Author Topic: OT: Only Lovers Left Alive  (Read 787 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OT: Only Lovers Left Alive
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:53 AM »
Fans,

Over the President's Day weekend, I had the opportunity to catch a preview of the "new" Jim Jarmusch film ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE, about a pair of star-crossed vampire lovers, Adam and Eve, played by Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOKvWrwYFo

I've been hearing about this project ever since Jarmusch started talking about it back in 2011.  The film was actually completed in 2012.  Filming happened mainly in Detroit and Tangier.  The film only really shares in common with DS the theme of "supernatural" beings whose story involves some very human emotional complications.  I am totally in awe of the art direction, the writing, the use of music and imagery... the pace is very slow (I prefer to think of it as leisurely) and the focus is on character dynamics, mood, atmosphere, and carefully built emotional tension.  Mia Wasikowska plays the sister of the Tilda character, John Hurt plays an aged Christopher Marlowe (yes, the Elizabethan playwright) living as a vampire in Tangier, and Anton Yelchin is a cute, clueless lad who is the Hiddles character's Willie.

I think DS fans might find this one very interesting.  The US release is supposed to be sometime in April but it is unclear whether it will be a full, nationwide release or only selected cities as an initial test.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Only Lovers Left Alive
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
I've been seeing a lot about this film lately, and Tilda Swinton is always fascinating in anything she does (I'm really looking forward to seeing her in The Grand Budapest Hotel ), so I'll definitely make an effort to see Only Lovers Left Alive at some point.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Only Lovers Left Alive
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
The 25 Best Romances of the 21st Century, From ‘Carol’ to ‘Only Lovers Left Alive

5. “Only Lovers Left Alive” (2013)

Sadly, I still have yet to get to see this...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile