allegations have not been borne out--on the contrary, it has been shown here that Quentin Collins is the hapless victim in this matter, and the only purpose for holding the seance was to try to put Joanna's soul to rest.  Dawson tells the judge that Mrs. Collins' testimony does not constitute the whole of the prosecution's case, but it is vital to the overall information I intend to bring forward.  Desmond says that has nothing whatsoever to do with this case--the charge is witchcraft--and as unjust as I think it to be, I insist we adhere to this charge--and Samantha Collins' testimony has nothing to do with this charge!--anybody can hold a seance, anybody can try to communicate with the dead, that does not constitute witchcraft!  Dawson urges the judges to consider this decision very carefully.  Vail says the counsel may rest assured they will.  The judges confer and chatter breaks out in the courtroom as everyone watches the judges discuss the matter.  Miraculously, considering everything else has been going so badly for Quentin thus far, Judge Vail announces it is the opinion of this tribunal that Samantha Collins' testimony has not been proved, and in fact is not germane to the central idea of this case, namely the idea of witchcraft
--therefore, the motion of the defense is to be granted--the testimony of Samantha Collins will be stricken from the record.  Dawson rises to his feet and comes to the bench, objecting like crazy.  You may take exception, instructs Judge Vail, you may not object.  Dawson chooses exception.  Noted, says the Judge, adjourning the tribunal until 10 Monday morning.  (I do like the courtroom set.)  We not it is now five minutes to four.

Samantha paces the drawing room at Collinwood.  When Daphne returns, she meets her in the foyer, remarking that it took her a long time to come back from the courtroom.  Daphne apologizes.  Did you stop in the jail to see my husband, or should I say your lover? Demands Samantha.  Daphne turns to looks at her and tells her Quentin is not her lover.  Even if that's true now, it's only a matter of time, isn't it? asks Sam.  I don't know what you're talking about, says Daphne.  You're in love with my husband, accuses Sam--that was quite evident from your testimony, you're hopelessly in love with him, just as Joanna Mills was!--well, you're wasting your time--my husband will be found guilty and then he will die.  Daphne surveys her solemnly.

You really want to see Quentin dead, don't you? asks Daphne icily.  I want the peace of mind he never gave me, says Samantha.  I don't see how you can even live with yourself after what you did today, says Daphne.  I did what I had to do, says Sam.  Is that what you're going to tell your son? demands Daphne.  If you're planning to tell Tad, says Sam threateningly.  I won't have to tell Tad, Daphne reminds her, you will--because he's bound to be curious what happened in court, what you told him, and if you lie to him, he'll know about it, he's an intelligent boy.  I know my son loves me! Samantha interrupts, I know that!--and I know he will understand I testified the only way that I could--you see, I did not go into that courtroom voluntarily, I was subpoenaed by Mr. Dawson.  Daphne smiles and asks her how she arranged that.
How dare you speak to me like that! says Samantha.  I'll speak to you any way I wish now, says Daphne, because I no longer care what happens to me.  Then it won't be a surprise to you to know you are discharged as of this moment, says Sam--pack your things, get out, the sooner the better!  Daphne says, "I don't think you're capable of really loving anyone--I wish I could hate you but I don't--I only feel so very sorry for you"--and she walks away into the kitchen area.  Samantha seems about to say something further, but it silent.

Desmond grins at Quentin through the bars of his cell.  Quentin praises him, saying for a man who hasn't practiced law in a long time, he did a very good job.  This is no time to be congratulating ourselves, says Desmond, let's be realistic--we repudiated Samantha's testimony, but she's only one witness--there are still others to come.  Quentin doesn't care, he is very encouraged by today.  What will you do about your so-called friend Gerard? asks Desmond.  Quentin says he'll talk with him later.  Don't you realize Dawson is crucifying you there in that courtroom? asks Desmond, and it was Gerard's doing?  You may be very right about Gerard, admits Quentin, but I do think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt--I'll have a nice long talk with him, then we'll know what we need to know.  I only hope you know what you're doing, says Desmond.  Samantha comes in.  Quentin tells her the two of them have nothing to say to each other, so get out.  I have something to say to you, says Samantha.  Desmond excuses himself, saying he'll be back.  Say what you have to say, then leave, says Quentin, facing away from her.  It's a pleasure, she says, I have no desire to be with you any longer than necessary--I thought you would like to know your paramour has been discharged--I have dismissed Daphne Harridge as Tad's governess.  You can't do that, insists Quentin.  I have already done it, she says, smiling.
You don't have the authority to do it, he says, Daphne is going to stay at Collinwood as long as I want her to!  You are no longer master of Collinwood, she reminds him, have you forgotten--Gerard Stiles is.  All right, says Quentin, Gerard is in charge--do you have his consent?  I don't need it, she says, Tad is my son, I know what's best for him.  You listen to me! he demands, I'm going to have a long talk with Gerard--I intend for Daphne to stay at Collinwood--and there's not a thing you're going to do about it.  I can take this matter to the divorce courts if you force me to, she warns him, you're in enough trouble without being involved in a romantic scandal--think of the effect that will have on Tad.  You wouldn't do that, says Quentin.  Oh yes I would, says Sam, quite frankly, I don't care whether your Daphne stays or leaves--you can have her by your side for the whole trial if you think it will do you any good--Tad is my only concern--and I don't want that girl around him--do you understand?  She gives him a last look and leaves.  Quentin leans back against the bars, exhausted.

Collinwood - Daphne reads a book in the drawing room and falls asleep in the chair.  She's wearing a nightgown, tosses her bridal dress on the bed, calls it the most beautiful room she's ever seen (it looks like Josette's room).  Gerard, I'm so happy, she exults.  She calls to him, but he doesn't respond, and she keeps calling to him, asking where he is--why has he left her alone?   The camera focuses on her wedding dress.  Daphne awakens.  It's happened again! she says--another dream!--but why can't I remember any of them?--and why are they so disturbing--why are they happening to me?--a room, there was a room I've never seen before--but where is it?  She goes searching and finds the room, pushes open the doors and turns on a lamp.
Candles are lit, and it definitely appears to be a clone of Josette's room, but at Collinwood--and there, on the bed, is the wedding gown from her dream!

NOTES:  Those dreams are really something, and getting to Daphne in a big way--the previous one made her try to kiss Gerard.  Now, however, she's found something far more concrete--a real room and a real dress.  What it will all mean, where Gerard is leading her, seems pretty obvious.  Nice dress, too.

These courtroom scenes!  Is it me, or is everyone overacting all of a sudden?  There seems to be some kind of hysteria duel going between the defense and prosecuting attorneys, and it really got high-handed there for a while.  I didn't remember if the judges disallowed Sam's testimony, and I was sure they wouldn't given how unfortunate Quentin's been thus far, but that was a coup.

Where are Barnabas and Julia?  Shouldn't they be involved in all this?

Delicious fight scenes between Samantha and Quentin and then Sam and Daphne (your LOVER!?).  Samantha has a giant-sized secret, folks, that will really stun you.  She's truly is a bad lady, but so much fun to watch play with people she doesn't like.  She's embittered, perhaps rightly so, but trust me, she doesn't deserve much sympathy from or for the devil.

Two very lengthy episodes today, and my hands are tired!

Love, Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: #1165/1166: Robservations 11/13/03: Gaslighting Daphne
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 01:28:40 AM »
Some of this just seemed too much.  Wives testifying against husbands?  Was it ever allowed in our history?

As far as I know, spousal immunity has never prevented anyone from testifying against their spouse - it's simply that they can't be compelled to testify against them if they don't want to. And the spouse on trial can't prevent their spouse from testifying against them.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Re:#1165/1166: Robservations 11/13/03: Gaslighting Daphne
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 05:58:06 PM »
Thanks again, Robin, for the detailed and insightful plot summary!  I forgot to change the channel on my cable box, but your summary puts me right back in the story.  Sorry to have missed the "chew up the scenery" courtroom scenes but your summary is so good that I can hear and visualize it all very well.

Although I have seen the 1840 plotline before, I don't recall what Sam's deep, dark secret was, so I am really looking forward to that now!

Best regards,

Happybat  [blackbat]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher