Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0586  (Read 1299 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0586
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
Robservations #586

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0586

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Adam chokes Vicki into unconsciousness--and then is horrified at this, his first violent act. He wipes his hands on the green sweater as if he could remove his guilt that way.

As he sits by Vicki's side, awash in guilt and fear, Barnabas blames himself and wonders if the curse is still in force after 200 years. Carolyn refuses to believe that Adam was the attacker.

Carolyn doesn’t believe Adam attacked Vicki--what would his motive be?--so she is calling the police when Nicholas, his usual dapper self even at this hour, materializes beside her. He dissuades her from talking to the police by taking the receiver and hanging it up. How dare you! she rages and tells him that Adam has just attacked Vicki. Nicholas points out that she has no proof except for Barnabas's say-so. Carolyn goes back upstairs and demands to know why Barnabas thinks he (A.) was. Barnabas pleads exhaustion and worry and promises to answer her questions later. Yes, later, Carolyn replies with all of Elizabeth's own imperiousnessness.

Nicholas heads for the West Wing and scolds Adam for almost ruining the experiment. Nicholas is taken aback when Adam tells him that Maggie is to provide the life force. With a flash of perception, Adam suggests that Nicholas is in love with Maggie. (Adam is just as much of a romantic as Barnabas!) Nicholas denies it, saying, LOVE is a word I do not use. When Carolyn comes to see Adam, he denies attacking Vicki--his second lie to his little blond goddess. Nicholas assures him it wasn't a lie and coaches him in what to say to Barnabas.

Great job by RR in the last scene: When Barnabas gets home, Adam is waiting for him, calmly sitting by the fire and playing solitaire. Barnabas refuses to sit and listen at first, but with great dignity Adam says, When I first knew you, I never thought I could be the gentleman that you are. You are a very imposing man, Barnabas, and I still find it difficult not to be frightened by your manner. Barnabas finally sits and listens in astonishment when Adam continues in the same calm and dignified manner, I have decided to believe you. I have chosen the woman who will give her life force to my mate, and she is not a stranger. When Barnabas asks who it will be, Adam replies calmly, She is the only woman I will ever love--Carolyn Stoddard....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:56:24 AM »
They didn't actually ever tell Adam that Willie took Maggie... Julia just said that Willie didn't like what they were going to do with her.  But Adam knows.  This happens a lot on DS.

Adam gets that Nick "loves" Maggie!   A second secret Adam-Nick conference happens while we weren't looking.   I liked Adam's manner as he reveals to Barnabas that Carolyn's the life force, even if he comes across as slightly ridiculous trying to be "erudite"... I like how he reaches past his obvious clumsiness and manages to succeed at this partially.   I have to say, I'm not totally against Threatening Adam this time around, so far.

If this Nick/Carolyn scene was the one where she first sees him looking up at him on the stairs, I wondered if a moment earlier, off-camera, Nick might have poofed himself into existence on the stairs without her seeing it...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »
I haven't watched these episodes in a while, so thought I'd join in on the fun...but I really should have started at the beginning of the storyline.

Adam chokes Vicki into unconsciousness--and then is horrified at this, his first violent act. He wipes his hands on the green sweater as if he could remove his guilt that way.

My first thought was maybe Vicki put on some cold cream on her face and neck before bed, and Adam's hands were greasy.

I thought Vicki's attack scene was a little awkward. Way too many pauses and actors waiting for their cues to make it believable to me --but that's part of Dark Shadows' charm I guess.

I did like how Jonathan ran up the stairs, though. He had a lot of spring in his step.

I think Humbert is amazing! He just looks so confident and relaxed, and makes it all look so easy.

Adam is more mature then I remember him. His vocabulary has increased and he plays solitaire, too!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
Welcome, Ronny G.   With two valued members of the WP unable to see the episodes now (though one manages to make good posts anyway somehow), it's very good to see you here.   Nothing wrong with the perspective of someone jumping into the storyline in the middle.   It's all confusing anyway, even for we who started at the beginning.......
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
Welcome, Ronny G!

I love the idea of Nicholas just poofing himself wherever he needs to be. I guess if he had a car, it would be a silver Jaguar, and he probably would drive extremely fast.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:41:14 PM »
And he would get there ahead of it!

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Thanks, everyone for the welcome. I've been wanting to join the watching project for some time.
There is something intriguing about watching the same episode at the same time as everyone else like we're sharing the same experience. I just hope I can be committed and keep up the pace.
This isn't my first time watching these episodes, but it has been a few years so I've forgotten certain details.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
And he would get there ahead of it!

[hall2_grin] [hall2_grin] [hall2_grin]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
With all the commotion going on, only Carolyn comes to check and she also has a key to Vickie's room nearby. I was waiting for Nick's reaction to learning Maggie was the life force and it did not disappoint. And the life force will be Carolyn.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
I was thunderstruck by Robert Rodan's performance in this episode. He was totally in control of the character from beginning to end and never hit a single false note in his portrayal of a confused, troubled soul caught in immense moral conflict. It seemed like so many contradictory thoughts and feelings were pulsing through Adam in this installment, and Rodan conveyed each one brilliantly. Very impressive work. [snow_wow]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
It took a second viewing for me to see past the character to Rodan's praiseworthy performances. I even disliked the character a little less the second time around.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »
Yea, I'm not a big fan of either the character or the story line either, but they sure picked a fine actor for the occasion.