Author Topic: #1121/1122: Robservations 09/25/03: A Sticky Domestic Situation  (Read 1247 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1121/1122: Robservations 09/25/03: A Sticky Domestic Situation
« on: September 24, 2003, 10:29:57 AM »
1121 - Samantha is quite stunned to see her not-quite-dead hubby walk through the door.  It turns out Tad is all right, too, but hearing this unexpected news sends Samantha running upstairs, ordering Gerard to "Tell him!"  Tell me yourself, Quentin calls after the fleeing woman.  Listen, tries Gerard.  Oh, so that's how you look forward to my homecoming! shouts Quentin after his retreating wife.  She thought you were dead, explains Gerard, so did we all--when the boat docked here, I came here as soon as I could.  My friend, says Quentin.  I thought you and Tad had been lost in that storm, says Gerard, I didn't want to send a stranger here, I was afraid, so I thought I should come myself.  Put out by the implications, Quentin says, "And so she has been very happy."  No, she grieved, insists Gerard.  You call that grief? asks Quentin sarcastically--I understand your coming to help, and I appreciate it very much.  How did you escape the sea? asks Gerard.  I'll tell you--later, promises Quentin, and starts to go upstairs.
Wait, says Gerard, there's something else you don't know.  Out with it, man, says Quentin.  It's hard to explain, says Gerard.  Come on, speak up, urges Quentin.  Samantha and I were married this afternoon, reveals Gerard.  Quentin is silent, and Gerard repeats the news, asking if he didn't hear what he said.  Quentin bursts into wild laughter, then runs upstairs, Gerard calling after him in disbelief.  "It has become a comedy!" roars a chuckling Quentin on the landing--"I thought when the storm came, it would all end up into a great tragedy, but no, fooled again--congratulations!"  And he goes through the door to the upstairs bedrooms, laughing.

Samantha meets Quentin in the hallway and asks where Tad is, accusing him of lying to her--something's happened!  He's in Boston, he assures her.  What's he doing there? demands Samantha, her voice rising with hysteria, why didn't you bring him with you--something's happened.  Quentin orders her to listen to him, and says Tad just has a fever which he got in Brazil, and it just keeps recurring, but he's all right.  You left him in a hospital--why did you leave him in a hospital? rails Sam.  I didn't leave him in a hospital, and he's not alone, says Quentin, he's with Luke Simms, a man who saved our lives practically everyday--believe me, honest, he's all right.  She goes into her bedroom and he follows her in.  You must hate me, she says.  He denies it.  Don't pretend, she says.  I never pretend, he says--all you did was think I was dead--and I very nearly was.  I can't believe it, why didn't you write? She asks.  I did, from Brazil, Chili--if the letters didn't get here, you can blame the towns I was passing through, he says.  There must have been some way to let us know, she says.  Not the way I was traveling, he says, no money, no friends--all I could do was try to get through everyday, get enough food for Tad and myself, that's all--there was this one night--I concentrated very hard and tried to reach you--I thought I did--I thought I could make you understand my thoughts.  You always fall back on the occult, says Samantha.  I thought I had reached you, he insists, that you knew--I wanted to believe that so very much
--oh, what are we doing, standing here talking like this?  What else can we do now? she asks.  There's so much you've got to tell me, says Quentin.  So very much, she agrees.  Are you ready to talk about us? he asks.  Are you? she counters.  He looks guilty, then asks, "How's Father?"  She asks him what she's going to do--tell her!  You tell me, he says, because you're the one who's going to have to make the decision.  She looks at him, uncertain.

I have to decide? she asks.  You married Gerard, points out Quentin, you must have a feeling for him.  But that doesn't mean I don't have a feeling for you, she says.  I know that, he says softly.  MY decision...she says.  He reminds her she's made a lot of decisions in their marriage.  So have you, she says accusingly--to stay in that room in the basement with all those experiments.  While you coddled our son! Accuses Quentin.  Coddled him?--if I'd coddled him, says Sam, he wouldn't have gone with you!  That time I won! He says.  And look at the result, just LOOK at it! she points out.  Their voices are rising, growing angrier.  Oh, I'm sorry, says Samantha, turning away.  Quentin asks her to believe him, he wants what is best for her, but he certainly can't make the decision for her--consider their marriage--obviously, she has some bitterness.  So do you, she says.  Your decision depends on whether you feel like starting over with me or starting with him, says Quentin--he's a good man, he's been a very good friend.  Let him speak for himself, says Samantha, the way I want you to do.  Quentin looks at her and says, my dear, just what do you want me to say.  Tell me that you love me, she says.  You are the mother of my son, he says (nice way to sidestep, Quentin), I chose you--I love you (but he doesn't sound sincere).  Of course, she says--love for you is something I do not understand.  Love is a word that is very much misused, says Quentin.  Not in this house, she says bitterly.  Quentin says he doesn't understand her--he's giving her the chance to make her own decision about her own destiny--that should prove to you that I do have some feeling for you--you always want brute force, and when you get it, you're always unhappy.  Don't explain me to myself! she cries.  Someone needs to, says Quentin.  Samantha begins taking clothing out of her top dresser drawer.  So you're leaving? He asks.  I'm going to Boston to be with Tad, she says.  Postponing the decision, he says.  I can think of no one but Tad, she says.  If you are going to leave, says Quentin, I think it's safer for you to start in the morning.  No, she says, tonight, I must go tonight.  All right, he says, I'll get you a carriage, and go see Father.  You can't, insists Sam, he's not well, worse than he was--they had to keep him up in the tower room--he seems all right, then suddenly goes mad--his heart is worse, he's only recently gotten used to the fact that you're dead--if he sees you now.  Quentin says that Ben Stokes will help him with him, and starts to leave, but Samantha calls his name sharply, stopping him, telling him so much has happened that he doesn't know--Ben Stokes killed himself.  Quentin is stunned.

Trask Chapel - Mournful music plays as Barnabas sadly stands waiting.  Trask comes out and asks him if he may be of service.  Barnabas says he came to view the body of Ben Stokes.  There is no viewing of the bodies after dusk, says Trask--it is a rule (thus, no vampires welcome).  Barnabas says one that must be broken--it must be, he has no other time to come.  Trask asks him to please lower his voice, they are conducting a special service for another dear departed this evening--the services for Ben Stokes will be at four o'clock tomorrow.  Barnabas tells him he will be out of town--he must see him now.  Are you a relative? asks Trask.  Barnabas explains who he is, which startles Trask, who says he's waited a long time to meet him--"My name is Trask, is that familiar to you?"  Barnabas' face takes on a look of irony and he asks if it should be.  Your father, Barnabas Collins, knew my late father, the Reverend Trask, says Lamar--in 1796--my father was an emissary of the Almighty, sent to strike the cloven hoof from this poor, wretched village.  Was he successful? asks Barnabas--I don't think my father ever thought of Collinsport as being particularly sinful.  (A flagrant lie, Barnabas!)   Indeed, sir, he did not, says Trask, I'm afraid, sir, your father was blind to the devil's work (doubtful)--the Reverend Trask was a martyr to his cause--he disappeared and only the Almighty knows where his bones rest--but someday, I shall find out.  Be that as it may, says Barn, I want to see Ben Stokes--you must know he was a faithful friend to my father--now, take me to him at once.  I will show you more courtesy, says Trask, than your father ever showed mine, sir (sounds like fightin' words to me).  He opens some door and shows Barnabas into the room where Ben's flower-covered coffin rests.  "Dear friend, says Barnabas, I can't believe you would have killed yourself."  There is no doubt of that, says Trask.  Isn't there? asks Barnabas.  In all my days of preparing souls to meet their maker, I have never seen anything like it, says Trask--it was as if he tried to cut off his own head!--the devil spoke to him in a loud voice.  He wouldn't have listened, says Barnabas proudly (I loved that; especially since Ben faced down the devil in the form of Angelique more than once, and Barnabas himself, after he became a vampire).  You seem to know him so well, says Trask, for one who has been in the village a short time.  My father often spoke of him, says Barn.  Evidently, says Trask, but you may cease your doubts about his death--I was brought to the body the night it lay in the woods--the knife was still in his hand.  Who discovered the body? asks Barn.  A certain Gerard Stiles, says Trask--why of course, you must know him.  Yes, indeed I do, says Barnabas.  A most earnest and heroic young man, pronounces Trask, although I must admit to a certain disappointment in him.  Oh, why? asks Barnabas.  I am not given to gossip, says Trask.
I'm sure of that, says Barnabas, but please give me your opinion of why you'd say that.  Trask points out that it's not for him to judge a fellow mortal--he leaves that to a higher authority (he gestures to heaven).  And Quite rightly, say Barnabas.  The Almighty works in mysterious ways, intones Trask, perhaps this is one of them--although it does seem a bit callous for him to discover this body and marry in the same afternoon.

Drawing room, Collinwood - Gerard assures Samantha she is quite right to go to Boston to be with her son.  Am I? she asks, oh Gerard, I want someone to tell me what to do.  She pulls her hand out of from his.  No, he says, let me touch you.  Please, she says.  I have the right, he says, holding her shoulders--the right?--that's not what I wanted to say, he adds.  He moves away from her and says he will have their marriage annulled--why can't I even say that with conviction?--because you don't want to hear how I feel?  I know how I want you to feel, she says.  Trapped, in a cage, unable to move! He says viciously
--this afternoon, this evening, for the first time in my life, I felt my love and yours--what happened to those psychic--why didn't I have a premonition that through that door, the one thing that would ruin my life and everything I wanted would come?--finished!  She looks out the window, crying.  He goes to her and begs her not to cry--he can't bear it when she cries.  Gerard, she says, someone's watching us!  Who is it? he asks, looking out into the darkness.

Gerard closes the window and asks if she's sure she saw someone.  She thought so.  A man or a woman? He asks, but she isn't sure--she puts her hands on his shoulders, then drops them, insisting she must pack.  Yes, he agrees, following her through the foyer, and you must let me see you before you leave.  I can think of no one but Tad, she says, hurrying upstairs.  Gerard chews the inside of his cheek.  Barnabas enters and Gerard asks if he saw anyone on his way over here--Samantha thought she saw someone through the window, that's all.  Barnabas congratulates him, but Gerard says congratulations are a bit premature, and he doesn't wish to discuss it any further. Of course, says Barnabas, and joins Gerard in the drawing room, explaining that he just came from viewing Ben's body.  Most regrettable business, remarks Gerard.  Did you know him well? asks Barnabas.  We lived in the same house for several months, says Gerard.  Did you have much actual contact with him? asks Barn.  No more, no less than anyone else--why all these questions?  You discovered the body, says Barnabas. By chance, says Gerard.  How long do you think the body had been dead? asks Barnabas.  Gerard doesn't know, he isn't the county coroner--why is Barnabas asking all these questions?  I don't believe Ben Stokes committed suicide, says Barnabas.  Are you accusing me, then? asks Gerard, be careful, because I'm not in the mood.  If you have any reason to believe that Ben Stokes would have killed himself, I wish you'd let me know, that's all I meant.  Is it? asks Gerard--your concern over a gentleman you just met is a bit excessive, isn't it?  He was a wise old man, says Barnabas, I respected his wisdom.  I find your relationship rather strange, says Gerard, it's almost as though you've known each other for years.  You know that wasn't possible, says Barnabas, a chuckle in his voice--my father knew him well, I wish I'd seen more of him.  Yes, agrees Gerard, I do, too, that way you would have known he gave in quite a bit to depression because of his health and his age--if you'll excuse me.  Gerard starts to leave just as Quentin enters the room.  "Quentin!" whispers Barnabas, shocked.  I recognize you because you so resemble your father's portrait, says Quentin, but how do you know me--I don't remember our having met before.  I saw a drawing of you upstairs, says Barnabas, covering, one done by Ben Stokes' granddaughter--it bears a remarkable resemblance to you.  Oh, yes, smiles Quentin.  I'm so astonished to see you, says Barnabas--I thought...  You thought I was dead, finishes Quentin--I'm going to have to put a notice in the village newspaper announcing my miraculous arrival.  I'm sure you two have much to talk about, says Barnabas.  Quentin says certainly you'll stay, cousin--if I may call you cousin?--after all, we could certainly use an impartial third party here tonight.  Quentin, says Gerard warningly.  Quentin turns to Gerard and says this is his house and they will do what he thinks best--he pours a drink--after all, we do have a rather scandalous and idiotic situation here, wouldn't you agree, Cousin Barnabas?  An unfortunate one, says Barnabas carefully.  Quentin says he and Gerard have been through a lot together.  Gerard tells Quentin he's leaving this house.  Not before the good woman has a chance to make up her mind about what she's going to do with her own life, says Quentin.  Do you mean that? asks Gerard.  I shall make no demands on her, vows Quentin.  And I shan't, either, says Gerard--I will leave tomorrow morning and go to the Inn, or perhaps to Rose Cottage--Flora Collins often invited me there, and whatever decision Samantha makes, I will stay with it.  Quentin smiles with satisfaction and says that they have handled this situation like gentlemen.  Barnabas listens to this exchange carefully.  Oh, says Gerard, you are the most important friend I have--you must believe that--it is with the greatest difficulty that I must say this one thing--whatever the decision Samantha makes, I have lost a friend--and he leaves the house.  Quentin sips his drink.  Don't trust him too much, warns Barnabas.  You make quick character readings, Cousin, says Quentin.  Barnabas says he speaks frankly because I think the situation demands it.  I've known the man longer than you have, points out Quentin, after all, I have sailed around the world with him.  Samantha, ready for traveling in her cloak and hood, comes in.  You're ready, I see, says Quentin, I'll see you to the carriage.  Barnabas tells her he hopes she finds her son better.  She thanks him and says goodbye.  Quentin, holding her bag, asks her if she wishes to say goodbye to Gerard.  No, she says, I don't have time.  She leaves, Quentin behind her.  Gerard comes out of the kitchen area into the foyer with Barnabas and asks him if he has psychic gifts.  No, says Barnabas why would you ask that?  Gerard points out that he seems rather comfortable here, and knows so much.  My family has made me that way, says Barn.  I see, says Gerard--tell me, I didn't know Ben Stokes' granddaughter was an artist--does she have a great deal of talent?  For a child, yes, says Barnabas.  Tapping his lower lip, Gerard says maybe he ought to have her draw something for him.  Quentin returns to say Samantha has gone.  Gerard expresses his hope that she have a pleasant trip--and he bids them good night and heads upstairs.  Certainly you're going to stay here, with us, Quentin tells Barnabas (move the casket right in!)  No, my sister is, says Barnabas, but I'm quite comfortable at the Inn for the moment.  Samantha told me Father gave you the use of the Old House, says Quentin, I certainly don't envy your repairing it.  I'll certainly enjoy doing it, Barnabas assures him.  I'll see you in the morning, says Quentin.  Barnabas tells him he won't be here in the morning; he's out of town, I regret I'll be unable to attend Ben Stokes' funeral.  They wish each other good night.  Barnabas takes his cape and leaves the house.  Outside, he spots a woman with long hair and asks who it is.
She hurries away.  He realizes who it is, and says her name--"Daphne!"

