Author Topic: DS Meets The Mod Squad  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DS Meets The Mod Squad
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:52:54 AM »
Imagine my surprise tonight when I watched the pilot movie for The Mod Squad (on MeTV) simply for a bit of nostalgia only to discover that Addison Powell was one of the major guest stars involved in the case. It was probably the first time I've seen Powell in something that he did before DS (the movie was produced in 1967), and as per usual when it comes to his non-DS work, he was really quite good. But then, as I've said many times, I don't fault Powell for anything he did on DS. We know how the DS directors loved nothing better than to get some of the actors to go over the top. And of course it wasn't just the directors but DC himself with his insistence that there had to be more, More, MORE and everything had to be big, Big, BIG!! Actually, it's a testament to many of the actors that they all didn't succumb to that sort of direction.

But even more surprising than discovering Powell in the movie was discovering that the climax of the story was all shot at Greystone. And it was a version of Greystone that I've never seen before because not only was all the woodwork painted a light blue, there was a huge mural painted on the entire wall of the entrance/Great Hall. What a horrible shame it is that some fool OK'd the painting over of the mural at some point!  ::)

And if those connections weren't enough, I'm pretty sure the final scene of the movie was shot on the same beach as the one Vicki gave Barnabas Sarah's diary in the '91 DS.

(And as a bit of non-DS trivia, Addison Powell's character's daughter was played by Brooke Bundy, who late-'70s/early-'80s General Hospital fans will remember as the ill-fated Diana Taylor. She was obviously younger than during her GH stint, but she was instantly recognizable.)

Also, once again I can't say that I noticed that anything was cut if it was. And I also didn't notice any of the sequences sped up to fit in the time alotted.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: DS Meets The Mod Squad
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »
Very cool. Powell is mentioned several times in Stuart Little's OFF BROADWAY (a work that also features a fab photo of Grayson in THE BALCONY), and Little is quite complimentary about Powell's abilities, so I presumed it was just the crazy production schedule on DS that resulted in his difficulties.  Somebody must have liked him since they brought him back for 1840.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
I've always found that it was jerry lacy's mustache-twirling performance as reverend trask in 1795 that officially "launched" the broad and cartoonish DS "style"...

but powell's turn as dr.lang certainly took it to the nth degree. [snow_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »
Some screen captures from the movie:

Brooke Bundy and Addison Powell

The side wall in the Great Hall of Greystone

The main wall

The second floor hallway

The infamous Mod Squad station wagon parked in the courtyard

The beach

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »
One black. One white. One blonde. What a blast from the past! Great find, MB!  [snow_smiley]
 [snow_smiley]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »
In the 1964 Jerry Lewis film The Disorderly Orderly, Greystone portrayed the "Whitestone Sanatorium and Hospital" and the woodwork was painted light gray. The mural did not seem to be there then. While the mural is rather impressive, it also seems to be ... well ... a bit much ...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 12:58:50 AM »
Yeah, after we learned the '91 DS was shooting at Greystone, but before the series debuted, I bought a VHS copy of The Disorderly Orderly (because SG had mentioned that the Greystone estate had been used extensively in it) to see what it was like inside. I was disappointed, though, to discover later that many of the interiors used for the movie were actually sets and not real rooms in the house.  [snow_sad]

As for the mural, it would be fascinating to know why/when it was painted...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:47:46 AM »
Fascinating. Was Greystone ever used as a set for a movie set in Imperial Rome?  The mural looks like something that might have been seen in a Roman country villa.

I saw Addison Powell a couple of years ago in an episode of the series CORONET BLUE filmed in NYC around 1965.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 05:07:02 AM »
And if those connections weren't enough, I'm pretty sure the final scene of the movie was shot on the same beach as the one Vicki gave Barnabas Sarah's diary in the '91 DS.

Yes, that's the beach at Paradise Cove in Malibu, also in DS!  (And if you watch The Rockford Files on MeTV, it's the location of Jim's trailer.)

Thanks for the great photos!

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:47:08 PM »
The Mod Squad had the BEST opening theme....and montage!

I've seen Addison Powell in several things outside of Dark Shadows.   MacArthur comes to mind!

So tell me, were you impressed that he never "goofed" up at all????  thank goodness for retakes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:45:13 PM »
I see where Decades is running it again on the 1st at 9am ET...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 09:14:56 PM »
The Bette Davis thriller Dead Ringer was filmed there. As was the schlock fest Picture Mommy Dead.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
([pointing-up]  I love Dead Ringer and own it on DVD. I haven't seen Picture Mommy Dead in years, but I would like to. It's that rarity: A movie with Zsa Zsa Gabor that's actually worth watching.  [santa_wink]  It's on DVD but I've never come across it.)

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 10:15:27 PM »
It's on YouTube, if you're interested. [4009]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:22 PM »
([pointing-up]  Thanks!  [santa_smiley]

Seems like I'll have to do a bit of research on how long it should be, though, because there are several postings and the length is listed as anywhere from 1:22 to 2:27!!  [santa_huh])