Author Topic: #1163/1164: Robservations 11/12/03: Roxanne Returns  (Read 1234 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1163/1164: Robservations 11/12/03: Roxanne Returns
« on: November 11, 2003, 01:40:28 PM »
1163 - Flora sits unhappily in Rose Cottage, listening to a mob of people roaring outside.  Leticia runs in, breathless, saying how terrible it was--the people were chasing her--she'd gone to see Quentin, but he was in court--she came out of the jail and a crowd had gathered round--and someone yelled, "She's one of them--she's got second sight!"--and they started coming toward me, so I ran in here!  How terrifying, Flora agrees.
I've been thinking about poor Daniel all morning, laments Flora, who is dressed in black, and how sad it is that he died before knowing Quentin was innocent, but now I'm not sure--perhaps his death was a kindness.  I'm just terrified what's going to happen, says Leticia, when they bring Quentin to that funeral today.  The door opens and Desmond walks in.  His mother starts to tell him what happened, but he says, "Wait, Mother--I've just come from the pre-trial hearing--Quentin is not going to be tried for the murder of Randall Drew."  Flora and Leticia smile, relieved.  Then Desmond drops the bomb: "He is going to be tried for witchcraft!"  The woman are horrified.

Witchcraft! whispers Leticia.  That's ridiculous! scoffs Flora.  Of course, agrees Desmond, but they still have this old statute law on the books--he can be tried for witchcraft!  But they have no case against him! protests Leticia.  They think they have, says Desmond--what's so difficult is that stairway Quentin build that supposedly leads into time--he pours himself a drink--I always thought it was some harmless eccentricity, but they won't find it that way in court--and of course there's the voodoo doll Trask found in Quentin's lab--it does belong to Quentin, you, know.  I wish I understood that, says Flora, when I think of how ill you were--you would have died if Trask and Gerard hadn't removed the scarf from the doll's neck.  I don't think it was any accident that Gerard untied that scarf, says Desmond viciously.  You think it was Gerard causing all this? asks Leticia.  Yes, says Desmond, I do--Mother, the penalty under this old law for witchcraft is beheading.  Oh no! cries Flora.  Who would benefit if Quentin was beheaded? demands Desmond--Gerard--he would keep Collinwood and all the money.  Gerard has not hurt anyone during his stay here, says Flora severely, and I see no reason to think he'll change--obviously, someone is scheming against Quentin, but it is not Gerard--I have a keen sense of character, I have to have--people are my business  (doesn't she seem much less flighty than she originally was--and so wrong in her character-reading ability?)  Flora leaves the room.  Leticia has been thinking hard.  I suppose you agree with her, says Desmond.  I don't know, she replies, I just wish you wouldn't talk so against him--he can be dangerous to his enemies.  You can help us, says Desmond.  Oh, I want to help you, Desmond, she says eagerly.  When you first met Gerard, asks Desmond, didn't you first dabble in witchcraft?  She bursts into laughter and says that Gerard would have liked to--that's why he came back to the states to see her--at the Tiffany Music Hall--he was fascinated by her--she thought it was because she was. . .pretty, sort of.  You are pretty, agrees Desmond.  Do you think so? she asks--that's nice to hear--but all he wanted to know was how I could read minds the way I do--he had no powers of his own (not then, anyway).  Desmond closes his eyes miserably, saying he kept hoping he could find out something concrete--"I have got to find out who is behind all this--I need help from someone or something if I am going to save Quentin!"  She tells him she'll help him--she doesn't know how, but she will.  He slides a hand over her cheek and tells her she really is sweet, then moves to kiss her, but she pulls away.  Staring into his eyes, she says she's been kissed before--but no one ever called her sweet.  They smile at each other.  (Such a nice scene.)

Flora and Carrie, both in black, exit the Collins tomb, carrying handkerchiefs.  Flora tells Carrie that Daniel was a marvelous man--few people appreciate that today.  He always treated my grandfather Ben ever so nicely, agrees Carrie.  Dabbing her nose, Flora says the service is today.  Desmond and Leticia join them, and he asks his mother if she's ready to go.  What a dreadful day this has been! says Flora--poor Quentin manacled, Samantha never once looking at him, everyone treating him, except Gerard and us, like a pariah--what's happened to our family?  Carrie spots something that makes her gasp--someone's been watching us--there, she says.  We see a pair of boots retreating on the leaf-strewn ground.

Rose Cottage - Desmond, Carrie, Leticia and Flora have tea.  Desmond tells Carrie he'll send her to Collinwood in a carriage.  Please, she says, I do want to walk--it's not dark out yet--and you couldn't find anyone in the bushes--I'll be all right--she thanks Flora for letting her stay to tea, and for letting her stay with her.  A pleasure, says Flora--we'll see you tomorrow.  Leticia remembers she had a bottle of scent she promised Carrie, and the two young women exit the room.  What a lovely girl, says Flora, I hope she's not touched by what's happening now--"Desmond, do you think you're doing the right thing by acting as Quentin's attorney?"  Mother! chastises Desmond.  I'm thinking of you, his mother says, I certainly hope and pray Quentin will be found innocent, but I'm concerned about the village--Leticia chased here today--people are acting the way they did over 100 years ago--if Quentin is found guilty, what's to stop him from saying you're a warlock, too?  Desmond leans forward and says passionately that that's the reason she must never mention the head he brought back from Asia--legend has it that the head has magical powers!  I loathed it the moment I saw it! she reminds him.  And you were right to, says Desmond--but if they find out I have it or did have it, I could be linked to witchcraft.  Don't you see the risk you're taking, defending Quentin? she asks.  Mother! says Desmond warningly.  Don't dismiss me, she says, I may not have been the usual mother, but I love you very much, and I can't have anything happen to you.  He vows nothing will, but begs her to stay out of it--and forget she ever saw the head--and he'll be quite all right.  But--will you? his mother asked pointedly.

Carrie walks home through the woods, pretty in black.  She hears a sound and demands to know who is there.  She finds herself face to face with a handsome young man.  I asked you who are you? she demands.  Don't be frightened, Carrie, he says (looks a lot like Leonard Whiting, the hunk who played Romeo on the big screen in the 70's).  How do you know my name? she asks.  Carrie Stokes, he recites proudly, born, let's see, 1824. 25, she corrects.
Father, Amos Stokes, he says, mother, Martha Bradbury--my father almost married her, too, once.  How do you know all about me? asks Carrie shrilly--who ARE you?  Jeremy Grimes, at your service, he says, bowing.  Mordecai Grimes is your father! Carrie accuses him.  Yes, Jeremy agrees, but don't hold it against me.  I do, she says, the things he says--Quentin Collins is not a warlock.  Father is a fool, says Jeremy--he still believes in witches--has a 17th century mind--and don't think I'm proud of it!  If you only knew the grief he and people are causing at Collinwood, says Carrie.  What do you want me to do, educate him? demands Jeremy.  If you don't agree with him, you should fight him, insists Carrie. I was passing through the woods today, he admits.  So it was you! she says.  Yes, on my way back to the farm, he says--and I saw you all standing there, and remembered how my father had railed about letting Daniel Collins be buried in Christian soil--and I thought, how can people be so wrong about each other.  Maybe that happens when you get older, she says, her face softening.  Maybe, he says, only we give up, too, don't we--we don't always live the life we want to.  But if you feel this way, then why do you live with your father? she asks.  You see, he says, smiling, you know me--you know what I was talking about--I thought you'd be that way.  You thought about me? she asks, smiling.  Ever since I saw you  in church, he says.  Oh, she says, well, I'll be late for supper--goodbye.  He stops her, asking her not to say that, not yet--I'm walking you home.  But someone may see us, she protests.  Someone who shouldn't? he asks--someone who will run to my father?--someone that will tell him?--well, I'll take that chance--he doesn't let me tell him how to run his life, so why should I let him tell me?--shall we go?  She nods, and they walk off together.

Flora sits alone in the drawing room at Rose Cottage.  Leticia enters and says she's seen that expression too often--you've let everything get you down--work is what you need.  Flora protests that if she starts to work, she'll have to think of vampires.  Start thinking, says Leticia, sitting beside her and setting down some newspapers.  "When you told me to read these old newspapers," says Leticia, "I thought you were bats, luv--" she laughs, remarking on her calling Flora bats and they're talking about vampires!--here, look at this--from the Collinsport Courier, dated April 11, 1797--"Strange attacks in area--Miss Purity Brownen has been attacked by an unknown, vicious animal--there were two bite marks on the neck."  Flora takes the paper and comments that it might mean there was a vampire in Collinsport then.  And they never die, so they, luv? asks Leticia.  Then whoever attacked Roxanne, says Flora, could have been living in 1797.  That give me chills just to think about it, says Leticia.  Flora rises and says they must go to Collinwood, get Gerard's permission, of course--they can look through family diaries of that period in the library--Daniel showed them to her once--bring them back here--perhaps they'll contain a clue--go at once, Leticia! she orders.  See, I was right, says Leticia triumphantly, all you needed was something to think about.  If there is a vampire in our midst, I have to know who it is, insists Flora.

I'm going to get a job evenings, Jeremy tells Carrie, and what money I get I'll save--to go back to school.  You have everything all planned, she says admiringly, I never plan anything.  He smiles at her and says she can start right now--plan on seeing him again--if you want to--they could meet, about this time, he's finished the chores then.  Turned away from him, she looks uncertain.  I guess you don't want to, he says--I understand.  I've never been asked to be courted before, she says.  You'll meet me? he asks.  She nods eagerly and they grin at each other.  I'm glad I'm the first, he says.  She enters Collinwood and Jeremy grins like an idiot.  Carrie leans back dreamily against the door and in a romantic voice, says, "Jeremy Grimes."

Rose Cottage - Barnabas, stunned to learn from Desmond that Quentin is to be tried for witchcraft, assures him he'll do anything he can to help--what's the most incriminating evidence against him?  Desmond says Trask saw Quentin leaving the funeral chapel with Lorna Bell--he has no alibi for the rest of the evening, and there's no doubt Lorna was killed by witchcraft.  Just as the jailer's wife was, says Barnabas.  He certainly had good reason to kill her, says Desmond, she was an open enemy--why did Quentin always have to dabble in the occult?
Barnabas points out that Gerard Stiles is a very clever man.  You and I think so, says Desmond, if only Quentin did--bring me proof, he asks, bring me proof Gerard is behind all this!  Barnabas says then they'll have to find that proof, won't we?

Carrie sits by the fire at Collinwood.  When Leticia comes in, she asks her if she's ever fallen in love.  Leticia laughs and tells her more times than she can count.  Carrie says she's spent so much time wondering what it's like, thinking about going into a room just because you know he'll walk into it.  I know who you're talking about, says Leticia sourly--Gerard Stiles.  Perhaps, says Carrie, but that isn't love, is it?  No, Ducks, says Leticia.  I just wanted him to notice me--it wasn't real, says Leticia.  You've grown up! exults Leticia, hugging her, right before my very eyes!  I guess love is partly being noticed, says Carrie, but it's also realizing you have to do something when you finally are.  You've met someone, says Leticia, and it don't take my second sight to tell me.  Read my palm, begs Carrie, tell me what you see--am I going to be happy?  Leticia looks at the girl's palm, and her happy mood turns dark.  Very happy, she lies.  No, says Carrie, you didn't mean that, you just said it--what did you see?  You can see all sorts of trouble in a hand, says Leticia, don't worry about it.  No, you saw me dead, didn't you? asks Carrie--and Tad was dead,, too--I looked in the crystal ball, and I saw both of us lying dead in the playroom--oh, Leticia, I don't want to die, not now!  Leticia hugs her.

