Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0582  (Read 825 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0582
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
Robservations #582

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0582

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
This episode is a bit more interesting because it's more about Barn and Julia and Willie.

Barnabas fires Jeff, but Angelique has different ideas.

Julia tells Barnabas that Jeff's work is done and that Jeff and Vicki have broken up. Julia hypothesizes, Perhaps he wanted to destroy the body out of revenge. You’re such a romantic, Julia, Barnabas comments somewhat disparagingly. I used to be, Julia says wistfully, but not any more.

Barnabas orders Julia to get used to the idea of Maggie Evans as the life force for the body. Willie knows about this and begs Julia to use her influence with Barnabas to keep him from using Maggie. I feel sick about what I’m doing, he complains. You and Barnabas, you feel sick too, but you just keep on going. Julia promises to try but is doubtful of success. No one can change his mind, she says unhappily. Willie says miserably, I can’t bear to think of Maggie strapped to the table, in danger of dying. Julia is sympathetic but she stops him cold with, You forget, Willie--I watched Barnabas. Then she says goodnight and leaves Willie alone.

Barnabas comes back upstairs after Julia leaves and tells Willie to lock up downstairs. You gonna go to sleep now? Willie asks. If I can, Barnabas answers. Yeah, I guess you do have trouble sleeping, Willie dares to comment. What do you mean? asks Barnabas. Nothing, Willie insists, but Barnabas is highly displeased as he watches Willie head for the basement.

Once Willie is alone in the lab, he takes a scalpel and snarls at the lifeless body, Maggie Evans ain’t gonna die for you! Then he raises the scalpel, poised to strike.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »
Are you sure you aren't watching thes ep's, DL?   You give very good accounts of them.  Is this all from old viewing notes?  I've been throwing mine away as I finish commenting... maybe I shouldn't.

This episode is infamous to me, for incoherent writing, especially the voiceover, which was laughable to me and which I quoted verbatim last time around.  At least I do remember quoting it somewhere, though I now realize I didn't join the WP until Leviathans.

Many so-bad-they're-good Jeff moments.   He gets to register shock in a unique way, by grasping his temples in both hands, opening his eyes as widely as humanly possible without ocular injury.   I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd heard a director shouting "MORE FEAR!!!   EMOTE, DAMN IT!!!" from offstage.   (Futurama reference sort of)    I guess the head-grasping is what fans think of as hair-touching.

Jeff's funniest moment was when he'd just been fired by Barnabas, and on his way to the stairs to leave, he picks up a little blue pillow meant for Eve's head, realizes this was pointless, discards the pillow, and leaves...

Did Willie try to stab Eve in this one?  I thought I'd failed to note a new ep starting and put that under #583.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »
I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd heard a director shouting "MORE FEAR!!!   EMOTE, DAMN IT!!!" from offstage.   (Futurama reference sort of)    I guess the head-grasping is what fans think of as hair-touching.

Last time around we referenced the extreme example of Jeff's hair touching in this ep:

... one of the most significant scenes in the RD hair touching ...

But then, it's completely impossible to miss!  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, MT! I used to make copious notes for a friend who didn't have access to cable when the show was on the SciFi channel (Syfy now), and somehow I just never got rid of them.

But I didn't catch everything, so I'm really loving all those hair-touching references!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
Jeff appears to come unhinged and apparently grabbing at his head means angst. I wish he'd squeeze it off, but no such luck. Barnabas decides to use Maggie as the life force  even though the last time he used her was a total disaster. Willie is at worked up this development.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »
Jeff appears to come unhinged and apparently grabbing at his head means angst. I wish he'd squeeze it off, but no such luck.

(I heard a loud "pop" in my imagination when you said this, as it came off...)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor