Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0663  (Read 1040 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0663
« on: March 20, 2014, 04:10:11 AM »
Robservations #663

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0663

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
Nathan pleads for his life, telling Barnabas, My sins look rather pale beside yours. Barn changes history by biting Nathan instead of strangling him.

Later, Millicent visits Nathan in jail. He tries to get her to help him. But he's already driven her mad, so at least one crime has caught up with him.

Once again, Barn bites Crystal Cabot.

Why are you in jail? Millicent asks her husband suspiciously. You haven't been listening, Nathan says wearily. You haven't heard one word I've said. I have, she replies, but it makes no sense. Take my word and trust me, please, begs Nathan. I did that before, she says, and I'm sorry. Forget the past, he urges her. We'll make a new start. I'd like that, she says. Something must first be done about Barnabas, Nathan insists. That's the part I don't understand, Millicent says. I was so sure Barnabas was dead. He reminds her impatiently, You saw him taking me out of the house tonight, didn't you? Yes, she agrees. Then he can't be dead, right? Nathan asks. No, he can't, Millicent replies, but why did we all think he was? Because of what he's become, Nathan replies as he paces up and down tensely. I'm confused, Millicent says. I can't say why, Nathan explains, but Barnabas is trying to kill me, and you must help me. I will tell you how Barnabas can be destroyed, but you must promise to do something about it. I promise to try, says Millicent. Find a wooden stake and hammer, Nathan urges her, and go to the Tower Room during the day. He sleeps there in a coffin. You must take that stake and drive it through his heart. Millicent stares at him, horrified. After a moment, she says, I think I understand. I will try. Barnabas must be destroyed before it's too late! Nathan pleads. I find this place chilly, Millicent replies. I'll return to Collinwood now, but I’ll come to see you tomorrow. She walks out calmly, already oblivious of all the terrible things Nathan has just told her. He stares after her, shaking his head in despair. [Both Joel Crothers and Nancy Barrett are fabulous in these scenes, but this whole conversation makes no sense: Naomi killed herself after seeing Barnabas bite Millicent, so Millicent can’t betray him, let alone destroy him. And the freshly bitten Nathan shouldn’t be able to blab about Barnabas either!]

Ben is waiting on the landing when Barnabas returns and hurries downstairs to meet him. I was afraid something happened to you this time, Ben says. Guilty and ashamed before Ben, Barnabas mutters, I didn't think what it would be like being this way again. Again? repeats the puzzled Ben. I had forgotten how powerful the urge for blood would be, and how hard it would be to resist it, Barnabas explains. Are you feelin’ all right? Ben asks worriedly. No, Barnabas replies, not until I do what I came here to do. We only have an hour, Ben points out. How will we do it? By force, Barnabas replies grimly. We’ll help her escape from jail. It’s too well guarded! Ben argues. I need time to think, Barnabas says--just a few moments. There isn’t time to think! Ben protests. Barnabas goes to Joshua’s study, followed by the worried Ben.

Barnabas enters the study and stares out the window for a moment. Deep in thought and heartsick for Vicki, he sits at his father’s desk and chews on his knuckles. Suddenly he senses that he is not alone. He turns to find the very late Crystal Cabot sitting in a chair, her soaking wet hair straggling across her dead face.…..

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
Could Barnabas' present time self taking his 1796 body released Millicent from his spell?  That's why she seems back to her old self.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
Good idea, joeytrom!

You're right DL, I forgot Millicent was also a vamp victim at this point.  Nice scene, but something good could have been written with them both fumbling within their minds, trying to understand between them what Barnabas was doing to them both.

Couldn't Barnabas pop into the cell, pick up Vicki, and pop back out with her?  Vamps seem to do this with inanimate objects, like coffins.

The crossbow scene is redone.  Nathan decides in his panic that he actually has leverage after all, and promptly exhibits his new smugness and put-on nonchalance by adjusting himself in the nearest mirror!  That was a nice touch.  But does he have leverage over Barnabas?  It was clever to insist Barnabas sign a confession too.  I didn't see that coming.  Can't Barnabas still just insist on his own terms anyway, though?  Wouldn't Forbes still have to go along?  Point moot when vamp bite occurs...

Nice scene with the doxie.  Mr. Frid is totally invested whenever they go back to the past.  So many of these scenes are all him, and close-ups of his shifting moods, with little or no dialogue. 

You have to feel a little for Nathan, trying to get Millicent to understand.  Why does he have willpower now, though?  Deceased doxie in chair in study... end.  Good out-of-left-field cliffhanger.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »
Not a fan of the Millicent rewrite.  Would it not make more sense and fun storyline wise to make Vickie and Peter vampires so they could transcend time and return if needed?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
The first batch of screen caps and/or set ups have been posted for this ep on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1796_3" and "Caption This! - 1796_3" boards.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Back when this topic was active this time around I kept forgetting to post that I really never had any problems with Millicent's or Nathan's behavior. It may go against the rules in other vampire stories but not in DS because precedent for it had already been set. As I posted during the first WP for this ep:

yet here we have Forbes betraying Barnabas by asking Millicent to help him escape.

Maggie did basically the same with Willie when Barnabas held her captive.  And Barnabas with Vicki after he'd escaped from the shack where Angelique had left him.

Maggie even went so far as to try to stake Barnabas herself.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:43 AM »
I would wager that no other daytime TV show in 1969 featured a lady-of-the-evening as a character (though there were plenty of "saloon girls" in prime time westerns). And, speaking of prostitutes, doesn't this one violate the first order of the profession which is to never let on to a pillar-of-the-community-type john that you know who is and - worse yet - tell him you're going to run home and reveal his identity to your fellow streetwalkers?  She seems to have flunked Prostitution 101. And she pays dearly for it.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:18 AM »
Movies in the early 1930's used to call them nightclub hostesses.
Fade Away and Radiate