Rose Cottage - Flora warns Barnabas she always speaks frankly, so he must not mind what she's going to say--but she was shocked he wasn't at Daniel's funeral.  I'm equally upset, says Barnabas (poor guy, don't you wish they'd hold night funerals to accommodate his affliction?), I thought I was going to be able to be there, but at the last moment, I simply couldn't.  There have been so many deaths recently, says Flora--I'm writing a book about poor, dear Roxanne, you know.  No, I didn't know, says Barnabas.  Not her, really, says Flora, but about vampires.  This stuns Barnabas.  Flora continues, someone can only be turned into a vampire by a vampire--therefore, it is my theory that there is a vampire in Collinsport--found out something fascinating today--there were similar attacks in Collinsport in 1797.  Leticia enters, bearing the journals, and Flora explains to Barnabas that she sent Leticia to Collinwood for the family diaries of that period--she thought they might contain a clue.  Upset, Barnabas gazes at the journals Leticia is carrying.  Why didn't I think of it before? asks Flora, there is a way we can find out who the vampire is--a seance--we can contact Roxanne's spirit--Leticia is a brilliant medium, Flora informs Barnabas, and asks Leticia if she'll help them.  I don't think we'll be able to find out that way! protests Barnabas, his voice trembling--the chances of contacting Roxanne are...  "Very good," interrupts Flora, "I feel it."  She begs Leticia to say she will.  If you really want to, luv, agrees Leticia.  Oh, I do! says Flora, then tells Barnabas that if the idea offends him, he doesn't have to stay.  He says he will stay, thank you.  Flora asks Barnabas to turn down the light--candlelight is best.  He goes to do so, then joins the two women at the table.  Leticia instructs them to touch fingers.  This magic circle, she says, must not be broken--"We seek the spirit who can tell us of the mystery that surrounds our village--we seek a spirit that can tell us who made her as she was when she died--Roxanne Drew, come from the shades where you now dwell--if you can hear the sound of my choice, come to us!  Can you hear me, Roxanne?"  Wind blows opens the doors.  I come! says Roxanne's voice, and she appears to them, still looking like a vampire.  Roxanne! cries Barnabas.  I have no rest! complains Roxanne.  If you will, says Leticia, tell us who was responsible--who turned you into a creature that walked by night?--who made you become a vampire?--will you tell us--will you?"  Yes, says Roxanne hatefully.
Who, speak the name so that others may be spared! cries Leticia.  Yes, agrees Roxanne firmly, spitefully, yes!  Barnabas is terrified.

NOTES:  Poor Barnabas, will he now be exposed as a vampire?  If so, what will the women do to him?

Cute scenes between Carrie, now in love, and Jeremy.  Don't get too excited about it, though.  I won't say more.

You have to love the way Flora protects her son.  What mother wouldn't worry when an angry mob is following her family?  Is she right?  Is Desmond wrong to defend Quentin?

Roxanne doesn't look happy at all, does she, but a pretty sultry-looking ghost, anyway?

1164  - Flora, Barnabas and Leticia await Roxanne's reply as to who made her a vampire: Angelique!  Angelique! cries Flora.  Barnabas leaves the table, breaking the circle, to turn on a lamp.  Leticia's head falls forward.  Flora tells Leticia, Roxanne did appear--it was perfect.  Barnabas listens nervously as Flora tells her that Roxanne blamed Angelique for her being a vampire.  Leticia asks who that is.  Flora says she doesn't know, but she can tell Barnabas recognized the name.  Barnabas tells them the one he knows is not the Angelique Roxanne referred to--but the Angelique I knew was my mother--some people thought her a most unusual woman (to say the least!), and I suppose, in a way, she was--she was free, her spirit was free--when my father went to England, she stayed behind, then joined him later, but missed her home and friends here, but traveled back and forth very often--yes, I suppose she was a most unusual woman--I loved her very much--if you'll excuse me--and he hurriedly leaves.  Flora tells Leticia she doesn't believe him, he fought the seance in the first place, and when they were near the truth, he broke the circle--why?--she can't help remembering what Gerard has said about him--he doesn't trust Barnabas--and after what just occurred in this room, I'm not willing to accept this explanation--if there is another, I will find it.
Barnabas has listened to what Flora said on the opposite side of the door, and he is not a happy camper.

