Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0650  (Read 838 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0650
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:32:02 PM »
Robservations #650

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0650

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »
Roger Davis VO.  Pivotal episode, and it might have been a great one if A Moltke had still been here.  I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to go out on a note of utter devotion and heartache for Jeff Clark of all people, though.  Time travel helped Vicki get over Burke... maybe they should have whisked her off to 1897... Anyway, Barnabas and Vicki get to say goodbye, because of Vicki's idea of leaving Collinwood, perhaps put here in the story just so they could have that goodbye scene, [spoiler] though the goodbye wasn't final, as it turned out.[/spoiler]   Liz and Barnabas actually witness Vicki and Peter disappear, which is nice for their later sanity.   It would be hard on Liz in particular to be stuck between belief and disbelief on these things.

It's sort of touching how totally awkward and naive Barnabas is in his proposal scene.  Everything he's saying to Vicki is utterly wrong.  His worldliness is failing him completely here.  I'm very glad they wrote the scene this way.  This is "inbetween Barnabas", not the totally selfish villain, not the somewhat wiser, more heroic figure quite yet, either.  He's in transition.  Maybe people who know better will sometimes be overwhelmed by losing someone to the point where they can only think about their own side of it.  Anyway, Barnabas has that embarrassment of the middle-aged man rejected by a young woman... he feels ridiculous, is probably filling his head with thoughts of "How could I have ever thought she could see anything in someone my age, I should know better at my age, yet I don't, what a fool I turned out to be..."  If he ever saw Lolita, he must be comparing himself to Humbert Humbert.  Vicki manages in her grief not to encourage this sort of thinking on Barnabas's part.  Good for her.  She takes care of them both.

Maybe in the 18th century, people made such arrangements, another man marrying and caring for the woman who has been rejected.   He was dressing his needs up in an old-world sort of protection of the woman left adrift after having been abandoned, which might have been a shamewful thing for the woman back then.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
We get one last, lovely scene with Elizabeth and Vicki--still nice even with faux Vicki no. 1.

A long time ago, when I had lots of free time, I transcribed the Barn-Vicki farewell. It really is lovely:

Barnabas comes into Vicki's room and finds her sitting in a chair and near despair over her plight. But she is always glad to see Barnabas and greets him with a smile. I was going to go to you, to say goodbye, she says as Barnabas listens in surprise. I'm leaving Collinwood, she explains. May I ask why, Barnabas says. I fell in love, married the man I love, then lost him, she says despondently. If I stayed, the memories would be unbearable. I understand, Barnabas says quietly (but with massive understatement). Vicki continues, I have to go away--where, I don't know, but I must go. If Barnabas was unhappy about Vicki’s marriage, he’s stunned at the possibility that he might never see her again. You're making a mistake, deserting the people who love you, he objects. Please don’t think of it that way, Vicki says. I care for you, he says in his gentlest, most persuasive tones. Come away with me. Let me take care of you. I realize it's too soon to ask, but Vicki, I want you to be my wife. [What incredibly bad timing, Barn!] She whirls around to face him. Sensing her astonishment, Barnabas says, Please let me speak. I know you don't feel for me as you feel for Jeff, but I believe you have some feeling for me. Of course I do, Vicki replies. Perhaps hoping to persuade himself, Barnabas continues, There's the possibility that, in time, your feelings might grow, and I might be able to make you happy. I'd do anything in the world to make you happy. Consider going away with me as my wife. You're the kindest, most considerate man I know, Vicki says gently. I feel close to you and always will.

Knowing what’s coming, Barnabas says softly, Please be sure before you say no. I'm honored you asked, she says, and I truly wish I didn't have to say no, but I must. Because you could never learn to love me? he asks (egotistically). No, Vicki replies solemnly. In many ways, I feel something like love for you, and if I hadn't met Jeff.... Jeff is gone, Barnabas reminds her. He isn't, Vicki replies, and while I know he will never return to me, I'll never stop loving him. I always will. My love for him will always exist in me, and so a part of Jeff will always exist, too. Poor Barnabas is so hurt that all he really understands is that Vicki will never marry him. [And what an idiot she is too!] Vicki continues apologetically, I'll never stop loving the man I _did_ marry. I can never have another husband. [So much for Burke Devlin!] I wish I didn't have to hurt you, she winds up. Please don’t apologize, Barnabas says. Apologies are always more painful than anything else. I asked you a question and you answered it. I want to leave it at that. When are you leaving? he asks. I don’t know, Vicki replies, but as soon as possible. It would be best to leave quickly, I feel. Then perhaps this should be our final farewell, Barnabas suggests. It would be easier that way, he opines. Goodbye, Vicki, he says quietly. Goodbye, Barnabas, she says. Barnabas takes a long final look at her face from about four feet away before he slowly leaves the room. (And no, gentle reader, being the gentlemanly courtly type that he is, he doesn’t even ask for a chaste peck on the cheek.) Before he reaches the door, Vicki stops him and says, Wherever I go, whatever happens to me, I'll never forget you. And I’ll never forget you, he promises. He walks out of the room, his face suffused with sorrow.

Vicki is so busy crying that she doesn’t see the blue light reappear--this time with Jeff inside it, wearing the simple eighteenth-century clothes of Peter Bradford. Her love brought him back--but only briefly, he tells her after an ecstatic kiss. She begs him to take her with him.

Downstairs, Roger finds Barnabas sitting miserably in a chair. Roger wishes he could help but has to leave for London. He promises to phone his sister when he arrives--a mark of the family's wealth in those days. Elizabeth waves goodbye, and we hear the cab drives off. She returns to Barnabas, surprised to see him here. I thought you were still upstairs with Vicki, she says. I just passed her room, heard her talking to a man and assumed it was you. Barnabas turns white, then runs out of the room and races up the stairs, Elizabeth close behind him.

You might feel lost in another century, Jeff/Peter warns Vicki. Not if I'm with you, she insists, holding him tightly. The clock is going to strike, he says. With Elizabeth right behind him, Barnabas tries the door--and finds it locked. Vicki! he calls out. Vicki starts with alarm at the sound of his voice. Peter tells Vicki, Take my hand and hold tight. I love you! he vows. I love you! Vicki replies passionately. Just as the clock strikes eight, Barnabas breaks down the door--but he is too late. Husband and wife are already chromakeyed. Barnabas and Elizabeth watch with grief and horror as Peter Bradford/Jeff Clark and Victoria Winters Clark/Bradford (Betsy Durkin in her final appearance on the show) slowly fade into the past forever. Vicki! Barnabas calls forlornly as he takes a step into the empty room.….

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
[spoiler]I wonder if this was originally meant to be Vicki's exit from the show.  It would explain Betsy Durkin's leaving.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
Interesting idea, MT. But when were they going to explain [spoiler]the whole mother-daughter thing[/spoiler]?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
I didn't mean originally as in from the start of DS-- I just meant [spoiler]that at the time they had Vicki return to the past, they might not have meant for DS and Barnabas to follow her into the past.  That might explain why they had to cast a third Vicki-- B Durkin might have moved on, having been told the role was over.  Maybe fan reaction changed things.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »
Okay, that makes sense.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:58 AM »
I prefer to imagine Alexandra in the final scenes.  The beginning and ending of the story of Peter and Vickie were okay but the middle mess really was awful.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »
I too like to imagine how Alexandra might have played this episode.  Her finest work was in some of her scenes with Roger Davis, especially the ones where they argued.  In fact, I consider her performance in those scenes to be the best acting in the entire series (at least up to this point)!  Alexandra conveyed real emotion in those scenes, and I could feel her distress.  Betsy Durkin, while she had a few good moments here and there, just absolutely fell flat in this episode.