Author Topic: Perhaps we've judged Julia too harshly  (Read 845 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Perhaps we've judged Julia too harshly
« on: November 09, 2003, 09:01:24 AM »
There have been times we've "joked" about Julia's propensity to pronounce people dead who later turn out not to be.  I do get upset over the Elizabeth one.  Aside from her frequently pronounced prediction that she would be thought to be dead when she wasn't (I can see Julia not believing that), there was the previous incident when Julia pronounced her dead and very shortly afterwards she revived.  That should have alerted her that something was going on and  that she really could appear to be dead when she wasn't.  I could never understand that she didn't do more tests or delay the burial a bit to make sure.

What brought all of this up now was a story in the news today about a 20 month old girl found in the backyard swimming pool.  They tried to revive her and took her to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.  Later, a policeman noticed movement, and sure enough - she survived.  But, I found it interesting that today, at a hospital, it's possible to actually think someone is dead who isn't (a rather frightening thought!!!).  So, evidently Julia wasn't so bad after all.
Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:Perhaps we've judged Julia too harshly
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 05:16:28 PM »
good points Josette but that toddler is in critical condition
and they haven't said whether she(?) has woken up yet or ever will. Most times when something happens like this you may get a pulse back but little else. so sad.Julia's patients of course as a lot of tv/movies cases wake uo and nothing is wrong.in some case of hypothermia a person can lose a pulse and come back when thawed but it is rare.saw it once but the person still died in the end.

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 09:40:20 AM »
Interesting comments, Jennifer.  The other day I heard that she recognized her parents, they've apparently found no brain damage, and I think I saw today that she's improving!  Amazing!!  I certainly hope she comes through it all right.
Josette

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 03:57:36 AM »
It would be a wonderful miracle.  In the last couple of years I have had to come to reality on things like that.  My nephew who was so badly hurt is still in a coma, now in a nursing home.  We had such high hopes that he would somehow come out of it, but now of course those are dashed.  My heart and prayers are with the toddlers parents.  We know first hand how heart wrenching life can be.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth