Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0616  (Read 753 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0616
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »
Robservations #616

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0616

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:43 PM »
Great work by JF in the opening scenes. Julia and Willie are horrified when they discover his secret and take him to the very room in the basement where he held Maggie prisoner so long ago. He pleads with them to let him go but they are relentless, and finally, he resigns himself in shame. Julia asks him to name the vampire--I know it's a woman, she says. Willie intercedes and begs Julia to let Barnabas rest.

At the cottage, Nicholas has been waiting for Maggie to return home. She apologizes for forgetting that he was coming to see her. I would have waited indefinitely, just to see you, he replies. He expresses crocodile sympathy for poor, dead Joe--and then Maggie shocks him by telling him that Joe is alive, though obviously deranged. He tried to murder the man who saved his life. Why did Joe do those things? she wonders. Poor fellow--he must have been delirious, Nicholas replies, adding  dryly, When a woman has a man in her power, there’s no telling what he’ll do. She insists on going to see Barnabas to make sure he’s all right, even though she says she’s through worrying about Joe. Of course Nicholas would much rather spend a quiet evening à deux, but he gallantly tells her, I am yours to command.

But at the Old House, Julia tells Maggie that Barnabas cannot be disturbed.

Willie hangs a cross on the inside of the cell door while Barnabas stares at him. Don’t look at me like that, Willie pleads. Say something! Anything! But Barnabas remains silent as the dogs howl far off. Willie tells Barnabas, I hear the dogs too. I know what you must be going through. I’ve got to keep you here, safe! As your master I cannot command you now, but I beg you. Barnabas, please don’t, Willie begs him: Believe me, if I could, I’d be happy to do your will, but I can’t. Barnabas tries again: Listen to them howling--but the true howling is in my blood, tearing at my heart. Please, Willie, please! No, Willie replies. (JF is fabulous here!)

Still unnerved by the dogs, Julia changes her story to say that Barnabas has gone out. Maggie is extremely annoyed at this obvious untruth.

Barnabas remembers that long ago Maggie (thanks to Sarah) found the loose brick that opens the secret passage. He asks Willie to get him some water. When Willie turns to leave, Barnabas hits him over the head with a convenient empty bottle, finds the brick, and opens the passageway.

Nicholas finally gets Maggie to leave when Julia assures her that Barnabas is getting “exactly the care he needs.”

As Barnabas prepares to climb out through the passageway, he turns to address the unconscious Willie: I said you were my friend. How I wish that were the truth. But I am past the point where friends are possible. I’m sorry, Willie.

A moment later, Julia returns to find the cell minus one occupant....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:13:23 PM »
Do Barn, Willie, and Jules know Nick is behind all of this yet?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Barnabas and Julia definitely are suspicious by now, I think.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:27:13 AM »
Smetimes they act as if they know almost everything about Nick, when they shouldn't.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 02:58:13 AM »
Nick's shocked look to learn that Joe is alive is great.  Why did he not use the mirror to watch?  Julia should be used to lying by now and come up with a better story. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times