Author Topic: Three Possible New Homes For DS  (Read 2390 times)

David

Three Possible New Homes For DS
« on: October 23, 2003, 04:22:02 PM »
I'm not surprised about Sci-Fi ending the DS runs--they've been acting like they don't want it anymore for years. And they do schedule old shows.

Twilight Zone, Star Trek, etc. are still on, still being promoted by them, still being presented as Holiday marathons. In 10 years, Sci-Fi didn't do ONE DS marathon. DS has always been Sci-Fi's bastard step-child. Just as well that they dump it.

DS has a great home at MPI, who promote it heavily(I saw ads for the DS DVDs on NBC's current soap Passions) and do numerous special DS documentaries. The tapes and DVDs are much better in quality than the faded Sci-Fi prints, and the DVDs will last a lifetime!

Still, for those who prefer watching DS on the air, here are a few places it would do well, so send those cards & letters folks, but don't call these channels!(they don't like calls)

1. TV Land
2. Soapnet

both these channels respect and promote every show they air, and both are dedicated to classic TV, Soapnet being a soap only channel, but
TV Land being a classics only channel that will show anything popular from pre-1980 and back!

3. The Horror Channel

goes on the air 0ct 31 2004. Has a website already, may be the best home for DS of all, where it would blend in nicely with other horror themed shows. Email petition@horrorchannel.com and give them your city, state, and name of your cable system. Then ask for DS. They are using such emails to cut deals with cable providers, but reportedly are already guaranteed space on satellite and digital systems.

I've heard the DS Death Knell enough times over the years to know it ain't gonna happen!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Three Possible New Homes For DS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 06:49:02 PM »
I'm hoping for the Horror Channel to give DS a home (and then hoping our cruddy cable system wil carry the Horror Channel - we don't even get the Cartoon Network).  TV Land, unfortunately, cuts a great deal out of the shows they air in order to slam in more commercials; entire original scenes vanish.  Sometimes as much as 20% of an episode will be excised.  Since DS sometimes packed stuff into an episode to the point of not being able to run end credits, I'm afraid TV Land would butcher it so we can be subjected to as many Geico Insurance and Dell Computer commercials as possible.

Gerard (Who Is Still In A State Of Shock About The Announcement And Hasn't Absorbed It Yet)

Offline Anna Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 07:13:32 PM »
Of those three choices, I hope they put it on TV Land.  I can't get the other two channels. :(
My name is Anna Collins...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 07:20:08 PM »
While I'm very hopeful that the Horror Channel will be something I'll enjoy, I think SoapNet is the best bet for DS....they don't just air their programs....they make a big deal out of them....they do specials on them....

Do any of you remember the appearance earlier this year of John Karlen, KLS, Lara Parker and ........(I'm drawing a blank on who else was there!!).....on that morning show with the annoying hosts on Soap Net?  THAT's the sort of thing we want to see for DS!!  :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

David

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 07:20:29 PM »
Anna Collins: Horror Channel begins in one year. It's not on now.

Follow the link above in my first post to this thread to request it on your local system, and ask them to carry DS.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 08:15:35 PM »
- we don't even get the Cartoon Network).

you don't get Dexter :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:56:40 PM »
No, Jennifer!  And I love Dexter!  (Didi rules!)  And my other favorite, along with the Powerpuff Girls, is Courage the Cowardly Dog.  And I can't see any of them anymore since moving here!  And now I'm losing Dark Shadows!  I think it's time to just end it all.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 12:31:45 AM »
EEK, Gerard, please don't even joke about that!

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 01:10:15 AM »
I would love to see DS on SOAPnet or TV Land. I have mixed feelings on the Horror Channel though, because it would probably only be available to a relatively small audience at first. I have to say that, between SOAPnet and TV Land, I hope it ends up on SOAPnet. TV Land usually doesn't keep their shows for more than 2-3 years max (usually, there are a few exceptions), and I've heard that they don't want to run soaps (one reason probably being their monthly schedule changes).

TV Land, unfortunately, cuts a great deal out of the shows they air in order to slam in more commercials; entire original scenes vanish.  Sometimes as much as 20% of an episode will be excised.  Since DS sometimes packed stuff into an episode to the point of not being able to run end credits, I'm afraid TV Land would butcher it so we can be subjected to as many Geico Insurance and Dell Computer commercials as possible.

Unfortunately, most networks now cut material out of their repeats. The average amount cut per episode is 2-3 minutes (if it's a 30 minute episode). TV Land usually cuts out the standard 2-3 minutes. I doubt they would edit DS, though. Most of their shows were originally 25 minutes long, but DS was only 22, so there would be no need to edit the episodes unless Worldvision/DCP chose to do so.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 01:34:24 AM »
GERARD....be happy

David...it's not a link, right, it's just an e-mail addy?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 01:44:34 AM »
I'm hoping for the Horror Channel to give DS a home (and then hoping our cruddy cable system wil carry the Horror Channel - we don't even get the Cartoon Network).  TV Land, unfortunately, cuts a great deal out of the shows they air in order to slam in more commercials; entire original scenes vanish.  Sometimes as much as 20% of an episode will be excised.  Since DS sometimes packed stuff into an episode to the point of not being able to run end credits, I'm afraid TV Land would butcher it so we can be subjected to as many Geico Insurance and Dell Computer commercials as possible.

Gerard (Who Is Still In A State Of Shock About The Announcement And Hasn't Absorbed It Yet)

Gerard,

You know it's disconcerting enough to learn of the Sci-Fi Channel's plan to pull the plug on Dark Shadows, virtually on New Year's Eve.  (Yeah, the Sci-Fi Channel, purveyor of "superb" original movies, featuring the likes of Antonio Sabato, Jr., Angie Everhardt, and the "next Marlon Brando," the renowned Richard Grieco!).

Yet, the prospect of Dark Shadows episodes being edited on TV LAND, so that they can air even more of those Dell Computer commercials, with all of those smarmy college interns is just too much to take!  What's next, the triumphant return of Steve, the Dell Computer dude?

Stop the cable TV insanity!  Jesus, Mary and St. Joseph, I can't take it anymore!!!

Bob the Bartender, who hopes that "Scare Tactics" bombs as miserably as did that loathsome "Dream Team" Sci-Fi show.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 08:20:39 AM »
Actually, I think DS fans should be grateful to the SciFi Channel.  After all, they were the first outlet to show the entire run of DS since its original airing.  Not even the New Jersey Network, who was instrumental in getting the third syndicated year released, showed the final year or the pre-Barnabas episodes.  And, with the exception of a one-year break, SciFi has made DS a regular part of their programming.

Yes, it's a shame that DS won't be on SciFi after December, and I will say that I think they should arrange to finish out the series instead of ending it with a month's worth of episodes to go.  However, nothing lasts forever.

Besides, the show will probably turn up somewhere else eventually...

Regards,

John

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 06:15:27 PM »
No, Jennifer!  And I love Dexter!  (Didi rules!)  And my other favorite, along with the Powerpuff Girls, is Courage the Cowardly Dog.  And I can't see any of them anymore since moving here!  And now I'm losing Dark Shadows!  I think it's time to just end it all.

oh no talk to us honey!
i love those shows too and i agree Didi does rule!(what does this button do?Courage is just so weird
i'll watch it and say why am i doing this?HeeHee

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

David

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 05:05:09 PM »
According to Stuart's Collinwood.net page, Jim Pierson & Curtis are in fact talking to Soapnet about DS. Soapnet would be great, but Horror Channel might be better.

PATTI: The horror channel link is just an email addy.

Offline Anna Collins

• View Profile
Re:Three Possible NUDE Homes For DS
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 06:38:54 PM »
Anna Collins: Horror Channel begins in one year. It's not on THEN.

Follow the link above in my first post to this thread to request it on your local system, and ask them to carry DS.

My cable network has never listened to a request.  They choose on their own whether or not to give a station that everyone else has.  Most of the time, they decide not to put that channel in. :(

We just got Court TV last week. :o  I think that channel has been around for a while.
My name is Anna Collins...