Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0621  (Read 818 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0621
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »
Robservations #621

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0621

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
Strange that Willie knew nothing about Angelique, let alone that she's the current vampire. Julia quickly fills him in, then they set off to find Barnabas.

Nicholas comes home very late after his date with Maggie--but I'm sure he didn't compromise her in any way. He finds Adam collapsed on the floor, apparently near death, and realizes that Julia was completely right.

Willie and Julia haven't found Barnabas. Tentatively, Willie reminds Julia that after Barn staked Tom Jennings, she was as good as new. Julia realizes that Angelique's coffin must be at the House by the Sea, so she sets off, a stake in one hand and her medical bag in the other.

Nicholas is even angrier when he sees that Angelique has swiped his magic mirror. Julia practically bursts in to save Adam. Nicholas tries to pretend he doesn't know anything about Angelique, but Julia says, I have no need to examine Adam. I’m familiar with what is wrong with him, and I have the treatment--whereupon she produces the stake. Nicholas laughingly pretends not to know anything about Angelique, but allows Julia to give Adam some stimulant injections, since he doesn’t have facilities for a transfusion. But while she’s giving Adam the injections, she points out acidly, Just because I’m doing this doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten the most effective cure for this condition.

Just as Adam begins to revive, so does Barnabas. Luckily Willie hears his faint calls for help.

Julia finishes working on Adam but acknowledges that this time Nicholas has defeated her. Nonetheless, she leaves the stake for Nicholas. A memento of your visit, he jokes, but she tells him, You had better use it if you want Adam to live.

When Willie gets Barnabas back to the Old House, he wants to take him straight upstairs. (We never do see the living Barnabas’s bedroom in the twentieth century; perhaps it’s the same one he died in long ago. But more likely it is the one his father used.) But Barnabas says he’ll sit in the drawing room and begs Willie to close the curtains. Willie tells Barnabas that Julia is at Nicholas Blair’s house. Barnabas exclaims guiltily, Angelique! Julia knows about Angelique? [Actually, he shouldn’t be able to name her, but then we’d be deprived of the ensuing fun!] Yes, yes I do, Barnabas, Julia answers as she walks in, sounding very much like a wife, just as Barnabas looks very much like a philandering husband caught in the act. She adds gently, But there will be no recriminations. You're alive. The best thing now will be to get you to Windcliff. You’ll be out of Angelique’s reach there. He protests, then moans, Why is the day so long? Julia orders Willie to go to Collinwood, making sure no one sees him, and use the phone in her room to call Windcliff and tell them to send an ambulance. Willie rushes out. She tells Barnabas, I will help you stay alive. She won’t find you there. If you stay here, Angelique will kill you.

Nicholas watches as Adam revives and decides he's had enough of Angelique's shenanigans. Carrying the stake and a mallet, Nicholas goes downstairs to Angelique’s coffin room. He places his hands on the coffin, but pauses before he opens it. You will feel no suffering, no pain, he says with hypocritical comfort (and even though the writers have faithfully followed Bram Stoker’s lead in that every vampire at Collinwood puts up quite a fuss when staked). You will cease to exist without ever knowing it. He opens the coffin….

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »
Willie not knowing (like Julia didn't) ties into the absence of anything Angelique related before 1795.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
I imagine we'll be spared the sight of Willie scaling the facade of Collinwood to enter Julia's room unseen.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
The opening was funny, with Julia rushing Willie to get dressed.   It all sounded so trivial and ordinary.... I LOLed.   Then after having rushed him, she stands around talking and talking, about what will happen if they don't find him in time!   

I want to hit them whenever characters say "WHY does such and such happen?  WHY?"  or "When will this crisis be over?  (Pause)   WHEN?!?"   I'd give anything to stop that last WHY? or WHEN? from coming out their mouths......

On my tape at least, there's planty of background noise behind the scenes at Nick's place.   While Nick and Adam talk, a radio seems to be playing.  Later in the ep, it sounds as if we might be hearing lines from a different scene.    Clever, Julia treating Adam to treat an unfindable Barnabas, and Julia is in her second straight ep in a row as nervy Julia, good for her and us.   

Back at home, nice look between Julia and Willie, as Barnabas says "Why are the days so long?"  (Longing for Ang while hating her and knowing he's about to be killed by her.)   Excellent idea, packing Barnabas off to Wyndcliffe, though I would think Ang could find him.   As long as Julia stays clever, filling the room with crosses and crates of stinking garlic and whatnot, all will be well, so let's assume she does that, despite her staff thinking she's around the bend.   

Wyndcliffe, as I see it, saves Barnabas personally AND dramatically as a character.  It does him and probably Mr. Frid himself a world of good, I think.   Remember Barnabas as he's been lately, but ever since Adam appeared really, and compare this to the Barnabas we see when he's released from Wyndcliffe.   The character is reinvigorated, strengthened, and has found his feet in his new life, and is ready to take on enemies.   I imagine J Frid was rethinking whether he even wanted to return, so weakened was his part, and the writers were figuring out what to do with him.   This was a pivotal period I think.

Yes, I really buy Nick sympathizing over having to stake Ang!  Though it could be part of his shameful humanization lately......   If Nick can "deny her her coffin", I would think he'd be able to destroy her in a far less hands-on way than a stake.... I mean, I'm sure the coffin denying wasn't going to be bluntly physical, like putting a Denver Boot on it or anything...

Didn't think of that dom...  they seem to have a lot of preposterous activity going on as long as they don't have to show it onscreen..... though it's more fun when they show it.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:02:10 AM »
The Snow White mirror has disappeared and Nick is upset. Julia and Adam pace back and forth through the same spot in the woods to find Barnabas. "I am an Authority on this particular disease." but is it one? Julia injects Adam and Barnabas perks up enough for Willie to find him. she then pulls out the big guns. 5The secret ambulance to Windcliff.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times