Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0623  (Read 1211 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0623
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »
Robservations #623

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0623

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »
[spoiler]The later return to 1796 with Peter & Vicky must negate this right? Not counting Leviathan rewrites.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
Yep.

Viewers will need to suspend their disbelief because Peter Bradford and Ben Stokes recognize Eve, even though she bears no resemblance to Danielle Roget, the woman they would actually have known. Maybe they just recognize her evil soul.

The jailer refers to "Gloria Winters" when he recaps the story of how Vicki was hanged in 1795.

The jailer takes Eve to see Peter, who insists there is nothing more between them. He observes with irony, You actually killed a man (Philippe Cordier), and you’re getting away with it, and I’m about to hanged for a murder I didn’t commit! She begs him to let her help him escape, even though she knows it means she won’t return to 1968. He isn’t interested until he hears the hangman practicing with the trapdoor on the scaffold. Then he lets her persuade him and even agrees to join her. The town clock has begun striking while they’ve talked. After Eve leaves, poor Peter covers his ears against the sound that brings his death closer.

Not only has Joshua kept his promise to Barnabas and freed Ben, he’s made him a trusted confidant. He tells Ben that he has rewritten the Collins family history: I have copied the book out in my own hand, but so that future generations will be able to take pride in the family, I have made certain changes: My descendants will not know the truth about the vile and pitiful thing Barnabas has become, or about Naomi’s suicide, or about poor Millicent’s unfortunate association with that scoundrel Forbes [which still makes him mad]. Joshua wants Ben to burn the book that Vicki brought back with her. But Eve gets the book away from Ben.

Meanwhile, Peter changes his mind and decides not to escape with Eve. He watches in astonishment as she fades away, her six hours in 1795 having expired.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
Maybe they see her as Danielle Roget and the audience sees her as Eve.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Maybe they see her as Danielle Roget and the audience sees her as Eve.

Clearly, but why do they, if Eve went back physically as she is in 1968?

[spoiler]The later return to 1796 with Peter & Vicky must negate this right? Not counting Leviathan rewrites.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That's what I thought.  Even though in 1897, Barn later somehow knows Eve did all this, and retrieves the family history for his own use, after having un-hanged Vicki.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »
It falls to Louis Edmonds to explain Eve's standalone time travel episode to us.   Who did Eve mug after arriving in 1975, to get period clothing?   Did she arrive a la the Terminator, in her altogether?   So Eve left Collinsport six months earlier... or was killed?   Why come back to this point in time?   None of this cancels out V & P, but it would cancel out Peter becoming Jeff?   Unless he died after Eve's interference soon anyway, and still willed himself to '68 Vicki.

Why didn't they believe condemned witch Vicki about committing yet one more crime, the murder of Noah?   I know they suspect her of saying it to save Peter, but it's a weird time to get skeptical about Vicki and all her evil...

[spoiler]Does the Collins family history end up at the Collinsport court house in 1897, to be snatched by 1897 Barnabas?  Bet it doesn't.[/spoiler]

Good for Josh I guess, for not blaming Vicki for witchcraft, while still blaming the family history from 1965 for being a product of witchcraft.  It's screwy of him, but he's making a good faith effort to be fair to Vicki, while not being able to rid himself of his his backward judgmentalism.  Interesting halfway position.

Gaoler to Bradford on last requests for dying men: "You may ask for anything you want.... except your freedom!!"  He's clearly heard that one before.... can't get one by him boy....   Eve decides not to hang around for the execution out of professional interest.   I was getting to like the gaoler (Tom Gorman), so I'm sorry he lost his date.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:03:47 AM »
I thought I had heard Gloria Winters also.  This is just a mess. Where was Eve in the original? 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:43 AM »
I guess Danielle Roget, looking like Leona Eltridge, just happened to be seeing Bradford in Collinport Massachusetts months prior to Vicki's arrival there.   Her looking like Eve is inexplicable.   I guess that if you're running away from something in France, an obscure port town might be a good place to hide, though I don't know what the politics were in France then.

What still wonder is, didn't Eve bring the Collins 1965 history back to 1968 with her?   I think Nick asked her about it.   If so, [spoiler]that makes the thing with Barnabas getting the book in the courthouse or somewhere in 1897, supposedly because Eve left it there in 1795, total BS... Not to mention the fact that there's no way for him to know Eve did most of the time...[/spoiler]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
If we're to think about it at all, I suppose we're to believe that, similar to how when Barnabas used the I Ching his body went who knows where and his present day soul-self merged with his past body and soul-self, Eve's body went who knows where and Danielle's present day soul-self merged with her past body and soul-self. And apparently also like the I Ching, Nicholas' medallion took care of sorting everything out once Eve returned back to the present.
Though the real truth is probably that the show didn't think we should think about the logistics at all.  [snow_wink]

But the real reason I'm posting here is to say that I've finally posted new topics in the "Caption This! - 1796_2" and "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - 1796_2" boards.  [snow_smiley]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
I find it kind of amusing that there was an actress named Gloria Winters, who is remembered as Penny, the niece of Sky King.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 06:41:02 AM »
I'm confused about the book. Joshua wants to make sure future generations see a scrubbed version of the Collins' history (i.e., Barnabas going back to England instead of becoming a vampire), but isn't the book Vickie brought with her from the 1960s ALREADY a scrubbed account of that history? I mean, none of those untoward events were in the book anyway, were they?

Am I missing something here?

Time-traveling scenarios make my head hurt!   [ghost_huh]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 11:37:50 AM »
Interesting.