Collinwood - Valerie is alone in the drawing room but is joined by Barnabas.  She says his name happily, but he immediately launches into an attack: "I knew there would be trouble when you came here," he says, "it was just a matter of time--Angelique, Roxanne has identified you!"  She laughs and reminds him Roxanne is dead.  But you of all people know of spirits, he reminds her.  What's happened? she asks.  Flora has written a book on vampirism, explains Barnabas, and she had Leticia conduct a seance--Roxanne's spirit went into her body and named Angelique as the one who made her a vampire!  Let her name Angelique, scoffs Valerie, who knows Angelique?  Angelique is the name recorded as that of the wife of Barnabas Collins, he says, the date of the marriage is 1797 (wrong--1796).  And how can that be connected to me? she asks.  Flora doesn't believe there are two Angeliques, he says, and is determined to find out more about it.  That troubles me not at all, Valerie assures him, knowing Flora--but why have you come to warn me--could it be love at last?--or is it the fact that you know if I'm discovered, you will be as well?--or does it even go beyond survival--what do you want, really?  I want you to be careful, he says.  And?...AND? she demands.  Quentin's trial for witchcraft is tomorrow, he says reluctantly, the case against him is very strong--the townsfolk already believe he is guilty--you could use your powers to find out more about this--you could save him!
I will never save Quentin! she cries sharply--he is guilty--and the sooner he is dead, the better for all of us!

Quentin is a warlock, declares Valerie with vehemence--he is guilty!  Barnabas pulls her around to face him.  "I don't know what is happening inside you," he says, "but it is evil--and I am determined to find out what it is--even if I have to go to the gates of hell!"  She pulls herself from his grasp and says, "You may have to do just that, Barnabas!"

Rose Cottage - Flora sits in the drawing room.  She's pleased when Gerard comes in.  He's come to ask a favor, he says, and she says she has one to ask of him, too--he can go first.  Gerard says he'd like her to spend more time at Collinwood--it's such a big house and is crying out for a woman like herself.  Gerard, how sweet! She coos, grinning.  And as you know, he says, I do need friends very badly--Gabriel and Samantha are not very friendly to say the least.  You poor boy, she sympathizes, it does seem so unfair.  Yes, he agrees, so, what shall we call you--the official hostess of Collinwood.  I'm honored, she says.  Wonderful, truly wonderful, he says, squeezing her shoulder--and now, what's her favor?  Desmond asked me to look for something, she says, and I thought you might have taken it with you when you moved--by mistake, of course--but by any chance, have you seen the journal of Judah Zachary.  I'm afraid I haven't, he says.  That's strange, where could it be? she wonders.  Leticia enters and asks if she's interrupting.  Not at all, says Flora, wandering from the room, I do want to find that journal.  Leticia looks at Gerard almost fearfully.  Is something wrong? he asks.  I hope not, she says, you know better than I.  Know what? he asks.  A lot of changes have occurred here recently, she reminds him--have you had anything to do with them?  What changes? He asks.  You're the master of Collinwood now, she reminds him, that's rather a big change--and it happened suddenly, didn't it?  I was just as surprised as everyone else, he assures her.  And look what led up to it, she says--vampires, murders, peculiar attacks on people like Desmond, for example.  Come, Leticia, he scolds her, you're acting like a common villager--and I thought you were beyond that.  Of course I'm beyond it, she says, shaking her head at him, speaking through gritted teeth--you and I both know it--the people in the village don't know it--they chased me all the way home here--when I went into the apothecary shop, they called me a witch, just like they're doing to him.  Quentin? asks Gerard--and you think he is one?  Of course, not, says Leticia, you and I both know it's not Quentin--Gerard--is it you?  He smiles and calls her a dreamer--and they know each other so well.
What do you want? She asks, what do you really want?  You, he says.  I'm serious, she says.  So am I, he says, come here, Leticia.  She grins a bit, then goes to him.  He touches her face.  You always had a way of changing the subject when you didn't want to go on with it, she says.  That's true, he agrees, caressing her face, but a subject we know and like a lot more.  I can't deny that, she says, taking his hand from her face, but it's not the time for it.  Some other time? he asks.  Maybe, she says, but I doubt it.  You don't mind if I keep hoping, do you? he asks.  (I can see an attractive guy like Gerard getting the ladies, but Judah isn't exactly Mr. GQ--was it the power, the spells or what?--couldn't have been that body or that balding head.)  It's up to you, says Leticia.  Good night, he says, and leaves.  Good night, she says.  She sits down at a table, covering her face with her hands in despair.  I can't find that silly journal anywhere, complains Flora--don't you think it's strange that book like that could just disappear?  She notices how distracted Leticia is and asks if anything is wrong.  Leticia says yes--something's wrong--he's very different--Gerard--and it frightens me.

