Author Topic: That Number Should Be Retired  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
That Number Should Be Retired
« on: November 03, 2003, 07:26:30 PM »
One of the reasons why Dark Shadows needs to be run in perpetuity is because you always notice something "new" each time.  This time, I discovered that they are using the musical number designed for Maggie - I'll call it "Maggie's Theme" - for Daphne.  That little soundtrack diddly almost always played whenever a scene involved TLATKLS as the central character, whether it opened with a view of the Evans Cottage, or Maggie descending the stairs at Collinwood, et. al.

Of course, me viewing anything dealing with TLATKLS as sacrosanct, that theme should've been reserved for her alone, and once she departed the show, that should've been the last heard of its musical strains.  As much as I like Daphne, "Maggie's Theme" shouldn't've been turned into a generic "Governess' Theme".  Robert C. should've composed something just for her.

But then it makes me wonder if Dan Curtis, if the series was intended to continue, had plans to have Daphne (in some plot set back in 1971 onward) basically take Maggie's place.  She would be the new ingenue, the way Maggie kinda replaced Vicki.  Maybe that was the reason for transfering Maggie's Theme over onto to Daphne, to prepare the audience for the transition.

Still, as one of those who will forever be in love with Maggie, I would've prefered had they allowed Maggie to take her music with her.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:That Number Should Be Retired
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 07:52:42 PM »
But then it makes me wonder if Dan Curtis, if the series was intended to continue, had plans to have Daphne (in some plot set back in 1971 onward) basically take Maggie's place.  She would be the new ingenue, the way Maggie kinda replaced Vicki.  Maybe that was the reason for transfering Maggie's Theme over onto to Daphne, to prepare the audience for the transition.

I think that's exactly what would have happened. DC had this thing for heroines with long dark hair, and what did they do once Daphne began to speak? They stuck a long dark fall on her head and groomed her as the show's heroine.

Had DS continued after 1841PT, I'm absolutely postive a new character along the lines of Vicki/Maggie would have been created for Kate Jackson. (Though one would have hoped that she wouldn't have been a new governess - David and Hallie desperately needed to get out of Collinwood and into a high school to meet some people their own age.  [b003]  But I suppose that if David Henesy had agreed to return, KJ most probably would have been the new governess.  ::))

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 08:28:16 PM »
But I suppose that if David Henesy had agreed to return, KJ most probably would have been the new governess.  ::))

Please....if they'd made Kate Jackson the governess to a boy as old as the character of David, it would have qualified as the kinkiest relationship they ever portrayed on that show....and that's saying something.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 08:55:30 PM »
I remember having seen a mention somewhere or other that a present-day 1971 story had been plotted (presumably at some point in the Fall of 1970 before the EP decided to pull the plug) in which Jackson was going to play a character named Tracy who arrived at Collinwood and attracted Quentin's attention.  Can't recall whether she was supposed to be the new governess, though.

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 10:34:38 PM »
I MODIFIED THIS POST AS FOLLOWS IMMEDIATELY AFTER POSTING IT.  FOR SOME REASON THE CHANGES DID NOT TAKE, BUT I DIDN'T DISCOVER THIS UNTIL ABOUT 10 HOURS LATER.

AT LEAST, AS FAR AS I REMEMBER, THIS IS WHAT I MEANT TO APPEAR:

I remember having seen a mention somewhere or other that a present-day 1971 story had been plotted (presumably at some point in the Fall of 1970 before the EP decided to pull the plug) in which Jackson was going to play a character named Tracy who arrived at Collinwood and attracted Quentin's attention.  Can't recall whether she was supposed to be the new governess, though.

I've never heard that, but would like to know more if anyone has a source for this (one of the Pomegranate Press books?, etc).
Tracy was Kate Jackson's character in "Night of DS," of course, where she was married to Quentin -- so a somewhat parallel situation on the series would make sense.

As an aside, it's surprising how good Kate Jackson was in "NODS," compared with her acting on the daily series.  The luxury of short takes and redoing scenes, as opposed to "live" television?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 04:31:07 AM »
Hey there!

I recall hearing something about Kate Jackson playing that character also.Tracy Collins I believe. But maybe I got this idea from NODS also.

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 08:12:53 AM »
Please note my revised post above.  My original tone may have been sharper than I intended, which I noticed as soon as I posted it and thought I had changed.

For whatever reason, the changes didn't take.

:(

Not having any sleep for three weeks* might have led to an error on my part.

*OK, so that's an exaggeration.  I got some sleep on the weekends.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 02:32:02 PM »
It also kinda dawned on me how much more Kate Jackson resembles Alexandra Moltke in appearance and deliverance of character than - gulp - Betsy Dirkin.  I just wonder, if they had discovered her two years earlier to replace Moltke, would the Darrenish transition been more acceptable to the audience, and thus saved Vicki's character?

Gerard

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 04:37:52 PM »
I agree that Daphne should have had her own theme music.  While there's nothing wrong with the idea of the ingenue character, different theme songs would at least help differentiate between the girls.

And I agree, it would have been interesting to see Kate take on the Vicki role.  She certainly would have been more acceptable than Durkin.

But then again, didn't Vicki have some friend from the foundling home/orphanage with whom she kept in contact initially?  Maybe "Tracy" could have been that friend, coming to Collinwood to investigate why Vicki hadn't been sending any letters back to NYC for the past couple years.   ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 05:20:47 PM »
But then again, didn't Vicki have some friend from the foundling home/orphanage with whom she kept in contact initially?  Maybe "Tracy" could have been that friend, coming to Collinwood to investigate why Vicki hadn't been sending any letters back to NYC for the past couple years.   ::)

Ah, Sandy, one of my fave cameo roles on the show, and one of my favorite quotes as well: "So you've got a yen for fishing villages, then go out to Long Island and have a ball!"

She's not Tracy, I know, but maybe Tracy had the room next to their's. ;)

BTW, great plot idea, Cassandra Blair! I love reading ideas about the way we think things would, should, and could have been.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 05:53:50 PM »
Hi Mark, I saw your original post, and didn't think there was any problem with the tone, if you meant the comment you had made about wanting independent confirmation apart from my often-faulty memory.  Anyhow, I see that one of the mods pulled the original post, so at least you won't need to worry about it next time you're here.  Sorry to hear you haven't been getting your sleep.  Hope you can get some rest!

One site years ago where I saw something about Kate Jackson playing a Tracy character in the 1971 storyline was this great site that Michael Miozza put up that was going to be a continuation of DS as it might have been had the series gone on.  He was only able to write 7 installments, I believe, and I don't know whether the site still exists; I think there used to be a link to it from his DS Movies site, which I loved as well.

There's oodles of not-very-well-organized trivia about DS in the revised edition of the DS Almanac--perhaps there is something about proposals for Kate Jackson's future on the series in there.  It would be interesting to know what plans were made for future roles for Keith Prentice, as well--he mentioned having signed a "five year contract" for DS in an interview (something that made me raise my eyebrows).

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - modifications
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 06:04:37 PM »
OT

I see that one of the mods pulled the original post,

Actually, no posts were removed in this topic, and any editing of content was done by the author.

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2004, 12:17:25 AM »
Re: Maggie Evans, the 1970 (1971?) timeline after Barnabas and Julia's return from 1840:

There would be no reason for Maggie Evans to be absent. The very things  (i.e., people) that were the cause of her being taken to Wyndcliffe in Episode 1108 ( the vampire attacks by Roxanne, the impending destruction of Collinwood), were destroyed in 1840  ( remember that vampire Roxanne was destroyed by sunlight  in 1840 when she was kept at bay from the coffin ) . The same timeline alterations that caused Collinwood to be intact   upon Barnabas and Julia's return to the 20th century would have caused  Maggie to be there as well instead of at Wyndcliffe.
Alex adores Maggie Evans