Author Topic: Red Sox vs. Yankees  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:Red Sox vs. Yankees
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2003, 08:33:58 PM »
Jennifer, dear, you really don't want to know the things your posts do to my depraved little brain.

"Clinched the wild card" sounds an awful lot like "doing the wild thing" to this kid's ears.  And you really don't want to know (or maybe you do) the image I get from those big men going down 0-2!!! (I guess it leaves 69 in the dust???)

Hope your team wins big hon,

Steve (the bus driver informed us last night as we were approaching Manchester NH that the Sox were losing 3 to 1, I think--he was listening in on his little radio, I guess)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 04:02:53 AM »
Jennifer, dear, you really don't want to know the things your posts do to my depraved little brain.

"Clinched the wild card" sounds an awful lot like "doing the wild thing" to this kid's ears.  And you really don't want to know (or maybe you do) the image I get from those big men going down 0-2!!! (I guess it leaves 69 in the dust???)

Hope your team wins big hon,

Steve (the bus driver informed us last night as we were approaching Manchester NH that the Sox were losing 3 to 1, I think--he was listening in on his little radio, I guess)

Jennifer,

Only one more game to go.  Hang in there!!!

And, Steve,

Wow, Ted Williams must be spinning in his grave!

Bob the Bartender, who recalls what comedian (and lifetime Yankee fan) Robert Klein once had to say about the late, great Babe Ruth (rumored to have contracted every social disease in the book): "Yeah, the Babe's 'predilections' give new meaning to that official, Major League Baseball slogan, 'Baseball fever, catch it!'"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 04:09:52 AM »
Wow, Ted Williams must be spinning in his grave!

Don't you mean in his cryogenic canister?  [wink2]

(Actually, references to Mr. Williams are quite appropriate to this current DS storyline. Not to get too graphic, but Mr. Williams' body had to be beheaded before the freezing process took place. The whole business is a fairly large scandal around here.)

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2003, 04:41:44 AM »
Don't you mean in his cryogenic canister?  [wink2]

(Actually, references to Mr. Williams are quite appropriate to this current DS storyline. Not to get too graphic, but Mr. Williams' body had to be beheaded before the freezing process took place. The whole business is a fairly large scandal around here.)

Hmm, Ted Williams, Walt Disney, Judah Zachary, Michael Jackson (?).  Who's next, Ben Stokes or Eric Lang?

When the renowned Tom Carvel (founder of the Carvel Ice Cream Company and creator of those delicious Carvel Ice Cream Cakes), passed away, David Letterman quipped that the priest at Mr. Carvel's funeral had to keep his eulogy of the famed ice cream man very brief.  "You see, explained David Letterman, "they had to get the funeral service over in a hurry before Mr. Carvel's coffin started to melt right there in the main aisle of St. Patrick's Cathedral."

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 04:15:37 PM »
Wow Steve as i choke on my coffee with [lol2] you could become
a fan with a spin on the game i've never thought of before[lol2]
and Bob it would be so much fun for our Steve to be sitting
there as "color" man instead of Tim McCarver(duh) such fun
and i went to Game 4 and have haven't found my voice since!
hopefully they will bound and gag Bennifer so we don't have to listen to that dribble!

MB poor Ted and great job tieing in base ball and DS once again!
Thanks guys
jennifer
Cowboy UP and GO NOOOOOMAR!!!!!!!!!!
and ps tell me that Don Zimmer is sedated!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2003, 06:58:42 PM »
psst....Jennifer

Read today's calendar.

[size=10]GO SOX!!![/size]

And, for the record, I have always been a huge Yankee's fan; but, let's cheer for someone who hasn't made it in a long time.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2003, 07:53:00 PM »
Jennifer, thought of you this a.m. when the conductor emerged into the car at Harvard Square to make an official announcement about how the Sox need to "take down those Yankees" now.  He rather endearingly added that he's been married for 30 years and his wife is ready to kick him out of the house, but he's gonna watch that game anyway.  Even though this is Boston, Ice Queen Capital of the World, people were grinning and smiling at the old dear as he rambled on. His speech lasted at least 5 minutes.

I find it all quite confusing, since the paper headlines averred that if the team took yesterday's game, that would be it.  Will it EVER be over?

Hoping for respite and nepenthe (but I'll take what I can get),

Steve  PS. to the darling Mysterioso:  I had no idea T Williams corpse had to be decapitated before they tossed him in the freezer.  That's a rather gruesome detail!  but then cryogenics is gruesome, though I don't see why people find it any more upsetting than "regular" embalming, which I personally find a revolting practice.  natter natter (feel free to deep six this nonsense)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2003, 08:07:49 PM »
I had no idea T Williams corpse had to be decapitated before they tossed him in the freezer.  That's a rather gruesome detail!

That's probably only because you try to divest yourself of the trappings of contemporary life (and I honestly mean that in a good way - some days I only wish I was so disciplined). There was a time when you couldn't pick up a local newspaper or watch the evening news on any of the Boston stations without reading/seeing/hearing about the Williams family's battle over his remains, all in gloriously gruesome detail. Consider yourself very lucky that you managed to avoid most of it.

cryogenics is gruesome, though I don't see why people find it any more upsetting than "regular" embalming, which I personally find a revolting practice.

True.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 04:13:38 PM »
Jennifer,

What can I say, but that (soon-to-be-former Red Sox manager?) Grady Little left Pedro Martinez in there for much too long.  (I suspect that Grady Little and current Met manager "Autopilot" Art Howe, were separated at birth, sort of like Danny DeVito and Gov. Arnold in "Twins.")

Well, as a long suffering Met fan, I echo the lament of the world's most famous amateur-saxophonist and say, "I feel your pain."

Bob the Bartender, President of the Mephistopheles Fan Club.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2003, 12:16:07 AM »
thanks Bob   :'( :'( :'(
they do want Grady's head on a stick around here :my 6 year could have seen he was running out of gas! need to borrow Barnabas's I Ching Wands to go back to yesterday and have him and Jason G stuck in that traffic jam until 12 am!
 jennifer

one good thing Bennifer were seen here at Fenway together WOW
I can survive now with that news!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2003, 01:18:05 AM »
Jennifer, honey, I'm so sorry!  I'm ignorant of the details but heard the man in the laundromat complaining that the fabulous day (weatherwise) could have been better if the Sox had won.

My condolences,  Steve

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2003, 04:01:48 PM »
Jennifer, honey, I'm so sorry!  I'm ignorant of the details but heard the man in the laundromat complaining that the fabulous day (weatherwise) could have been better if the Sox had won.

My condolences,  Steve

thanks hon  :-*i am going out to enjoy this day applepicking!

jennifer :'(
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV