Author Topic: Willy Wonka playing this weekend at Delsea Drive-In Vineland, NJ  (Read 1195 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Willy Wonka playing this weekend at Delsea Drive-In Vineland, NJ
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:04:55 AM »
If you would like to see Denise Nickerson on the big screen and you can get to Vineland, NJ You can catch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory this weekend at the Delsea Drive-In.

http://delseadrive-in.com/email.php/
Dan

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Willy Wonka playing this weekend at Delsea Drive-In Vineland, NJ
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
DLA75,

I didn't know that there were any more drive-ins in the Garden State. Oh, for those halcyon days of the Laurelton Drive-In, the drive-in on the old circle at Route 34 and Hwy 35 in Wall Township, the drive-in further up north on Route 34, inland from Asbury Park, and the drive-in on Route 9, right near "beautiful" Newark Airport.

I recall that "House of Dark Shadows" played at several of those, now long gone, outdoor cinemas back in 1970.  [hall2_sad] [hall2_wink] [hall2_smiley]

Bob

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
O/T Re: Willy Wonka playing this weekend at Delsea Drive-In Vineland, NJ
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
O/T

Bob, we used to go to the drive-in in Eatontown.

Funny this should come up, last night my brother-in-law took my nephew to see THOR II and as they were leaving they put sweats over his PJ's and it reminded me of how we used to wear our PJ's to the drive-in when we were really young. So I was going to tell them that I was reminded of it but I led with, "You guys remember going to the drive-in?", and they both shook their heads no, and so ended my cute little giggle story.

As a young teen I had to sit thru movies like TRUE GRIT (which at the time I loathed with a capital 'L') when my Dad would decide to go to the drive-in. At that point the best thing about going to the drive-in was stopping at a burger joint before the movie. Bob, remember Wetson's on 35 just north of the Eatontown Mall? It was very close to the drive-in. (Remember when the Eatontown Mall was an 'open air' mall, with Bamburgers as it's anchor store?)

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: O/T Re: Willy Wonka playing this weekend at Delsea Drive-In Vineland, NJ
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
Dom,

That's a great remembrance about the young kids wearing their PJs to the drive-in. Man, does that bring back memories!  I can remember sitting in the back of my parents' car with my brothers, and we were all terrified, watching Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" at the Laurelton Drive-In. [hall2_shocked] [hall2_grin]

I do remember that Wetson's on Route 35.  There seemed to be a bunch of Wetsons in the New York/New Jersey area back then.  (I think that young, rich guy, Wetson, was married to the late Margo Hemingway, but, alas, that marriage lasted about as "long" as Jeremiah and Josette Collins' marriage did.) [hall2_sad]

Hey, do you remember the McDonald's in Neptune, N.J., just in from Ocean Grove and Asbury Park?  I think that was the very first "Golden Arch" in New Jersey.  I wonder if they had a McDonald's in Collinsport, Maine in the original DS series, like they obviously did in Tim Robbins vision of Collinsport in the new DS film? [hall2_undecided] [hall2_grin]  (Maybe Barnabas sent Willie out regularly in the car to get him a couple of Big Macs with fries and a milk shake to go?) [hall2_undecided]

Too bad that we never got to see Joe Haskell taking Maggie to see a film at the Collinsport Drive-In.  Maybe Barnabas could have snuck-up on some overly amorous couples, who were NOT watching the film? [hall2_kiss] [hall2_wink] [hall2_grin]

Bob

PS One of the worst films that I can remember having to sit through at a drive-in, was, ironically, another John Wayne film, "The Green Berets."  Ugh!  Even my World War II veteran father thought that film was especially hokey and unrealistic.  I wonder if KLS enjoyed working with "The Duke" in "Branigan"?  [hall2_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:40:58 AM »
As a young chap, we spent our first family outing to our local drive-in (now long gone) to see Hey, There, It's Yogi Bear.  What I remember most were the previews.  Virtually all were for horror movies, resplendant with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and the aging Boris Karloff, most Hammer features.  One of the movies was The Curse of the Werewolf.  I was utterly terrified and buried my face in my mother's chest.  Naturally, a huge proportion of films shown at the local drive-in were horror movies.  The next family flic we saw at the drive-in was Mary Poppins.  As a teenager, when I was far more appreciative of the horror genre, we save everything from Witchfinder General/The Conquering Worm to the first Dawn of the Dead.  It was a part of the adolescent growing-up experience no longer, well, experienced.  The audio boxes with their window clips were difficult to understand (and always covered with bird, especially seagull, doo-doo), mosquitoes would bombard us so we had to close the windows causing them to fog up so we had to run the engine with the de-fogger on and - of course - we'd send one of our newby teenage friends, as a part of an "initiation" to the food shelter (where you could even get pizza) and while he/she was there, we'd move the car.  We never, however, had to hide fellow movie-going friends in the trunk to save on admission because the cost was just a half-dollar-flat, regardless if you had one in the vehicle or you had 'em stacked up like corkwood. 

Gerard

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:27:31 AM »
I didn't know that there were any more drive-ins in the Garden State. Oh, for those halcyon days of the Laurelton Drive-In, the drive-in on the old circle at Route 34 and Hwy 35 in Wall Township, the drive-in further up north on Route 34, inland from Asbury Park, and the drive-in on Route 9, right near "beautiful" Newark Airport.

The Delsea closed in 1987 but was reopened in 2004. With the Digital Projectors they that they installed this season they can play Classics like Willie Wonka, Jaws and ET off Blu-ray.

Here is a video I made about the Delsea this past spring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vq76UErSOhI
Dan

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
There was a drive-in theatre near me when I was a kid. We only went once, as I recall. Its prime location adjacent to the city dump may have influenced that. The unique, shall we say, aroma was extremely unpleasant.  To say nothing of the assorted vermin that would scurry around your vehicle at inopportune moments.

The highlight came during a heavy rainstorm. It happened during the day so no one was injured. During some heavy winds, the screen toppled over.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
There was a drive-in theatre near me when I was a kid. We only went once, as I recall. Its prime location adjacent to the city dump may have influenced that. The unique, shall we say, aroma was extremely unpleasant.  To say nothing of the assorted vermin that would scurry around your vehicle at inopportune moments.

Uncle Roger,

That's a terrific remembrance about the animals which were, quite often, "indigenous" to the drive-ins across America.  I remember when, during the summer months, the management of the local drive-ins would supply (free of charge) these small, spiral-shaped devices to everyone driving into the place, which you would then light with a match and then affix then to the side-view mirror of your car in the generally futile attempt to ward off all of those oh-so-pesky mosquitoes with the smelly smoke, emanating from the dumb thing. [hall2_undecided]

And, if those schlocky devices didn't work, the drive-in management might have a truck drive around the movie screen, spewing some apparently powerful spray to rid the area of those mosquitoes.

Let me tell you, watching that (quite possibly toxic) spray was often even better than watching the film they showed up on there on the movie screen!  As a kid sitting there in the car, I thought it was like that scene in "The Incredible Shrinking Man," where actor Grant Williams becomes engulfed in all of that mysterious fog out on his boat in the Pacific Ocean. [hall2_shocked]

No doubt, today, enterprising attorneys like Tony Petersen and the Garners would have their schedules filled up with plaintiffs suing all of those drive-in owners for possible toxic spray contamination from way back during the 1950s and 1960s! [hall2_angry] [hall2_wink]

Bob