Author Topic: The Head That Lived  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Head That Lived
« on: September 25, 2003, 05:17:35 AM »
I was very surprised when I got home last night and began watching my tape, to see that "The Head" was introduced so early into the 1840 storyline.

Several people have been talking about 1840 being a retread of 1897.  Although I don't think that's the case at all, I think I was being subtly influenced enough to think that "The Head" came up much later in the storyline, as an afterthough or extension to the original story, similar to the Hand of Petofi in 1897.

The fact that the Head appears within the first few episodes of 1840 seems to answer a question in the Ben and Daniel thread.  Raholt wonders if the idea of Judah Zachary's malevolent influence came about much later than the original plan for the storyline.  Since the Head was introduced so early, though, it would seem that the Head was part of the original story concept.  The significance of its role is only gradually revealed, but the writers/concept people must have known who it was and what role it was to play in the story.  It's too prominent in the story already for the reasons behind it to have been developed later, IMO.

This is another reason for my admiration for this storyline -- the idea of Judah Zachary as the true power behind events affecting 1995, 1970, 1840, and late 1600s, certainly distinguishes this storyline as highly original and distinctly unique.  I have trouble seeing how some can dismiss 1840 as a retread of 1897.  Yes, there are variations on some familiar themes (ghosts that haunt children) and characters (another Trask), but these are variations like in a symphony, not blatant rehashes of old plots.  Looked at superficially, one could say that Jane Austen kept re-writing the same novel.  Examined more closely, one sees familiar themes and character roles, but with unique and individual characteristics that make everything new.  It's the same way with DS's many storylines -- just as a movement in a symphony makes variations on the theme from a previous movement but in a different key or developing it into something new.

Here's my take on the Head.  It's first appearance was creepy, skin-crawling.  Unless I'm inordinantly squeamish, I'm sure many viewers have the same reaction.  For children, it would hold a macabre fascination, I imagine.  A decapitated head is the stuff of nightmares.  And a head that proves to be alive is one of those horrors that I think live deep within our subconscious, similar to ancient fears that the dead could be reanimated and rise from their coffins at night.

I suggest that's the case because decapitated heads that are able to speak or have some power are found in various world mythologies.  For example, the Norse god Mimir was killed by decapitation but the great Odin recited a magic spell that restored the head to life and consulted it for occult secrets.  Decapitation for magical rites is thought to have occurred in ancient Scandinavia (e.g., decapitated heads found in bogs) and throughout the ancient world, including India and Greece.  In Celtic myth, the decaptiated head of Bran had magical powers.  Again, there is archaeological evidence for a cult of the head throughout the ancient Celtic realm.

I'm not familiar with Oriental mythology but would be interested to know if similar myths appear there, which might explain why Desmond was said to have bought the head in the Orient.

My thought is not that the DS writers necessarily had steeped themselves in Nordic or Ancient British mythology, although some one among them might well have read a book on the subject.  The other possibility as I see it is that the concept of a head that lives is an archetype residing in the unconscious that the writers may have tapped into.

Another example of why the 1840 storyline has such an impact and resonance for me.

-Vlad

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:The Head That Lived
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 01:39:18 AM »
I forgot to mention that the special effects people did an excellent job with the wax head.  I remember sometimes not knowing for sure if it was the copy or the real head ... though the wax head (which we saw the first day) was probably creepier.  Quite an improvement over the bat and the Hand of Count Petofi ... does anyone know who made it?

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 09:13:53 PM »
I guess everyone agrees with my ideas here since nobody has challenged them  ;) , so, for the sake of discussion, I think I'll provide a counterview and puncture my own balloon  ;D

Hey, Vlad, cool ideas, man, but maybe the DS writers/conceptualists weren't quite so deep as you give them credit for ... have you ever seen "The Thing That Wouldn't Die"?!?!?  It's about this severed head that's dug up on a ranch that begins to control people, driving them to murder and malicious acts. And this movie is, like, so bad, the writers couldn't possibly be capable of such DEEP THOUGHTS ! >:D

Well, I'm glad you brought that up, because Luciaphil called attention to this movie a while back.  What I would say is, true, there are similarities, and it's possible someone on the DS staff was recalling the movie.  But it still all fits in with what I said about archetypes, severed head cults, etc., that go back to ancient times.  Even a Bad B, B-movie (or the story it was based on) could be drawing on this mythology.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 11:09:49 PM »
     I saw that movie on Mystery Science Theatre.  It was hilarious in that format.  At one point,  the head's lips are moving and the MTS3 host said "Bama Rama Lama Ding Dong" which seemed to fit what the mouth was doing.  Thank goodness, "The Head" in these DS episodes kept it's mouth shut. 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 06:32:31 AM »
     I saw that movie on Mystery Science Theatre.  It was hilarious in that format.

MST3K is also the place where I saw the movie.  The comedic commentary raises it from a B-movie to a B+.  ;D  Check the Sci-Fi episode guide--it's worth seeing the next time it airs.

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 06:03:52 PM »
Shouts out to those who remember "The Thing that Couldn't Die!"  It's SO funny to watch now, but it scared the bejesus out of me as a little kid.

In an attempt to respond to Vlad's comments, I too was amazed that the head showed up so early in the 1840 storyline.  This is my second viewing of 1840, and it's hard to believe all this madness with Judah Zachery has already started.

As to how much of this the writers had planned, it's so hard to tell.  Part of me agrees - maybe they had this whole thing intricately plotted out months in advance.  The events of 1840 are pretty convoluted, and it's hard to believe there wasn't an overall vision.  Perhaps DC or other persons in authority asked for a story that lent some insight into why the Collins family kept having these supernatural problems every generation.

Even PT1841 goes in this direction.  Without going heavily into spoilers, much of the story centers on an ancient curse against the family.  Later in the current storyline, we will discover that such a curse also drives most of the action in 1840.  To me, this hints at an overarching plan by the ptb.

That being said, there are several inconsistencies (i.e. family history) that I don't think can be readily explained.  So much happens, and it's happening so fast that it seems like someone was telling the writers to speed up the action and they simply lost track of what had come before in effort to keep up the breakneck pacing of 1840.

The disembodied head itself taps into a primal place of fear.  It's the kind of thing that haunts our nightmares as children.  That's why "The Thing that Couldn't Die" ruined me so much as a kid.  I definitely see the macabre fascination though, as back then I was also quite taken with the story of Anne Boleyn's sad fate and her headless ghost.

The idea of of a living/dead severed head (that rhymes!) is horrifying.  You've done your research, Vlad.  There's obviously some tradition of severed heads in the horror/fantasy genre, as well as in mythology.

Although I'm not familiar with the Norse or other myths you referenced, I do remember that in one of the old Oz books (and the 1985 movie "Return to Oz") there was a similar motif, involving an evil witch who had a whole cabinet full of severed heads that she kept in jars.  She would change her own head with the ones in the jars, in the way other women change their hats.  I read the Oz books when I was 10 or 11 and this is the image that stayed with me most.

An aside - doesn't Judah's head eventually have to go with a body other than his own?  Do I sense the shade of the Oz story here?

And haven't some of us heard stories about victims of the Reign of Terror in revolution-era France who, once guillotined, had lips or eyes that kept moving for some time after death?  Also I remember reading that when they executed Mary, Queen of Scots, her lips moved in prayer for maybe ten minutes after her head was stricken from her body.  Can her conciousness have survived that long too?  A chilling image.  One would never want to be that living/dead disembodied head, but to be left alone in the dark with it?

Anyway, there are just some mental pictures so frightening and macabre that they become objects of fascination to us -  archetypes of horror, if you will.  Add to this disturbing symbol the idea that a living dead severed head could force people to do it's bidding, and well...you pretty much have as chilling a story as ever there was.

Considering that "The Thing that Couldn't Die" (1958) and another cult fave "The Head that Wouldn't Die" (1962) had been fairly recently released, the writers may have had this idea about a menacing severed head reinforced many times.  Who knows, perhaps one of the writers heard about the Norse or Celtic myths, read the Oz books in childhood, learned about the Reign of Terror in history class, and then saw one or both of the aforementioned mentioned movies and just couldn't shake the scare that a mean old animated severed head can put into you.  And voila, Judah Zachery!

Kudos to Dark Shadows that they tried this, and that they ultimately pulled it all off pretty well!  Yeah, things got a little muddled along the way, but the actors (for the most part) rose to the occasion, investing this story with fever-pitched performances that really put the grand back into Grand Guignol.  For my money, it's one of the best pure horror storylines of the whole series.

And oh yeah, that wax head is excellent!  Sometimes the only way I can tell the difference is that the glass on the box fogs up when it's the real deal.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 04:17:37 AM »
Your post amazes me, CassandraBlair!

Considering that I am a great fan of L. Frank Baum's Oz books, it's surprising I didn't think about Oz in relation to the head of Juday Zachary.  It's hard to say whether any of the DS writers was specifically recalling the Oz books, but Baum definitely seems to have been tapping into the same fascination with decapitated but living heads that we're talking about.

In addition to having one of the widest arrays of charming and bizarre characters this side of Dickens, one of the more disturbing oddities in the Oz books are the many chopping-ups and decapitations that occur.  For example, the Tin Woodman was an ordinary woodchopper whose ax was enchanted by a bad witch he had angered.  Whenever he used the ax it would chop off another limb, which the good woodman was able to replace with a part he made from tin.  There is a very strange scene in one of the later books of the series where the all-tin woodman goes back to his former home and finds his original head in a cabinet; he proceeds to have a friendly conversation with his former, now disembodied head!

What you are remembering is another example, from the third book in the series, Ozma of Oz.  The character in question is Princess Langwidire, who keeps a collection of heads in a lovely cabinet off her bed chamber.

"Each head was in a separate cupboard lined with velvet. The cupboards ran all around the sides of the dressing-room, and had elaborately carved doors with gold numbers on the outside and jeweled-framed mirrors on the inside of them."

Princess Langwidire likes to put on a different head every day.  (In the Disney live-action movie Return to Oz, which is probably closer to the original Oz books than the MGM movie, this character was changed to Mombi, who is a completely different character in Baum.)  I remember the description of the lovely heads in the cabinet giving me a slightly "icky" feeling when I read the books as a child.  But children do tend to have more of a fascination with these things than a repulsion, I think.

"When the Princess got out of her crystal bed in the morning she went to her cabinet, opened one of the velvet-lined cupboards, and took the head it contained from its golden shelf. Then, by the aid of the mirror inside the open door, she put on the head--as neat and straight as could be--and afterward called her maids to robe her for the day. She always wore a simple white costume, that suited all the heads. For, being able to change her face whenever she liked, the Princess had no interest in wearing a variety of gowns, as have other ladies who are compelled to wear the same face constantly."

I, too, remember being fascinated by the story of Anne Boleyn, and I remember searching my mother's copy of Lady Antonia Fraser's biography of Mary Queen of Scotts for the part where she gets her head cut off.  I remember the combination of fascination and horror I felt reading the description of Mary's lips continuing to move after her beheading, and how her eyes swiveled around at the crowd when her head was held up.

For my money, it's one of the best pure horror storylines of the whole series.

Strange that I like this storyline so much, perhaps the best of all of DS's storylines, considering that I don't care that much for horror.

I think it's because there's so much more to the storyline than just horror, as some of us have been writing about -- the interesting, rounded characters; the historical period, the costumes, and sets; the acting; the maze-like plot; and these underlying motifs.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 04:21:45 AM »
I neglected to mention the most obvious disembodied head from the Oz books, which made it intact (so to speak) into the 1939 movie:  the wizard appears to Dorothy as a great, disembodied head, and instructs her to kill (kill!) the Wicked Witch of the West.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 02:20:21 PM »
That's right, Vlad!  Seems like everywhere you turn in the Oz mythos, there's a disembodied head up to no good!

Never realized 'til this thread what an archetype the disembodied head was in the horror/fantasy genre.  It's food for thought.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 08:02:26 PM »
Hello,
      I agree with many of the ideas you have going here. I have often thought the writers had seen "The Thing that Could Not Die" and used elements as a touchstone. At the point they are at now, it's also not hard to think of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" with its Headless Horseman as an influnce too. Even moreso, since North Tarrytown where the story is set, which has renamed itself Sleepy Hollow, is next door to the locations of the films as well as where the Old House was.

[spoiler]
    I think that the evil influnce of Judah Zachary is not only behind the problems of 1970/1995/1840, but possibly even part of 1795 and 1897 in retrospect. If one concedes that Judah's curse on the Collins family affects this story, could it not have also been the reason the family had such supernatural misfortune in 1795, 1897 and 1966-1970? Especially since we learn that not only was Amadeus but Angelique/Valerie/Miranda was so closely involved. One of the reasons I like 1840 so much is that it does tie together so many of the themes throughout the series bringing us to a new conclusion.
   For sheer visceral thrills, the Headless Body and the Head were very scary to me as a kid, and I also found the idea of Quentin's stairway through time fascinating. I wish we got a little more into the alchemy of how it was supposed to work.
    While I always feel a little sad when I reach this part of the story, I enjoy the whole of 1840 itself, just sad that we lose our original characters, especially since we see only Elizabeth upon their return. I must say though that Stokes line about the refrigerator being full of food, being a good sign takes some of the sting away.
    Last thoughts too, its a very romatic storyline. Not only with the triangles, and switches, but if you think about it, Quentin and Daphne have perhaps the best happy ending of all. Likewise, Virginia Vestoff is one of the most underrated performers on DS. From listening to David Selby speak of her at conventions, I get a sense he and others held a great respect for her talent.
[/spoiler]

Michael aka CyrusL

A Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 01:23:42 AM »
Vlad - you have some good thoughts here and I think there is validity in both your points and your counter points. The similarities between 1897 and 1840 are no doubt deliberate. The 1897 story arc was the most successful of the show - or at least, took place while the show was enjoying its greatest success on the air. It would have been an obvious move to try and duplicate that success as much as possible.

I've often felt 1840 was more of a "cleaned up" version of 1897, which tended to get re-written on the fly to accomodate lengthening the timeline or the departures of vacationing actors. The most unfortunate thing about 1840 is that it ends so abruptly, seemingly to accomodate Jonathan's Frid's request to play another character. This is one storyline that should have been allowed to be explored a bit longer.

And I agree about the great job the special effects team did on the wax head. Along with the old-age makeup used on Frid and Parker it's one of their better efforts - I agree, a far cry from rubber bats and that big fake spider. :D

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 05:34:10 AM »
I thought of the "Headless Horseman" connection today, too, Cryus L., though the comparison had evaded me during my previous viewing of 1840.  I'm glad you brought it up as I think this connection adds a little class to the current goings-on, which otherwise do appear a bit silly.  I didn't know about the Sleepy Hollow - Tarrytown connection, but that certainly reinforces your theory.

There's much "depth" behind the whole mask business too, but will save that for later when DS gets back on schedule -- and I'll have more time, too.

-Vlad

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 08:17:27 AM »
I was laughing during the "body" scenes, though.  It was one thing when Leticia was talking to the Head - it at least has eyes, ears, etc. and obviously is capable of controlling people.  But, when she was with the body and was talking to It, and It apparently heard and understood - it really was funny.

By the way, how did Leticia know how to find this place - it's apparently the same place that the body was originally buried, but she didn't know about it.  I suppose the Head could have learned about it from Desmond and told her, but it still seems a bit far-fetched.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 01:41:46 PM »
But, when she was with the body and was talking to It, and It apparently heard and understood - it really was funny.

I've always assumed that the body understood in some psychic way apart from the five "normal" senses.

I suppose the Head could have learned about it from Desmond and told her, but it still seems a bit far-fetched.

Here I just assumed that the head instinctively knew where its body was and communicated that knowledge to Leticia while she had it hidden in her room.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2003, 08:17:12 AM »
Here I just assumed that the head instinctively knew where its body was and communicated that knowledge to Leticia while she had it hidden in her room.

In that case Desmond wouldn't have had to find the old man (I forget his name) who had had the Head a long time before and who died in Desmond's room.  The Head clearly didn't know where the body was and was using Desmond to find it.
Josette