Author Topic: The New DARK SHADOWS?  (Read 10964 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re:The New DARK SHADOWS?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2003, 02:27:24 AM »
Having thought about it for a couple of days, I agree that the early days of the show might be the best upon which to base a new version...  There is a strength of characterisation and history for the characters that very little of the show's later years can compete with.

I increasingly think a new series should turn the whole thing on its head...  take a handful of the best original characters (Barnabas needn't be amongst them), throw in a few new ones, and take the whole thing back to basics.  It needs a sense of dread and remoteness -- Collinwood is a distant threat, casting long shadows over the lives of everyone who lives in Collinsport.  Have a community all bound by their secrets and betrayals, with the supernatural lurking around the corner, barely seen but ever-present.

Maybe the other approach is to look at stuff the original series never did and ask why...  Why are there no children, for instance.  I'd like the idea of something strange, like there have been no children born in Collinsport since Carloyn Stoddard, with a deep, dark threat bubbling to the surface when someone falls pregant.  or something.  Something that's always been there, but we've never realised before.

Basically, anything but governesses on trains, graverobbing caretakers unleashing cousins from England... it's been done.  As Mark pointed out, DS has a much broader range of stories to offer than a sympathetic vampire yearning for love.  And a new version that really explores those possibilities could be great fun for everyone.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2003, 05:43:12 AM »
 ::) I do agree there are more interesting stories to tell, but the new DS will (IF IT HAPPENS) certainly focus on the Barnabas character.

:'( The correct way to revive the show would be to do it like "The Next Generation," but I doubt Mr. Curtis would go for that.

;) I don't think it weakens your thesis about Collinsport, but there were children born there.  Sometimes, doctors mentioned babies being born, though I can't recall a specific example.  Obviously, David was born after Carolyn; so I assume you are thinking he was born elsewhere.  He did spend most of 1957-1966 in Arizona.

:D You (wisely) don't mention baby "Joseph-Alexander-Michael."  Of course, he wasn't a real kid -- but, he aged like kids on other serials.  Amy and Hallie probably spend their early childhood outside Collinsport, I suppose, before they were orphaned.

::) It does seem locical that, newly wedded, Carolyn & Vicki might have seen the stork among the ghosts at Collinwood... or, maybe they thought better of it.

:-[ I'd like the new show, if it happens, to go in the direction Mark & Stuart suggest... BUT, I wouldn't hold my breath on that!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2003, 06:44:51 AM »
and ??????? as Victoria Winters
(please, NOT Paris Hilton...)

Only if she dies in the opening scene... I really loath her

LdyAnne <who avoids Hilton hotels>

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2003, 07:22:19 AM »
i have to add that i feel it has to move on with Barnabas and the next generation. i hated the 1991 version because it was the same.

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2003, 07:24:21 AM »
and ??????? as Victoria Winters
(please, NOT Paris Hilton...)

Only if she dies in the opening scene... I really loath her

LdyAnne <who avoids Hilton hotels>

i agree double ICKY!!!![puke]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2003, 02:52:05 AM »
Okay...we agree it shouldn't be a straight 'redo'.

DEFINITELY, they should take it s l o w l y.

I think the orig. pacing of the show (pre-1968) was one of the better parts of DS.

You had 'regular' issues/problems, plus, if you watched closely, perhaps there was something ethereal (but you weren't POSITIVE, because it wasn't in your face).

Deep, dark secrets....think Laura Murdoch, Stockbridge, Collins et al. Was it one, or many?

Also, as far as the 'regular' issues; there was possible blackmail (actually, there was definite AND ALSO possible black mail read Roger, Laura, Burke and Sam).

So, what 'extra' type stuff DIDN'T the 'spooky' side of DS deal with?

Mummies....witch stoning (don't laugh, as a youth, this scared & interested me).

How about a whole 'Gaslight' type approach...?

They did Leviathan, but, with cults you could spin it from a few different angles, without getting too preachy.

IMHO....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2003, 03:44:43 AM »
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments and sense that overwhelmingly, we would all like a Dark Shadows that moves away (but not completely)from the original. I also have an idea for a storyline. Two of the main characters would be similar to the mother and daughter in the movie 'Chocolate'. She being an open minded business woman raising a young daughter in a staunchly conservative town whom although she desires the strictness of a sterner society for her daughter's sake, can't abandon her own liberal leanings.  Also, the fishing industry all but died in Collinsport 20 years earlier. A modern, rich entrepeneur who totally rejects the old ways has just arrived and shakes things up with an upstart new industry directly threatening the remaining fishing business. The dark side is that the rich entrepeneur is non-other than David Collins who had totally rejected his inheritance years back but returns to Collinsport a wealthy man in his own right. He will not do business the way the Collinses have been doing it for years. David, highly educated, motivated but also unethical and who appears willing to stop at nothing to return Collinwood to it's former prestige as the main player in Collinsport.  He imports workers for his plant from the Carribean.  They in turn end up driving the town crazy with their practice of the black arts. These black arts rush headlong towards a collison course with the supernatural manifestation that hangs over Collinswood and the Collins family members who transplanted there from Boston after the death of Elizabeth and Roger. We will meet a new group of Collinses who have only succeeded in driving away business from Collinsport but non-the-less feel threatened by their cousin David who just might end up being their salvation. ;D
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2003, 03:51:38 AM »
Well, as long as we're borrowing from the movie "Chocolate", can we please have Johnny Depp as the Gypsy Lover?  :D  And did you mean to leave out the fact that the "mother" practices magic?  [winkb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline picard

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2003, 06:23:42 PM »
hello everyone, i am new here so the end with the greetings. there is a new dark shadows pilot beng produced for the WB network. I cannot help but be concerned for the fact that it is going to be on that network which is known for the kind of meaningless sex,humor and endless casting of all teenage cast for its shows. I have set up some personal requirements for me to watch the show beyond 1 to 3 episodes.
1.It must have the same storylines.
2.same music.
3.same settings.
4.same characters.
in other words it better not differ from the original more than the acceptable changes...
1.different cast playing the familiar characters, not all teenage cast mind you. there is no place for a teenage cast in dark shadows, nor is there a place for a 20 year old elizabeth collins stoddard. nor a 16-2o year old barnabas. the new person playig him must have the appearance of at least a 32 year old man.
this is the things it must not have...
1.no different music.
2.no different storylines.
3.no different characters.
4.no different settings.
5.no all teenage cast.
6.no sex, except the occassional kissing.
7.no humor, unless they decide to let a boom microphone or camera shot in to the scene.
other acceptable changes are maybe different sets for collinwood, the old house, collinsport, e.t.c. and better special effects.
but it must not focus on special effects. it must focus on character, story and atmosphere. these changes may seem to be a little hawkish but thats exactly how i intend to watch and judge this new version... like a hawk.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2003, 06:53:39 PM »
 ;D Thank goodness you didn't rule out animation!

...coming soon!!
...to the WB!!!

[burn] "DARK SHADOWS (The Animated Series)" [burn]

Offline picard

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2003, 07:46:28 PM »
only in a dream would dark shadows be in animation.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2003, 08:56:52 PM »
only in a dream would dark shadows be in animation.

About six or seven years ago there was talk of trying to do an animated version of DS. I can't say I was too disappointed when it didn't pan out because for some reason I pictured it being like DS meets Scooby-Doo - except that perhaps at the end of the episode the "monster" would be real and not Old Mr. Gottfried dressed as the mummy.  ;)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2003, 11:31:44 PM »
 ;D That's right!  You got it!

8) But, it would be a "dark," "adult" cartoon -- kinda like the new "Batman" one.

:o Certainly, no sillier than:

[hello] "Dark Shadows (The Musical!)"

[angl2] You know, where Barnabas jumps out of the coffin and sings, "Some Enchanted Evening, you will meet a stranger..."

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2003, 04:04:19 PM »
You know, where Barnabas jumps out of the coffin and sings, "Some Enchanted Evening, you will meet a stranger..."

<Whap!>

;)

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2003, 01:36:29 AM »
Well, as long as we're borrowing from the movie "Chocolate", can we please have Johnny Depp as the Gypsy Lover?  :D  And did you mean to leave out the fact that the "mother" practices magic?  [winkb]

We must have Johnny Depp as Barnabas and not some vagabond gypsy rover (although he'd be so adorable as one  :-*) I can see the mother occasionally resorting to making magic but inevitably ending up hating her own abilities. For her, it's all about fitting into the right group in the town for her daughter's sake.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf