Author Topic: 1897 after 1840  (Read 828 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
1897 after 1840
« on: October 21, 2003, 06:50:32 PM »
[spoiler]Unfortunately we never got to see how 1897 set up following the conclusion of the 1840 story with Edith and Gabriel now dead.

I think the ramnifications hit 1897 much more then the present time as it is only two generations later.

IMHO...Quentin I and Daphne most likely never returned and neither did Desmonf & Leticia.  They wouldn't want the memories of what happened to them constantly around them.

Perhaps this led to a more placid time with the parents of Judith, Edward, Quentin, and Carl now living past the time they originally died and raising the children themselves.

The personalities of the children may have also changed with their parents raising them instead of their grandmother Edith.  Quentin II may never have become the lout he was and never had a werewolf curse placed upon him, so there is never any ghost for David and Amy to find in 1969.

Barnabas & Julia now never went to 1897 as Quentin II may have lived a normal life with Jenny and died a normal death.  Quentin II's son may have moved away when he got older and never came back, raising a family elsewhere.   Lenore still married and had a daughter who married a man named Jennings.

The Quentin in the present time is now the real grandson of Quentin II now living with the family.  He may have arrived at Collinwood in 1970 at the time of the Leviatian's.

What we have here is following the Adam storyline, there is a year where there was nothing happening at Collinwood until somehow the Leviathan's got hold of Barnabas in November 1969 and sent him to their dimension making it appear it is really 1796.[/spoiler]

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re:1897 after 1840
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 05:43:17 PM »
That's really interesting, Joeytrom!  Loved in particular your ideas of what may have become of 1897 Quentin as a result of changes made in the 1840 storyline.  And I've often wondered how those changes affected 1971 life in general upon the return of Barnabas, Julia and Stokes from the past.

Have always wondered this in particular: why does Liz even recognize Stokes when the trio returns?  The reason he came into the storyline in 1968 in the first place IIRC was as Cassandra Blair's faculty advisor, or some such, wasn't it?

[spoiler]If Angelique died in 1840, is it a safe assumption that she never showed up in the 1890's or the 1960's to devil the Collins family?[/spoiler]

I guess we'll have to assume Stokes became aquainted with the family in some other way.  Maybe as Liz's boyfriend?  :-*

There is also this question.  If Barnabas made some changes in 1897, and ostensibly put things to rights in 1840, aren't the times he returned to in 1969 and in 1971 alternate realities of what he first saw - other versions of parallel time, so to speak?  There could be an infinite number of alternate realities in the Dark Shadows spacetime continuum.

Now that they're in 1840, Barnabas and and Julia keep talking about how much different things are in 1840 from what they expected.  Maybe they didn't even land in the version of 1840 they were shooting for.  ::)
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re:1897 after 1840
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 09:39:59 PM »
On one of the fanfic lists.  ..Stokes, Julia and Barn return to find things very different. . .especially B & J's 1970-71 relationship. . . which they find out rather publically at the "historical" meeting Liz is all gussied up for when they return. . . it's a pretty fun idea. . lark. . .but aside from the sibling antics of 1897 DS didn't have too much humor unfortunately
Julia99