Author Topic: !! Forum Fonts !!  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
!! Forum Fonts !!
« on: October 31, 2003, 06:54:41 PM »
** As of this date: November 25, 2003 **
** These fonts are no longer in use on the forum **
** and are no longer available for download **

The attachment to this post contains the two fonts needed to enjoy the forum the way it's intended to be seen.

Please download forumfonts.zip to your hard drive (your temp directory would probably be the best place to store it). Once the download completes, open the ZIP to unzip headinjuries.zip and hypewriter.zip. From there unzip the True Type Font (.ttf) file in each. Then all you need do is install the fonts using the Font feature in Window's Control Panel. (Bring up Control Panel, double-click on the Font icon, bring down the File menu, click on "Install New Font", navigate to your temp directory, highlight the .ttf files, click OK, and voila!)

If you can't install true type fonts on your computer and your browser's default font appears too small, simply increase your browser's text size. Instructions for how to do so have been posted a few times here on this board, so I'm sure everyone knows where to find them.  [wink2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:!! Forum Fonts !!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 08:53:22 PM »
Egads.  Is this permanent, or just a sWitcholeen treat?

(I know it's a mistake to ask that question, but somehow... I just don't understand!!)

>:D >:D >:D

those are just for you, darling.  See how accommodating I can be???

:o  Gothick

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 01:16:50 AM »
Not the most legible of fonts, are they? But hey... it's all in good fun, roit? ;)

--Mark

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 10:09:36 AM »
Fortunately, I read everything before trying this!!  All right - it's fun for a bit - but it will certainly be a pain reading everything like this.  I suppose I could just delete the fonts again.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 02:57:49 PM »
Not the most legible of fonts, are they? But hey... it's all in good fun, roit? ;)

True.

But given some of the other fonts I might have chosen, hypewriter (which is used for eveything but the logo) is quite legible.

For example, here's an example of naked monk:

An example of horrendous (which is VERY aptly named):

And an example of zombified (which is even worse than horrendous :o):

So, next to them, hypewriter is actually quite nice:

[b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 03:06:22 PM »
All right - it's fun for a bit - but it will certainly be a pain reading everything like this.

Perhaps. Or your eyes might surprise you and adjust.  [wink2]

Also, if the size I've chosen appears to be too small, several browsers allow users to set a minimum font size. So, all one need do is increase that number. (I have mine set to 11 or 12, depending on the browser.)

I suppose I could just delete the fonts again.

Exactly. :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 03:47:10 AM »
Dear, patient MB.
I first copied your instructions; I got to the place where there's the zip thing; uh...yeah.

I also got to control panel, add font...don't understand...can't do it.

Duffily,

Patti

(read: Midnite, could you send me an e-mail putting it in American) :'(
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 04:49:00 AM »
Have you ever heard of Beehive?  That's what this is.  I have no idea what happens when I post in a different font like that.  I assume that if you have Beehive on your computer that you'll see it - as we did with your new ones.

I guess the forum fonts override mine.  Anyway, if you have Beehive - try something in it.

I have had some occasions when I converted a list of names and addresses from WordPerfect to Word and when I brought it up in Word, parts of it were in this Beehive.  At first I thought it was a bunch of nonsense, but if you look closely, the letters suddenly become apparent.  I think it's a riot.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 02:56:50 AM »
(read: Midnite, could you send me an e-mail putting it in American) :'(

Patti honey, sorry, but I think MB's instructions are fantastic.  Is there someone there that can show you how to unzip the files?  As for installing the fonts, I ran into a bit of a snag at that point yet got around it, but until you get there and can then say what's not working for you I don't know how I can help you. :(

Have you ever heard of Beehive?  That's what this is.  I have no idea what happens when I post in a different font like that.  I assume that if you have Beehive on your computer that you'll see it - as we did with your new ones.

I don't understand!  ???

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 04:24:38 AM »
I don't understand!  ???

I thought that if I had it in beehive it would show up here like that.  But, evidently the forum fonts rule.  So, look and see if you have beehive on your computer and try writing something in it.  It really looks like a bunch of abstract symbols, but as you look closer, suddenly the letter become apparent.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 05:59:24 AM »
I thought that if I had it in beehive it would show up here like that.  But, evidently the forum fonts rule.

Okay, thanks.  Yes, unless you surround your text with the YaBBC for fonts you'll see the forum or default font.  In this case, it would be:
Code: [Select]
[font=Beehive]TEXT[/font]
So, look and see if you have beehive on your computer and try writing something in it.  It really looks like a bunch of abstract symbols, but as you look closer, suddenly the letter become apparent.

I don't, but I found it online:
http://www.omegawebsites.co.uk/fonts/
Interesting.

LOL, check out the Astrological font ... second row ... eighth symbol from the end.   :P

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 01:50:23 PM »
LOL, check out the Astrological font ... second row ... eighth symbol from the end.   :P

Who knew there was a font with that symbol in it?  [wink2]

But I think I like Group Sex best. Too bad we didn't have it for our NUDE and THEN Weekend.  [lghy]

Hmm - who's up for changing the forum's font to Solstice Of Suffering?

[vryevl]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 05:32:34 AM »
I wonder what that symbol really means?  Since it's with astrological, it would seem to have some meaning along those lines - not the devil.

Presumably you can see why I was so shocked with the beehive.  I have no idea where it comes from - and it's generally not the whole document, some bits stay normal!!  So, I convert the file to Word, look it up to see if all is right - and that's what I find!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 10:19:37 PM »
Hmm - who's up for changing the forum's font to Solstice Of Suffering?

I must say that I'm VERY disappointed that no one seemed eager to switch the forum's font over to this one.  [bawling2]

And BTW, everyone should probably take note of the notice that has been added at the top of the first post in this thread. I'm sure many of you are inconsolably heartbroken. (Raineypark, PLEASE DON'T go through with that suicide attempt! Better things are sure to come. :-*) But one of the sad and harsh realities of life is that sometimes even the greatest of things must eventually come to an end.  :'(

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 12:07:27 AM »
As regards the symbol in the Astrological Font, which I finally got around to examining today, it's the old alchemical symbol for Earth.  A symbol similar to it is also used to represent the Earth sephira (Malkuth) on the Tree of Life in Qabalah.

Why it was adopted for use as a prop for the Judah Zachary character on DS, I have not a clue.

Perhaps it was meant to be a relic of the Happy Meal of Baal???

G.