Gerard comes downstairs at Collinwood and finds Daphne sitting by the fire.  I didn't realize anyone was here, he apologizes.  She rises and says she was just leaving.  Please, Daphne! he says, believe me that I don't want to be here like this in Quentin's place!--There's only one thing I want and that is for Quentin to come back here where he belongs!  Daphne says dear God, how she wants that, too.  He holds her shoulders, and she pulls away, telling him she's frightened of the trial--I'm afraid of what those people may do to him--you and I know he's innocent, but can they be made to know it?  We will make them, he assures her, his hand on her face--believe me, I will make them.  She takes his hand off her cheek and says, "You're trying to take me away from him, why, I don't know--but it can't be done!"  Have you forgotten abut Samantha? He asks--are you taking their marriage so lightly?  Not at all, Daphne says, there is no real marriage--Quentin doesn't love Samantha, he loves me--and I love him--so please, Gerard, leave me alone!  She exits the room.  He smiles and withdraws his witch symbol from his pocket.  Sleep, he bids her, and in your dreams you will see how quickly hate is turned to love.

In her room, Daphne sits on her bed, covers her face with her hands, falls to the bed and drifts off to sleep, fully-clothed.  Sleep, says Gerard's voice, and you will find out where we're going, but you will not remember, you will only remember when it becomes a reality--now sleep and soon you will be mine!  Daphne dreams of Gerard placing a ring on her left hand, saying, "With this ring, I thee wed."  We see a bust of a woman, and billowing curtains surrounding a fancy bed.
Daphne and Gerard lie on the bed, kissing passionately.  Gerard, I love you so much! she says.  Happy? he asks.  Happy? she repeats, I never dreamed I could feel this way about anyone.  I'll never let you go, he says.  No, she says, don't ever leave me--and they commence to kiss some more.  Or you, me, he says.  I couldn't, she assures him--even if I wanted to, I couldn't.  They kiss.  Never, never, she says between kisses, never...  Gerard! calls Daphne, waking up.  Did I just call...?--no, I couldn't have, she tells herself--but I did--God, what's happening to me--help me somebody, please!  And a lone tear slides down her cheek.

Gerard puts away his witch symbol before Valerie enters the drawing room.  I came to ask if I might borrow a book of yours--she says--a journal, written by a man named Judah something or other...  Ah, he says, Judah Zachary!  Yes, that's it, she says, it sounded so fascinating, I thought I'd like to read it--could I borrow it?  I'm afraid I don't have it, he says, it does belong to Desmond, who seems to have misplaced it, for a while, at least.  What a pity, she says, as long as I'm here, I probably shouldn't mention it, but you are so close to Quentin, and I am so deeply concerned about him.  As we all are, he agrees.  Valerie asks when they were together on the voyage, what was he like--was he engaged in voodoo and witchcraft then?  Not engaged in it, says Gerard, he was interested in it, as I was--that's all.  (Notice he has all Gerard's memories as well as those of Judah, so I guess Gerard hasn't been completely submerged, has he?)  The ring, she asks, was he attracted to that ring then, the one that has the devil's mark?  Most assuredly, replies Gerard, but not for the powers--tell me, why are you asking all these questions?  Because Quentin has changed, she says, he's changed the way none of us can see--I don't know why I'm so certain, but I do know it's true.  Daphne enters and apologizes for interrupting.  I had to go back to the Old House, anyway, says Valerie, it's all right.  She leaves.  How delightful to see you, Gerard tells Daphne, I was just about to stop by and see you--I was on my way down to the jail, I thought you might like to come see Quentin.  I can't, she says, because Tad's gone to bed, and that would mean leaving him alone.  Thunder rolls.  Gerard says it's amazing how empty this house has become now that he's moved in here.  I don't think it has anything to do with you, she assures him.  Of course it does, he says, don't you think I understand why people feel the way they do?--oh, Daphne, you must help me--make them believe it wasn't what I wanted, it was only because of Quentin I took this position--please help them stop hating me!  She curls a hand around his shoulder and tells him they don't hate him--they're very troubled people, they don't hate you at...  She suddenly realizes she was touching his shoulder and he was enjoying it, and snatches her hand away.  You really meant that, didn't you? he asks, you really did--you wanted to comfort me--oh, Daphne, thank you so much--in spite of what you say and how you feel, I do need you--very, very badly.  She moves in close and is about to kiss him, but he moves his hand between them, blocking the kiss, and says she must excuse him--he has to go someplace--and he leaves.  Oh dear God, says Daphne aloud, what was I going to do?--I wanted him!--what is happening to me?  She turns and finds another letter from Joanna: "I am coming for you now, but please do not be afraid--what I must do I do with love--your sister, Joanna."  Daphne holds the letter in both hands and calls to Joanna--are you here?--please don't hurt me--help me!  The front doors blow open, scaring Daphne, who walks over to close them.  Thunder rolls.  Daphne finds her sister's cape on the floor-Joanna, why are you doing this? she cries, please, don't you understand, you can help me, please help me--let me have the love you had--if anything is going to destroy me, can't it be that love?
--why must it be you?--Joanna, please, can you hear me--please help me!  She hears a door opening upstairs and, terrorized, runs into the drawing room and closes the doors, covering her face with her hands.

NOTES:  Has Joanna come to hurt Daphne or to help her?  Is that her upstairs, or someone else?  Could it be further plot of Gerard's?  Why didn't he let Daphne kiss him--to keep her more off-kilter?  That's one fella with a real knack for keeping the ladies happy--even Leticia seemed tempted, and she's set her sights on Desmond.  Samantha, Daphne, Edith and Leticia have all succumbed to his charms, pre and post Judah.

Loved the scene between Barnabas and Valerie, especially when she asks, "Love at last?"  Ironic in so many ways.  I just enjoy these two together so much.  They really have electric presence that makes me pay more attention when they are together on-screen.

Pretty passionate kissing scene between Gerard and Daphne in her dream.  Rarely do couples lie on beds together on DS, and the only two that come to mind are Jeb and Carolyn and this scene with the newly married Daphne and Gerard.  Daring, DS!

I thought Joshua expunged the record books so Angelique was never mentioned as Barnabas' wife--or mentioned at all.  How odd to hear Barnabas refer to her as his mother, and to tell Valerie she's Barnabas' wife of record in 1797.  Oh, those mis-cued dates, drives us purists crazy!

Barnabas' explanation of Angelique sounded like bullpoop, and it's no wonder Flora didn't believe him.  How many women named Angelique could there possibly be?

Love, Robin