Author Topic: Screw Sci-Fi---Let's Get DS On Soapnet  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Screw Sci-Fi---Let's Get DS On Soapnet
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2003, 02:59:09 PM »
I don't get Soapnet and given the sorry state of my area's cable provider, that's not likely to change ever. The Golf Channel? Sure. Some network devoted to professional bass fishing or surgery? You bet. Soapnet? Hell, no.

Same here, Luciaphil.  We've got the grungiest cable.  Not even the Cartoon Network!  But because the median age in my hometown is 98, there are ten-thousand "health" channels talking about hip replacements.  And unless SoapNet starts having programs about cholesterol build-up, there ain't no way we're gonna get it.  It looks like when DS leaves Sci-Fi (I'm surprised we get that), my viewing days will come to an end.

Gerard

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2003, 04:58:17 PM »
Bonnie Hammer is the anti-Christ!!   >:D

My distaste for the supposed "SciFi" channel has grown so strong over the past two years that I'd really love to see Dark Shadows go *anywhere* else...  I don't trust the shows I like on that channel...

As for cable, our cable company is just so awful I got tired of dealing with them...   So now I have *nothing*.  Gasp!  :)

I'm in a "who needs broadcast TV" mood these days, enjoying having nothing but books and DVDs and my computer...  And having a *real life*...  :)

But once local networks are available by satellite in my area (probably a year or two) then I'll probably be hooking up again...  Soapnet sounds great, and it sounds like they treat their shows (and the fans) with a measure of respect, unlike SciFi...

Offline darkshadowsrick

• "Lara Parkers' best photographer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 07:24:09 AM »
I have heard that supposedly there is someone at the Sci Fi network who doesn't like Dark Shadows much.  That's why it's preempted, and buried in bad time slots so much.  Also, look at the documentary they produced (Sci fi) about the show.  It was so bad, Dan Curtis Prods., or someone, threatened to sue, if it was marketed.  And 3 stars walked out of the Festival Banquet in Anaheim last year over it being shown.  The only 'good thing' I can say about Sci Fi, is at least they've shown Dark Shadows "most" of the last 11 years, except a period which they skipped.  I, too, think that Soap Net would be a good place for the show.  Why doesn't Soap Net show reruns of any CBS soaps?  I used to love Secret Storm, Edge of Night,  and have always loved Y & R, but they never show them.
darkshadowsrick
rick hatch

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 03:05:48 PM »
I have heard that supposedly there is someone at the Sci Fi network who doesn't like Dark Shadows much.

That's certainly a possibly. But I'll say this: the present management at Sci-Fi is much friendlier to DS than the past one was. The previous management's attitude toward DS and its fans ranged from condescending to outright insulting (I'll never forget that when one fan wrote to politely point out that they'd run Leviathans episodes #961-#964 out of sequence, he was basically told that he had hallucinated and that there was no way Sci-Fi had done such a thing!) And back in '97 after DS had ended its second run, when asked if DS would ever return to Sci-Fi's schedule, the "Creature From The Programming Department" (who held weekly chats with viewers) said (and I quote) "Not as long as I'm here!" and that DS is "awful" and was "an embarrassment." Well, management changed hands in '98 - and very soon afterward we learned that DS would return to the schedule in January '99.

Say what you will about how DS has been treated by Sci-Fi since January '99, but (pre-emptions aside - and DS isn't the only show that Sci-Fi has pre-empted for extended periods) Sci-Fi hasn't been derogatory of DS or openly hostile to its fans.

That having been said, though, it might be nice to see DS on a cable outlet like SoapNet that might support it to a much greater degree than Sci-Fi does.  [wink2]

Also, look at the documentary they produced (Sci fi) about the show.  It was so bad, Dan Curtis Prods., or someone, threatened to sue, if it was marketed.

Well, as someone who unwittingly participated in that documentary, it was my understanding that the outfit who produced it wasn't actually affiliated with Sci-Fi. They were producing a pilot for a series they were hoping to sell to Sci-Fi. However, when Sci-Fi saw how the end product had turned out, they decided not to run the show. If not for Jim Pierson having shown it at the 2002 Fest banquet, it may never have seen the light of day.
(Incidentally, a similar documentary that was produced by the same company and which focused on Battlestar Gallactica (or was it Babylon Five? - I forget already) and its fans was also shelved once Sci-Fi got a look at it.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 03:24:48 PM »
I still think SoapNet might be a better fit.

Over the years, Sci Fi has not-so-subtly shifted from programming that might interest a Baby Boomer audience to that which a younger audience would favor.

In the early years I thought I'd died and gone to "Old Horror Movies Heaven".  Now,I can't remember the last time a classic horror film like the original "The Mummy" showed up there....even during the month of October.  [6042]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2003, 03:55:13 PM »
which focused on Battlestar Gallactica (or was it Babylon Five? - I forget already)

Not that it's all that important now, but just for accuracy I looked it up and the show was about Battlestar Gallactica.  [winkg]

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2003, 05:11:04 PM »
In the early years I thought I'd died and gone to "Old Horror Movies Heaven".  Now,I can't remember the last time a classic horror film like the original "The Mummy" showed up there....even during the month of October.  [6042]

Before our local cable company put Sci-fi in its line-up, I filled out surveys and wrote letters asking for the Sci-fi channel.  I erroneously thought Sci-fi would show old science fiction and horror movies of the 50's.   While I have enjoyed having Dark Shadows, the channel has been a disappointment.
     I do not currently get Soapnet but discovered it is available through an upgrade in service.  If Soapnet becomes the next outlet to carry Dark Shadow,  I would be grateful if those who get Soapnet would keep us all informed. :-*
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2003, 05:59:47 PM »
     ........  I erroneously thought Sci-fi would show old science fiction and horror movies of the 50's.

Well, we can all now hold out hope for the new Horror Channel that's in the works.  Someone mentioned it here and it's also mentioned in next weeks TV Guide.  It will take a while, but if it's really devoted to horror movies, one would assume that there are enough hours in the day for them to make room for the oldies but goodies from the 30's, 40's and 50's.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2003, 08:39:17 PM »
I'm very twixt and tween on Sci-Fi's treatment of DS over the years. I probably still harbor resentment from back in 97 when they dropped it¢â‚¬¦ I remember vividly how rude SciFi [diablo] was to the fans at that time. But as MB pointed out, since it has been back things have been much better. I'm probably one of the few people who was actually happy about the 8:00 timeslot¢â‚¬¦ but that's only because I get to see 10 minutes before I leave for work in the morning... 15 minutes if I've gotten distracted by the tv and only at 8:16 realize  [shkdg] I'm going to be late for work.

As far as SoapNet goes, it's a channel I wish I had since my local ABC channel preempts General Hospital constantly with thrilling local news¢â‚¬¦ cat stuck up a tree - film at eleven - that kind of thing. It probably would make a good home for DS although their treatment of Port Charles wasn't always the best. It took a long time for them to give PC a decent primetime slot, plus I know that a lot of PC fans are very disappointed with SoapNet's decision not to reair the show since the cancellation.

I guess I've always assumed that the next logic home for DS, should SciFi choose to drop it again, would be SoapNet, however the thought of it being on the new horror channel is intriguing. Not that I'd actually get that channel either. Here we get tons of sports channels, but very little else¢â‚¬¦ plus our cable is SO expensive and we have to pay extra to get channels that are basic cable in a lot of other cities :(

grayson67 (Melissa)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2003, 09:13:47 PM »
Hi Melissa, great to see you again!

how are things?  Welcome to this Forum! You'll love it  There are lots of Grayson fans here, and we have some great specials. Did you get a gander at the photos of our gal's glamorous traveling ensemble for her trip to Mexico?  They're somewhere on this page.

xo  Steve (Gothick)

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2003, 07:10:11 AM »
Hi Steve!! It's great to see you too!! Thanks for the welcome and I must say I'm loving it here already. Yes, I did see the fabulous photos. As a matter of fact, I was looking at them during my lunch hour, to which my co-worker said "Who's that?" (What?!? Not everyone knows who Grayson Hall is?!? For shame!!) Clearly, I should have steered her in your general direction   ;)

grayson67 (Melissa - feeling so like I'm at a class reunion with all the nice welcome backs!)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2003, 04:14:50 PM »
Was watching I believe Wed. ep. today (Sun) of OLTL; they had what I assume a 'back shot' of Llanfair.

I was very familiar of another large house..... ;D

Patti
What a Woman!