Author Topic: Abe Vigoda / Wombat Suit / Some Forum Members Collapse In Hysterical Laughter!  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The new issue of Entertainment Weekly reports that Abe Vigoda shimmied on stage in a wombat suit at Phish's Halloween concert! Why is that significant beyond the fact that it's a reference to Abe himself? Well, if you follow the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - Vicki/Jeff-Cassandra/The Dream Curse-Adam/Eve/Nicholas" board, then you know why you're [stfl]!!  If not, well, sadly, you'll probably never know why.  [sad7]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
With or without a clarinet, it's priceless!  [hall2_shocked] [hall2_cool] [hall2_rolleyes]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm surprised Hot In Cleveland hasn't tapped him yet to play one of Elke's (Betty White's) "boyfriends."  They are both iconic TV comedic stars - and are the same age.  And both still working. 

Can any of us imagine still working at 92?  Betty White had absolutely no intention of being a regular on HIC.  She agreed to do a one-episode cameo on the pilot, but the audience reaction was so strong that she agreed to be a regular star, becoming a "Sophia" character to the three fifty-something "younger" women trying to rebuild their lives while facing ageism (one of the creators did admit that it is essentially a remake of The Golden Girls, updated).  So let's get Abe Vigoda to do an appearance, if not just for one episode but maybe even as a reacurring character.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Abe V is up for anything, as his many appearances with Conan O'Brien over the years show.... the last one I remember was when he allowed himself to be strung with Christmas lights as a holiday tree called "The Vigoda".   I'm not sure these appearances can be called "work", but at his age, showing up might count as work...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Since elderly actors are being discussed, I considered mentioning this one and then discovered that there's even a DS connection!

I was trying to determine an episode I saw last night and so wrote down the names of a couple of the guest stars to see if I could look it up.  One was Charles Lane.  There are a lot of Charles Lanes, but I checked out the first one and the picture immediately revealed that he was the one I wanted.  It turned out he was born January 26, 1905 and died July 9, 2007, nearly 102 1/2!!!  And, his last work was as a narrator, voice only, in a short called The Night Before Christmas in 2006!!!!  The last before that was in 1995 when he would have been 90.  I then saw that he was an Antique Dealer in the 6th episode of the 1991 DS series.  It was probably the equivalent of the Abe Vigoda role!  He was in all sorts of things, so I'm sure everyone would recognize him from something.
Josette

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
Sure thing, Josette. Charles Lane was in a lot of stuff. You can always pick him.out by his voice. For baby boomers,  he's most remembered as Mr. Barnsdahl on the Lucy show and Homer Bedloe on Petticoat Junction
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I then saw that he was an Antique Dealer in the 6th episode of the 1991 DS series.  It was probably the equivalent of the Abe Vigoda role!

Charles Lane pops up in the July 3rd installment of the slideshow for '91 DS:

Ep #6 - Antique Dealer: 'Some of these bottles hold some
pretty strong poisons.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
With or without a clarinet, it's priceless!  [hall2_shocked] [hall2_cool] [hall2_rolleyes]

Most definitely!  [hall2_grin]

Thanks for the video, Midnite!  [hall2_smiley]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Oh, okay, it's not a urine sample...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  At first I had absolutely no clue what you were talking about.  [hdscrt]  Then I realized you were referring to what's in the bottle that the antique dealer is holding in the capture!  [lghy]  But for the record, he was showing Carolyn the contents of an apothecary case.  ;)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Must've been the last hour and a half I spent reading the games boards, lol

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Homer Bedloe was one of the best villians - on Petticoat Junction.  He was always trying to shut down the Shadyrest Hotel and the Cannonball Express, much to the ire of Kate Bradley.  But she always managed to out-do him.  I remember his scene on DS91 as I shouted out:  "That's Homer!"

Gerard