Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0605  (Read 2338 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0605
« on: December 07, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
Robservations #605

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0605

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
Julia tells Barnabas about her terrible dream. He doesn't believe it at first, even though he and everyone else were victims of the dream curse. But when the redoutable Julia is close to tears, finally he recognizes her distress and tries to comfort her. Despite her pleas, he refuses to change his plans and tells her that even now, Professor Stokes is casing the House by the Sea.

Let me offer you some sherry, Nicholas says, letting Stokes in for his first look at the House by the Sea. I think you’ll find it interesting. Stokes has a taste and agrees, Yes, it is-- interesting. (Later he changes his mind and pronounces it excellent. He is wearing the ring--gold with a large, flat, carved carnelian--that Count Petofi will use a long time from now to begin the mind switch.) He adds, And given that we barely know each other, how do you know that sherry is my drink? Nicholas blandly explains, Oh, Carolyn told me all about you. Stokes relays Barnabas's invitation to dinner and easily flatters Nicholas into showing him around the whole house.

Stokes is late returning to the Old House, but he explains, My dear Barnabas [I believe this is the first time he uses BC’s given name], the man may have supernatural powers, but he is also an insufferable egotist. I don’t think he believes that _ordinary_ people like us would dare to plot against him. I’ve seen the whole house from top to bottom, including the cellar. You don’t have to worry about the attic, since Nicholas uses it only for storage. I’ve made a rough floor plan of the house, he says, unfolding a sheet of paper. This is Nicholas’s bedroom--hideously overdecorated, he comments as he indicates it. He IDed Eve's room from the strong scene of perfume. The conspirators finalize their plans. While Nicholas watches everything via his magical mirror, Julia tells Barnabas, I hate to think of what will happen if we are _wrong_.

Nicholas arrives punctually at the Old House. The professor entertains him while Barnabas fetches the sherry. (Where's Willie?) Stokes tells Nicholas, My ancestor, Ben, worked for Joshua Collins as an indentured servant. When Barnabas comes in with the tray, he can’t help making a very private joke. He asks Nicholas, Is Professor Stokes is going on about his tiresome ancestor? The professor is the one to tell you about my family. He knows more about the Collinses than I do myself. Julia arrives, and Barnabas excuses himself.

It falls to Stokes to entertain Barnabas's guest. It's close to midnight when he embarks on the story of the Collins business interests. Meanwhile, Barnabas reaches Eve’s (also hideously overdecorated) room and checks the hypo one last time. The room is dark, but he sees a shape on the bed, covered with blankets. But when he pulls the blankets aside, all he finds is a dressmaker’s dummy and a bolster. He stares at it, stunned, but worse awaits him. To his horror, a familiar voice comes out of the darkness: Hello, Barnabas. He turns around. Angelique! he gasps. She smiles at him--but this time, her fangs are bared.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
I had no good notes to make on this one.   Barnabas is a befuddled, enfeebled character at this point.  Since Adam was dropped into his lap, when that project was supposed to solve all his problems, and then life became all about dealing with this one ridiculous mistake, he's been made into a sort of small, defeated person.  It's only after the current crisis and a chance to go away and rest for awhile away from Collinwood, that he regains himself and finds his way as a strong but human man.

Right now though, he's making others do his dirty work and moaning about it, and making very bad decisions.   What a time and personal state in which to decide to become as assassin. 

Great your noticing the ring DL, thanks!   Good remarks.  I wish I had more of a specific response to them.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
Thanks, Magnus.  [santa_smiley] I like your perceptive observations about Barnabas. He does seem to be just floundering around at this point.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
How does Nick not know that Barnabas has no phone nor lights considering he lived at Collinwood for a while.  Joshua built the Old House for Naomi in 1767 which is the first time I recall this fact. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »
I thought Naomi received the house as a wedding gift from Joshua's mother, which is why she was able to gift to Barn & Ange?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:04 AM »
If I remember, Joshua made over the house to Naomi, I've always thought as some kind of tax dodge. So she owned it free and clear, and that's how she was able to deed it over to Barnabas and Angelique.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:53:37 AM »
I'm going to have to get out the DVDs and check, but I always thought the ring Stokes wore was a "Harvard class ring" (I'll check Google in a moment and see if I can find a link to a good image of one).  I always figured it was Thayer David's own ring since he attended Harvard (same class or adjoining as Frank O'Hara and Edward Gorey).  From what I recall, Count Petofi's ring is more of a "knuckle duster" with what looks like a ruby but is almost certainly glass or paste.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 03:57:29 AM »
Good images of a 2009 Harvard class ring here:

http://www.cluehq.com/blog/2008/05/06/harvard-one-ring-unboxing/

I don't know whether the designs used in the 1940s were as elaborate as this--may have been more plain.

I don't believe Thayer actually graduated but I could be wrong about that...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 04:38:32 AM »
Joshua built the Old House for Naomi in 1767 which is the first time I recall this fact.

alwaydavid is correct in that this is the first and only time on the show that the background of the Old House is mentioned. In this ep Stokes tells Nicholas that Joshua built the Old House as a gift to his bride Naomi. (I've always taken that to mean it was a wedding gift. But who knows? Though the year would seem appropriate for that sort of circumstance.) When Naomi hands over the deed to Barnabas in Ep #395, she says the deed is in her name and she's giving it to Barnabas as a wedding present (so Joshua won't have the last word, which would be quite ironic if Joshua did indeed build the house for Naomi as a wedding present). She further explains that the house is hers to do with as she chooses.

The interesting thing about all that is, considering the Collins family had been in Collinsport since the 1600s, where did they live before the Old House was built?  [snow_huh]

I also love how during his first infamous visit to the Old House in Ep #475, Stokes describes the house as very early Greek Revival before they learned the true art of it. (Dishing out nothing but compliments in that scene.  [snow_cheesy])  And I should say so because the Greek Revival period in American architecture is considered to be 1830-1850.  [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:31:09 AM »
That's interesting MB.  In the original narrative as you know, Josette and Barnabas lived in the 1830s (actually, in the ORIGINAL narrative, Josette's surname was something like LaFreniere).  Presumably the Old House was built to replace--or considerably add onto--the original Collins homestead of the 17th century.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
Well of course the very first American house would have been some temporary shelter, and they'd have moved their way up to a mansion over a long period I guess...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
Plus the style of a 1600s house would have been very different than that of the Old House, which was pointed out back when we discussed what sort of architectural styles the '04 pilot might have gone with:

First-Period English Style (1600-1700)

• 1) Massive chimney
  • 2) Steeply pitched roof
  • 3) One-room depth
  • 4) No eave overhang or cornice detailing
  • 5) Small casement windows with many small panes
One of the possible problems with this design, though, is feature #3 - the one room depth. However, some examples, like the Iron Works House in Saugus, Massachesetts (an almost perfect location when one considers that Maine was still part of MA during this period), had additions built after the intial construction, making those examples large enough to encompass what most of us would envision as the Old House:

The back facade

But its biggest problem is VERY low ceilings. Check out this picture of the the second story chamber (which would have been used for receiving honored guests). Would we really want to have Barnabas living in an environment such as this? I wouldn't.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »
Thanks, MB.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
Wow, those drawings are great. Thanks so much, MB!

Interesting that that second-floor room would be for receiving honored guests. I wonder if that's where they got the idea for the "upstairs parlor" in PT.