Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0647  (Read 910 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0647
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
Robservations #647

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0647

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »
Fortunately for David, his father isn't dead. Elizabeth finds him at the bottom of the stairs. David and Amy wear their best innocent looks. Roger is sure someone inside the house tried to kill him. Elizabeth takes him upstairs. Downstairs and unseen by his father and his aunt, David twists the wire in his hands. Amy comes downstairs and reports that she woke Julia, who's getting dressed. What’s wrong? she asks. (Good grief.) Sad and frightened, David doesn’t reply.

As Elizabeth gets Roger a brandy--yes, he has some in his room!--she spots a tarot card--the Tower of Destruction--on the table. So welcome back, tarot cards. It wasn't there earlier, Roger says. Something is happening in our house. [But really, when is it not?] The kids visit him. He limps to the table with the brandy. David notices that he’s guarding his back, but Roger dismisses it. Why are you so concerned? he asks. I'll be all right in the morning. I’m so glad, Father, I’m so glad, David practically sobs as he gives Roger a hug. To his credit, Roger hugs him back.

Even though it's 1:00 a.m., Elizabeth phones Professor Stokes, who apparently is as much of a night owl as the Collinses. He agrees to come over (later) in the morning. When he arrives, he puts on his monocle to examine the card.

In the foyer, Amy remarks to David, You’re afraid to see Quentins. He calls you Jamison. He was my grandfather, David explains. [And yes, he is actually correct.] Quentin thinks you look exactly like Jamison, Amy says as if Quentin is paying David a great compliment. He told me to call you Jamison, too. You can ask him why, if we go upstairs, she wheedles. When they get to Quentin's Room, David calls out, Quentin! I won't do what you want anymore, not if it's like the last time! It's not fair to have me do things like that! Do you understand? The music begins to play. Quentin heard you, Amy explains. Maybe that's his answer. David becomes enthralled again as the music plays, and the cradle begins to rock. Jamison, you _do_ want to play the game! Amy says. Of course I do, David replies.

Welcome, Cavada Humphrey as Madame Janet Findley! I love her very first line: "Don’t tell me anything about the house, not the history nor personal experiences! I don't want to know what to expect!" She tries to reach her control--she's a medium--but Magda reaches out to her instead. (Good scream from CH here.)

The kids eavesdrop with increasing alarm. Stokes has to shake Mme. Findley out of her trance. She explains that there are two warring spirits in the house.

The kids race up to Quentin's Room, shouting that he has to tell them what to do!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
She tries to reach her control--she's a medium--but Magda reaches out to her instead.

Could you explain about the "control" please, DL?

Cavada H does the VO before we even meet her onscreen, which I like.   ECS's pink nightie is bleeding a strong red aura.  Roger has an appointment in "the Strathmore in London".  Slightly familiar, a hotel, maybe?   I wonder what sardines Roger's got to hustle over there...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
Gosh, MT, I'm probably the wrong person to ask, being a total nonbeliever in spiritualism! But as I understand it, the medium establishes a relationship with a contact--called the control--in the afterlife. When the medium enters the trance, his or her body is temporarily taken over by the control. The control speaks through the medium and  rounds up the spirit(s) the medium or the clients want to communicate with. I have no idea why the contact is called the control. At this séance, Madame Findley reaches out and expects to contact her usual control, but that person is somehow mystically pushed aside by Magda, who is desperate to warn everyone about Quentin. Magda takes over Madame Findley and speaks through her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
Thanks DL, and welcome back.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
Thank you, MT! I was away for an all-too-brief but fun vacation.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:17 PM »
Madame Findlay dominates this episode.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times