NOTES:  Long episode, folks!  Daphne has made an appearance, but I knew she was in the ep because she did the intro.  Otherwise, she was silent here.  What is she doing here?

This was the most "soap operaish" storyline I remember in DS--a triangle without an (as yet) supernatural character.  Who will Samantha choose to stay with?  Who would you stay with?  She and Quentin don't seem to have a very happy marriage, with lots of baggage on both sides.  And there's even more, as you will soon see

Gerard and Quentin are handling the parceling off of Samantha like gentlemen.  I found it pretty funny.

Trask and Barnabas, together again!  Lamar is determined to find out who did away with Daddy, but he doesn't know the man who walled up his father was standing right there.  Poignant that Barnabas wanted to pay his last respects to Ben, sad that Trask has this "rule."  Anti-vampire!  It was fun to listen to the real son of the man who was walled up talking to the first and only Barnabas Collins.  It was a fun scene.

1122 - Barnabas catches up to and grabs hold of Daphne, who orders him to let go of her.  What are you doing here? he demands.  I've done nothing wrong, she insists.  You're meeting someone, he accuses.  No, she says, my carriage has broken down on the road as I was leaving Collinsport--the driver went for help and was gone so long I thought I might find someone here who could fix it.  Why didn't you go to the house and ask for help? inquires Barnabas.
Why are you asking me all these questions? she asks.  Because I believe you're waiting for Gerard Stiles, he says.  Who? she asks.  You heard the name, says Barn.  Yes, she agrees, but I've never heard it before.  Her response leave Barnabas perplexed.

Laughing, Desmond and Quentin exit the drawing room, Desmond telling his cousin how good it is to have him back.  It's good to be back, says Quentin.  I only hope whatever decision Samantha makes, says Desmond, it's the one you want.  I want Samantha, says Quentin--it's as simple as that (coulda fooled me). Desmond asks him to come to Rose Cottage tomorrow, he brought something back from the Far East that will fascinate him.  What? asks Quentin eagerly.  You come to Rose Cottage and see for yourself, says Desmond.  Quentin agrees, and they bid each other good night at the door.  When Desmond is gone, Quentin's smile fades, and he looks unhappy.

