Author Topic: The Rev. Trask: One Groovy Vicar  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
The Rev. Trask: One Groovy Vicar
« on: March 08, 2002, 08:44:17 AM »
I have to say that the Rev. Ian (?) Trask is one sharp looking man of the cloth.  Trask looks "super cool" with that black bandanna around his neck (kind of like Pernell "Adam Cartwright" Roberts on "Bonanza."

As a former altar boy, I don't think that I ever saw a priest as hip-looking as Trask (except possibly for the late Jack Lemmon in the flick "Mass Appeal" (remember Jack Lemmon as the with-it "Father Bojangles" in that film?).

I defy anyone old enough to remember Johnny Carson on the "Tonight Show," and say that the Rev. Trask does NOT remeind them of the frenetic Art Fern, host of the "Tea Time Movie Sketch."  "Ooooh, yes tea time movie fans!!!"

In conclusion, if I might paraphrase the great Isacc Hayes, "That cat Trask is one bad motherf#*@##!!!"

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who is anxiously awaiting the release of the new CD, "Kathie Lee Gifford Sings The Songs Of All That Jazz."

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: The Rev. Trask: One Groovy Vicar
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 02:02:32 PM »
Hey Bob,

You forgot that slicked back hair another Adam Cartwright trait!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 04:01:43 PM »
Yes Bob, I remember Jack Lemmon in "Mass Appeal".
That movie had one of the best lines ever...if you were raised Catholic:

"Relevant? Our parish was so relevant we sang "Leaving On A Jet Plane" on Ascension Thursday!"
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2002, 04:17:45 AM »
Dear RaineyPark,

As I recall, Jack Lemmon's character was a priest who was tooling around in a Mercedes Benz while assigned to a very wealthy suburban parish.  Mr. Lemmon's character was hardly a modern day Fr. Damian, driving around in an old Yugo while tending to the members of some poor urban parish.

Come to think of it, I wonder how large and affluent the Rev. Trask's congregation was in Salem, MA?  Maybe there were not that many parishioners left after the "good" reverend performed all those rites of exorcism.

Speaking of exorcisms, when I read William Peter Blatty's novel, "The Exorcist," it scared the heck out of me.  I always wondered if "Captain Howdy" was going  to sneak into my house at night.  And, yet, when I saw the movie, I could not stop laughing when Linda Blair "ralphed" (or up-chucked) right into Max Von Sydow's face.  Thank God, Josette did not up-chuck into the Rev. Trask's face when he started to perform the rite of exorcism.  But, come to think of it...

Bob the Bartender, who's got agita in the labanza!!!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2002, 04:30:27 AM »
I just got back from Salem, Ma and I did not see a house of worship with the name Trask attached.  I guess you were right all his parishioners  have fled the area. hehe.  I am amazed at Jerry Lacy's performance.  He had so much dialoge to memorize.  It must have been grueling.  I give him a great deal of credit.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 11:19:01 PM »
When I first saw Jerry Lacy as the lawyer, was it Tony?, I thought, WOW that guy is hot (liked his attitude too), and then, every once in a while he would say something that sounded like Trask.  After a short while I realized, he was Trask.  I HATE Trask.  I've always hated Trask.  He is such a pain in the A.  Now I've got this weird love-hate thing going on.  Love the actor, hate the character...Oy.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2002, 12:08:42 AM »
S
p
o
i
l
e
r

i'm tying to decide which on one of the Traks i hate the most Latisha this one is pretty bad but hate Gregory too! love when he is walled in and that cute little Tim is smiling!!!(miss Don B can't wait for Tom the vampire
to arrive!)
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2002, 12:30:09 AM »
Spoiler
Yes, I loved when he was walled in.   I was SO STRESSED OUT when he had Barnabus walled in.  Day after day, stuck in the wall with no food, and no bathroom.  But those DS people don't use the bathroom, do they?

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2002, 03:57:31 AM »
Sp Day after day, stuck in the wall with no food, and no bathroom.  But those DS people don't use the bathroom, do they?

What do you think the woods outside the Old House is used for! ::) ;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2002, 04:10:37 AM »
Uhhhh, you people seem to have wandered a little off topic, haven't you?

I'm wondering why on earth Trask, the self-righteous son of a Puritan parentage would be conducting a ceremony of the Papist church!!  Did Protestant Witch Hunters "Do" Exorcisms?  

Well, even if they ever did, they certainly weren't doing them by 1795.  Sometimes this is written like the Reformation never happened, never mind the Revolution!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2002, 05:52:49 AM »

I'm wondering why on earth Trask, the self-righteous son of a Puritan parentage would be conducting a ceremony of the Papist church!!  Did Protestant Witch Hunters "Do" Exorcisms?  

Well, even if they ever did, they certainly weren't doing them by 1795.  Sometimes this is written like the Reformation never happened, never mind the Revolution!!

Raineypark

I get the feeling (probably because it was expressed earlier on the show at some point by some character who escapes me) that Rev. Trask is not a minister of any recognized church.  Moreover, I am going to guess that he is self-ordained.  Which makes his claims of authority extremely dubious--I suspect that Rev. Bland and/or Joshua could have kicked his black-clad derriere back to whatever backwater he came from moment 1 had they thought to do it.

As for doing exorcisms, I dunno.  I know that it's a Catholic ritual, but perhaps Protestants performed them too?  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2002, 05:51:19 PM »

I get the feeling (probably because it was expressed earlier on the show at some point by some character who escapes me) that Rev. Trask is not a minister of any recognized church.  Moreover, I am going to guess that he is self-ordained.  Which makes his claims of authority extremely dubious--I suspect that Rev. Bland and/or Joshua could have kicked his black-clad derriere back to whatever backwater he came from moment 1 had they thought to do it.

As for doing exorcisms, I dunno.  I know that it's a Catholic ritual, but perhaps Protestants performed them too?  

Luciaphil

I feel that is is self appointed to Luciaphil and that his church is The house of Trask!
Don't know about exorcisms but suppose anyone could try them'
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2002, 10:04:19 PM »

Luciaphil

I'd have to do some checking, but I don't think so...for one thing, the early Protestants had a strong bias against Catholic ritual because of the level of corruption hiding behind all of the pomp and ceremony.  

Out of curiosity, though, I looked through my copy of The Devil in Massachusetts last night to see if they might have adapted any methods of "devil expulsion," and I couldn't find any mention of exorcism attempts involving the girls they thought were possessed.  In fact, one chapter talked about the local minister being frightened out of his wits because one of the "witches" was bold enough to show up in a pew during his sermon and he was afraid she'd cast a spell on the congregation.

Cheers,

Linda

Thom

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2002, 10:39:28 PM »
BTB LMAO!! I recall that Carson character you are refering to!!! As for Jerry Lacy he wanted to play Rev. Trask in the 1991 revival series and Curtis turned him down - stupidly IMO. But then Curtis could have had Clarice Blackburnplay Aunt Abigail in the revival as well. The actress who did play Mrs. j/Ab in 91 was Julianna McCarthy who in real life is only two years younger than Clarice Blackburn was at the time!! I also think Louie Edmonds could have played Joshua. Those three would have made the 1991 series memorable.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2002, 10:53:57 PM »
I'm with you Thom there Jerry Lacey is the only one to play The Trasks!feel they are his creations!!

jennifer ;D
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV