Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0600  (Read 861 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0600
« on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
Robservations #600

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0600

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 08:35:16 PM »
Today Julia is wearing a pretty gray jacket with wide lapels and a cream-colored blouse with a neck ruffle and bow, with a gray plaid skirt. For once, Stokes is still wearing the same shirt and necktie as we last saw him.

Priceless scenes at the House by the Sea, first with Eve and Adam. After she orders him off to bed, Nicholas arrives. The part when Eve comes on to Nicholas is one of the best things in the whole series.

Stokes arrives at the Old House and reports that Adam is no longer in the place where he'd been hiding. But Stokes doesn't say where that was, nor does he mention David. Stokes agrees that Nicholas must be behind recent events but is more concerned with the whereabouts of Leona Eltridge/Danielle Roget. At the mention of that name, once again a mysterious gust of wind pushes the doors open and rattles the chandelier (we get a good view of its structure), this time with thunder and lightning obbligato. The wind also happens to knock a book off the bookcase atop the writing desk in the corner. When the wind dies down, Stokes picks it up and reveals it to be a memoir of the French Revolution by one Philippe Cordier. [It was published in 1798, but how it got to the Old House when no one lived there after Barnabas’s “demise” and Angelique’s disappearance in 1796 is one of those great unsolved mysteries of Collinwood, I guess. Perhaps the antique book collection of some later Collins was consigned to the Old House for storage.]

Well, if your front door suddenly flew open, your chandelier swayed, and your books started flying off the shelves, what would you do? Apparently the writers forgot that Barnabas and Julia know all about how to conduct a séance because Stokes has to explain it to them (of all people) all over again.

For the one and only time, Barnabas becomes the medium as Philippe Cordier speaks through him, vowing to kill his Hated Rival. In the House by the Sea, Nicholas is sitting with Eve and Adam, who at least appear to have reconciled their differences a little. (Nicholas and Eve get to sit in chairs, but Adam must squat on the floor beside her.) Suddenly Eve senses a Presence. She starts to her feet, screaming, Someone in this house will die tonight! She runs to the stairs. But just as Adam is about to follow her, he clutches his throat as if he is choking.

At the Old House and at the same moment, Barnabas clutches his throat as if he is choking. Julia and Stokes realize that Philippe Cordier is making good on his threat....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »
Well going away forever is only as far as the. House by the sea not far from Collinwood.  Eve is hostile to Adam and can't bear the sight of him. he is ugly stupid and boring.  One day together and it's not going so well with the made to order bride. The end with both the men chocking and Barnabas saying Adam is being killed is dramatic and will Timothy ask how Barnabas knows this?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »
Good comments, DL.  you sound very caught up in it, considering you can't actually see the ep's right now.   It's an easy ep to be caught up in.   Eve coming on to Nick is nice to see, and inevitable, but I think that even if his plans didn't have to be otherwise, he's still learned that anyone as evil as he is is a bit too much trouble down the road...  maybe that's why he seeks out an "innocent" like Maggie.

Good point about the publishing date of Cordier's book.  Thanks for paying attention.   Nice catch about Eve and Nick snagging the seats and Adam crouching on the floor... that sums things up doesn't it?

This is a very good episode.  A lot happens.  (Maybe hundredth ep's are big events... another was ep #1 of 1897.)  It moves.  We touch on a lot of different plot points and get new information.   Eve is especially good.   She's fuming and boiling with ego and contempt, and the whole Adam-Eve non-relationship, who and what she is, it's all established completely and very well in this one episode.  The reason we're so frustrated and weary of it is that they repeated and kept re-establishing the Adam-Eve problem over and over for weeks, when it was all said and done with in these 21 minutes.

Eve: "Where did you come from?"  "Never mind."- Nick.  I love that.   You just know he's just popped into the room from nowhere just off camera, at all those moments...

How long did Phillipe Cordier have to wait for someone to utter "Danielle Roget" so he could react, I wonder?   What's a ghost do to twiddle his thumbs?   By the way, I loved Eve twiddling her fingers out of boredom from being in Adam's presence....   Good idea of Elliot's, wait till the disturbance ends to touch the book, because the ghost might open it to a particular page.   

I love that shot of the Moon over the Old House, AND the music accompanying it this time, as they start the seance.  I need a way to refer easily to this music, but can't think of adjectives, certainly not any title.   Anyway, it's so atmospheric that no matter how bad an episode, that music tugs at me to feel something from it.   It has the feel of having stayed up all night, nerves frayed, waiting for an awful crisis to come to a head.  That must be what they use it for.

My pitifully basic French tells me that Cordier's saying "It's me, I come".   Nothing more than that.   I can never remember what P Cordier's deal is... so he's jealous of Adam!   The deceased moron!  I thought he was going to warn us about Eve!   [spoiler]Can't he pick up that Peter Bradford's in the vicinity?  Get him![/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:12 PM »
Love your comments as always, MT. The spoiler is hilarious!

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:28 AM »
A couple of things stand out about this episode.

One is just how important good writing is to the success of DS, and this one has it in spades. Lots of complex relationship stuff with all sorts of seething emotions just barely bubbling to the surface before being submerged again.

Second is just how blessed DS was in its actors. Everyone here really understands the roles they're playing, and, in a story line that could have easily provided endless opportunities for hamming it up and camping around, the actors keep it relateable by underplaying beautifully (especially Robert Rodan and Humbert Allen Astredo).

Finally, it struck me while watching this episode, just how far we've drifted from the original vision of DS. No Elizabeth, no Roger, no Carolyn, no Vicki, no David, no Maggie, no Joe. They're all still in the series, of course, but they have, for the most part, been shunted far from the center of the action.

Excellent episode.