Author Topic: If Barnabas was never released from his coffin...  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If Barnabas was never released from his coffin...
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »
There are many things that would be different but what would still have happened anyway?

The Liz/Jason story would play out the same way (except Jasons final outcome)  and Chris Jennings would still be a werewolf (though never moving to Collinsport). 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: If Barnabas was never released from his coffin...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:18 AM »
Without Barnabas on the scene, there's no reason for Julia, Angelique. Nicholas or the leviathans to be in collinsport.

Eric Lang would have probably still followed through with his experiment. If Amy Jennings is not at Collinwood,  I don't know it the Quentin/Beth haunting would have happened. Since the arrival of Hallie Stokes depends on an incident that occurs away from Collinwood, the Gerard and Daphne story seems more likely to have taken place. I guess it would have been left to Professor Stokes and possibly Madame Findlay to handle things.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:22:40 AM »
Love the idea of Madame Findlay & Mrs. Johnson either pairing up or bumping heads.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
After 1897, they should have brought Madame Findlay back as a recurring character...[spoiler]As she (and Ezra Braithwaite) would still be alive with the Quentin haunting not happening- as for people still remembering the haunting after 1897, I just say it was Leviathan induced so the family wouldn't accept Quentin, perhaps they saw him as a possible threat to their plan[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »
Vicki would still be David's tutor, although she might face a life of lonely spinsterhood.

Joe and Maggie would have gotten married. And Sam would still be alive.

Willie would have remained a violent, two-bit punk and might have been run out of town with Jason.

Eric Lang probably would have finished the experiment himself, but he would have had to find somebody else to be his resurrectionist.

NO NED STUART!!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 02:22:47 AM »
Liz would still blab at her forced wedding., but after Jason is arrested, in order to prevent a scandal, she'd drop charges and pay him off.  He'd leave with Willie (but would they be back?).

Chris would still show up as a werewolf, but with no one to protect his secret, he'd be found out and killed.

Maggie would marry Joe.

The haunting of Collinwood by Quentin (and Beth) would precede, but without help he would succeed and David would die.  Collinwood would be abandoned by the family who would move elsewhere.  Collinsport would fall into economic ruin with the loss of Collins fishing.  Maggie, Joe and Sam would move to New York.  Vikci would get a job as a teacher in a school in Pittsburgh.  The ghost of Gerard/Judah would come back and find competiition with Quentin in an abandoned Collinwood and would be really PO'ed that his plan to destroy the family was done by a later spook.  They decide to haunt the place together to scare anyone, usually young people who've had too much to drink, to enter the empty house.  Decades later, it would be featured on SyFy's Ghosthunters

Carolyn would finally marry and get divorced.  She'd get married again, and gets divorced.  She'd marry a third time and gets divorced.  After that, she becomes a scientologist.

Gerard

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:06:15 AM »
Vicki would still be David's tutor, although she might face a life of lonely spinsterhood.

I always had this sneaking suspicion that Barnabas had something to do with Burke's "accident." Although I'm not sure how. It just seemed entirely too convenient.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
Gerard, Carolyn's fate is hilarious, as is most of the rest of your version.

Doctor, I also wondered a teeny bit about that plane crash. But unless Barnabas could somehow bat himself to South America overnight, I don't see how it could have happened.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
On second viewing I was satisfied that Barn had nothing to do with it. Until that second viewing though, I was leaning more towards him being involved.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
There wouldn't be any haunting of Collinwood as Amy came to Collinwood due to Toms death by Angelique.  Tom would still be alive to take care of her.

Prof. Stokes knew the family only because of his interest in Angelique's portrait.  Hallie would still be an orphan but she wouldn't come to Collinwood as her uncle would never meet the family.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »
One can't really say never because some other circumstance may have cropped up in which Stokes became involved with the Collinses.  [snow_smiley]

And given David's penchant for all things supernatural, we can't really know that on his own David wouldn't have somehow unleashed Quentin's ghost (we must remember David's strong resemblance to Jamison and how important Jamison was to Quentin).  [snow_smiley]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
Stokes was interested in all kinds of psychic phenomena, so he might have become involved with the family while investigating Laura.

Carolyn knew Tom a bit because he had done some work for the Collinses. But without Angelique, he would have lived, and maybe brought Amy to Collinwood at some point, so she still could have met David. So we might still have the Quentin-Beth story. The writers could have killed Tom off some other way in order to bring Chris to Collinwood and start the Quentin's curse story.

David

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 03:23:43 AM »
........then DS would have eventually become a teen romance drama, cancelled in 2011 along with All My Children and One Life to Live.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
it's been a long time since I've seen this part of the show but if I recall correctly Professor Stokes arrival at Collinwood had nothing to do with Barnabas originally. he came to look into the circumstances surrounding his distant relative Ben Stokes' time at Collinwood. of course he would have encountered Barnabas as part of that "history" but his present day "release" didn't factor into his reasons for launching his investigation...

the idea that Barnabas either caused or was somehow involved in Burke's plane crash is one of the series' great misconceptions. Sarah told Carolyn and David that someone was going to die. they heard it in the music. no one would cause it and nothing could stop it. then Vicki heard the wailing of the widows...

if one missed this particular episode or even just this scene it's easy to speculate on this point but the writers actually made it clear Barnabas would not be responsible for this event. as I recall he was as surprised(although pleased)as everyone else when it happened. why they decided on this rather than just having Barnabas kill him(a plane crash in Brazil was rather random and out of left field)we'll never know but that's how it went down. 
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
Doctor, I also wondered a teeny bit about that plane crash. But unless Barnabas could somehow bat himself to South America overnight, I don't see how it could have happened.
I'm convinced that the writers are in agreement with you. Officially, he most likely had nothing to do with it. There are no other hints that he did anything to the plane. But, I could think of a couple of possible scenarios, he could have bitten the pilot and ordered him to crash the plane  just before the scheduled landing. Less likely to me, since he had no technical knowlege, he could have tampered with the plane, perhaps the fuel line. In absence of more evidence though, these ideas are just fodder for fanfic