Woods - Daphne asks Barnabas what makes him think she was waiting for this Gerard Stiles--he doesn't know her, does he?--have we met before?  Of course not, says Barnabas.  How do you know about me, why are you so suspicious? she asks him.  I know nothing about you, he says, but you must admit, your story is rather odd--you might have sent your coachman to the house.  Daphne spiritedly says she doesn't know who HE is or whether he belongs here, either.  I can assure you I do, he says--I'm Barnabas Collins--you haven't told me your name.  There's no need for me to, she says.  I would hate to have to force you, he says.  (A touch of vampire persuasion, perhaps?)  Why would you do that, Barnabas? calls Desmond, joining them.  My carriage has broken down by the main gate, says Daphne hurriedly.  Desmond, chuckling, says they'll have to fix it for her--I mean, it wouldn't be gallant not to.  He's already interested.  The coachman's probably back by now, says Daphne.  She mustn't walk through the woods alone, must she? Desmond asks Barnabas.  Daphne assures him she'll be all right.  No, there have been many attacks in the woods lately, says Desmond, there's a vicious animal at large--isn't that so, cousin?  Yes, apparently there is, agrees Barnabas.  Desmond volunteers to take her to her carriage, but she says not to bother.  It's no bother, he assures her, I need the air to relax--you see, he says to Barnabas, I found Cousin Quentin's predicament quite unsettling.  But we should be grateful he's still alive, says Barn, as Daphne listens intently.  Desmond says he's grateful indeed, Quentin is his closest friend--shall we go? he asks Daphne.  Yes, I'd be delighted to have your company, she says.  Desmond Collins, at your service, he says, and bids Barnabas good night, leading Daphne off.  She tells him she doesn't know what's wrong with the carriage.

Julia exits the drawing room, looks around to see if anyone is around, and leaves the double doors ajar while she speaks to Barnabas.  So Daphne is here, she says, why didn't she know Gerard's name?--why would she be staring at the house--if her carriage had broken down...she would have come here, finishes Barnabas
--exactly--no, she was here for some other purpose, the curious thing is, she said she was leaving Collinsport tonight.  Julia says that in the present, they thought Daphne and Quentin were in love--it's such a jigsaw puzzle.  And Daphne is the last missing piece, says Barnabas, and now the drama will begin to unfold--we must change it, Julia, you and I--or else Collinwood in 1970 will be destroyed.

At a tavern, over tea, Desmond is telling Daphne it makes  no difference that her carriage started working.  I thought the driver stopped because he said he had to work on it, she says, I must have misunderstood him.  I'm glad you did, says Desmond, I wish you'd let me persuade you not to leave Collinsport.  She says he might regret it if she stays.  Never, he says.  You sound positive, she says.  I am, he assures her, I have a good feeling about you.  Looking uncomfortable, she stands and says she really must go.  You haven't finished your tea, he reminds her, you promised to have a cup of tea with me--what are you afraid of, we Collinses have a very respectable reputation.  She smiles and says, "Do you?--tell me about the Collinses, please."  Anyone in particular? he asks--I could ramble on about my mother, the world's worst and fastest novelist, or I could tell you what little I know of Cousin Barnabas, who you so curiously met--or I could speak of Gabriel.  Quentin, she says, tells me about Quentin Collins.  (Hmmm!)

So, Desmond relates to Daphne, here you have what should be a happy ending--only Quentin Collins has come back to more trouble--and that's the saga of Quentin, so far--have I bored you?  No, she says.  You seem so withdrawn, he remarks.  It's hard to imagine what it's like to be someone else, she says.  I wouldn't want you to be anybody else, he says--you aren't planning to, are you?  What do you mean? she says.  Just that I like you the way you are, he says, gazing at her raptly.  Thank you, she says, then asks if Quentin and his wife were happy.  I never heard either of them complain, chuckles Desmond.  Didn't you? she asks.
What is this? he says--you're a very serious girl.  It's just that I'm tired all of a sudden, that's all, she says.  Desmond says he isn't going to let her start--look, you said yourself the only reason you're leaving town is because there is nothing here for you--now you've met me--things will change, you'll see.  I really must go, she says, rising.  You can't leave tonight, he says, I'll take you to the Inn--you should at least get a good night's sleep.  She agrees to go to the Inn.  He asks her not to leave until he sees her tomorrow.  She says if she stays, she has a lot to do.  I'll help you, he says.  No, she says, what I have to do, I must do alone.  Desmond drops money on the table and follows her out.

Collinwood - Gabriel wheels himself into the drawing room where Julia greets him, offering him some coffee.  He comments that she's an early riser, and that he takes his coffee black.  He calls her Miss Collins, at first, then asks if she's Dr. Collins.  Miss, she says, will be fine--would you like a muffin?  He accepts, and she brings the coffee and muffin to him.  How did you become a doctor? he asks.  Oh, I was very interested in it, she says, I spent years studying with a physician privately.  How unusual, he comments, do you have a license to practice?  Not here, no, she says, sitting down on the sofa.  I thought someday you might have a look at my legs, he says--not that anything can be done, of course.  You were in an accident? asks Julia.  Gabriel sips his coffee.  Yes, as a child, he says, taking a bite of muffin, my brother, Quentin...  He suddenly drops both muffin and plate to the floor, staring in stunned disbelief, his mouth hanging open.  It's Quentin, grinning, who assures his brother he's not a ghost and picks up the plate and muffin.  I should have pinned a notice to the door, says Quentin, saying missing brother is back alive and relatively well--and you must be Julia Collins--I met your brother Barnabas.  Yes, she says, I heard you'd been rescued, isn't it wonderful.  You may be one of the few people who thinks so, says Quentin.  Gabriel, still stunned, asks why no one told him.  You were asleep when I came, says Quentin.  You could have wakened me, insists Gabriel.  Quentin says he had a lot of things on his mind.  He pours coffee for himself.  Indeed you did, says Gabriel--how did you get home, out of that storm?  You can read it in my memoirs, quips Quentin, edited, of course, by my dear Cousin Flora--please, Gabriel, let me finish my coffee without going on about anything like that--and so, how is our Cousin Julia enjoying Collinwood?  Gabriel asks how he can act as if this is just a normal autumn morning in Collinwood?  Because I simply prefer that it is, says Quentin.  And will Mrs. Gerard Stiles walk through that door soon? demands Gabriel.  There is no Mrs. Gerard Stiles, says Quentin, there's only my wife, Samantha, and she is in Boston--Tad is ill there, not serious--my my, I think there's going to be a storm tonight--he opens the window.  The weather seems to follow our moods, says Gabriel.  If you'll excuse me, says Julia, I'm sure you have a great deal to say to each other.  She leaves the drawing room.  Gabriel faces Quentin and asks if he found out what Samantha is REALLY like.  I found out she's a woman who cannot bear loneliness, says Quentin, sipping his coffee.  Did you know, asks Gabriel, squeezing his ball, that while you were gone, she tried to throw me out of the house I was born in?
Did she? asks Quentin, laughing ironically, if she did, I'm sure you gave her a good reason--I've always stood up for you--I don't know why, perhaps it's because I feel some responsibility for the way you are--yes, I know, you're just about to say that I should, aren't you?--but you know, you've become so bitter, even I find it hard to find affection for you--and, coffee cup in hand, he leaves the room.  Gabriel gazes after him with hatred.

Rose Cottage - Desmond abruptly pushes open the curtains covering the head-in-a-glass-case as if trying to catch it with its eyes open.  He stares at it, circling the case.  Quentin knocks at the door--he's come for his present.  Desmond looks as if he's in a trance.  Flora, calls Quentin, I thought you said Desmond was here?  Desmond stares at the head, breathing unevenly, spellbound.

Desmond closes the curtains and opens the doors.  There you are, says Quentin, sorry to disturb you, but you did ask me over to come get my present--and believe me, I'm in dire need of a marvelous present.  Desmond's expression makes Quentin ask him what's wrong.  Nothing, says Desmond, you surprised me, that's all.  Why, you knew I was coming, says Quentin.  Yes, yes I did, says Desmond, as if in a fog.  Quentin asks him if he's going to start acting strange, too, is he?--I'm beginning to think it wouldn't have been a bad idea if I'd been lost at sea.  Don't you ever think that, says Desmond.  Quentin says he thinks it time he got back some of his old interests--time I start finding some of the lost world we can't understand or even see--what did you bring me?--something that has a lot of distractions in it for me, I hope.  Something like that, agrees, Desmond.  Well what, man, tell me! says Quentin.  Books, says Desmond, rare books on the occult, I have them right here.  He hands Quentin two books, one he says is a treatise on white witches, and a study of the Druids use of the supernatural.  Quentin thanks him and sits down to look at once of the books.  Desmond wanders over to peek through the curtains at the head, saying he never believed any of that, although he knows Quentin always has, and Mother does now--but it always seemed to me silly.  What made you change your mind? asks Quentin.  Desmond doesn't reply at first, and Quentin calls his name again and asks if something is wrong.  Desmond says yes, he just realized, he's got to get to the village--he'll drive him to Collinwood.  Quentin says no, he hasn't finished yet, he'd like to look at the book.  No, I don't have time, and neither do you, says Desmond--remember, Ben's funeral is this afternoon.  Oh yes, Ben, says Quentin, I'd forgotten all about him--I wonder whatever made him even try to cut his own head off.  Let's not even think about it, says Desmond--come on, my carriage is outside.  Quentin and Desmond leave.  The camera pans to the curtains, behind which the head, eyes closed, waits.

Desmond returns to Rose Cottage and furtively looks in on the head.  Barnabas greets him from the room's darkness.  Desmond asks him how long he's been here.  Just a few minutes, says Barn--why?  You just surprised me, that's all, says Desmond--we missed you at Ben's funeral.  I'm sorry, says Barnabas, but I had some urgent business to attend to, but I've come here about something very important to me--I want you to tell me everything you know and found out about that girl last night.  And may I ask why you're so interested in her? demands Desmond, annoyed.
She reminds me of someone I met once, says Barnabas--where is she staying?  I wish I knew, says Desmond, I left her at the Inn, this afternoon she was gone, left no forwarding address.  Barnabas says then she must have left Collinsport.  Desmond doesn't know, but something curious--her carriage wasn't broken at all last night--where did she go to?  Barnabas asks what her name is.  Daphne Harridge, says Desmond--I really want to see her again.  Yes, so do I, says Barnabas.

Daphne stands at the front door of Collinwood, hand on the knob.

Inside, the drawing room's double doors are ajar.  Inside, Barnabas asks Julia if she checked both boarding houses in town.  Yes, says Julia, there's no one who matches the description, and neither of the houses had any new rooms today.  Daphne quietly enters Collinwood as Barnabas is telling Julia she must have left town.  Daphne drops a note on the foyer table.  The only thing we know, says Julia, is that she will be back.  Yes, but when? asks Barnabas--how long can we keep up this charade, pretending to be people we're not?  He closes the door and says he thinks he'll go to Quentin, tell him everything.  Absolutely not, insists Julia.  But he's the only person, says Barnabas that would understand.  No, she says, we don't know him well enough and we've got to decide what we'll do.

Quentin comes downstairs and finds the note on the foyer table.  He opens it and reads it, then pushes open the drawing room doors and demands of Barnabas and Julia, "Who left this note for me--who?"

At Rose Cottage, a window blows in the wind from the storm.  Desmond, looking ragged, closes it.  He goes over to look at the head, staring down at it.  Can the legends me true? he wonders, smiling, and walks away.  The head's eyes are open, staring at Desmond, who now has his back to it.  When he turns to look again, the eyes are closed.  Desmond sits down on a love seat and opens the book Ben gave him, but seems too tired to read it.  He sinks back and falls into a nightmare-plagued asleep, in which the head speaks to him--"Help me!  You will help me!"

NOTES:  That head has begun to take over Desmond.  He didn't give it to Quentin as planned, and that dream--creepy stuff.  It looks totally evil, and I have no doubt it has evil intent toward Desmond and perhaps others.

Daphne has arrived, but she's a mystery woman who doesn't even know Gerard or Quentin.  She lied about her carriage--why?  Desmond already seems to like her, yet she was in love with Quentin.  What's the real story?  What's in that note she left, and why is Quentin so upset about it?

We see that Quentin and Gabriel have a Cain/Abel relationship.  Quentin had something to do with Gabriel's paralysis, although we didn't find out the specifics today.  We will eventually.  In any case, Quentin is fed up with Gabriel's bitterness, and now Gabriel, who is as far from receiving the family money as he ever was, despises his brother.

Julia and Barnabas are playing detective again, not getting very far.  Will they be able to head off the inevitable.  I don't think confiding in Quentin is such a bad idea.  If there was more communication back in 1970, this wouldn't have happened the way it did.

Daphne must have overheard Barnabas asking Julia how long they can keep on with their charade of pretending to be people they aren't.  She could easily use this against them in the future.

Love, Robin