Author Topic: Elements of Films That DS Has Borrowed From Through The Years?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Elements of Films That DS Has Borrowed From Through The Years?
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
This past weekend I watched several different vampire films that I'd DVR'd during Halloween week. One of them was Kiss of the Vampire, and while I know the film has come up on the forum many times, I don't recall any discussions as to whether or not it was the first or at least one of the first vampire films to refer to vampirism as a disease? I thought that was interesting because as far as I can recall, vampirism was almost exclusively a supernatural condition back in the days when that film was made, as well as prior to it.

I also watched 1970's Count Dracula with Christopher Lee and Herbert Lom, which shouldn't be confused with any of Lee's Hammer films because to say it was dull would be a huge understatement. In fact, it may just be the dullest adaptation of the Stoker novel that has ever existed. And the only reason I stuck around through the whole thing was because I was hoping it would get better once Lucy became attacked, turned into a vampire, was dispatched, and Dracula turned his attentions to Mina - but no such luck. However, the reason I bring the film up is because I found it very interesting that the building used for Dracula's castle had a ton of the same design flourishes that Collinwood did in the Depp/DS film. I recall that Production Designer Rick Heinrichs used several different buildings as his inspiration for Collinwood (he even pinned photos of many buildings on a caulk board), so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the inspiration for Collinwood's design came from that building in Count Dracula. Frankly, that location was probably the best thing about the film.  [hall2_wink]

David

Re: Elements of Films That DS Has Borrowed From Through The Years?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »

[hall2_smiley]
Portrait of Jennie (1948), in which a dead woman returns to meet the soulmate she was supposed to have met in life, but didn't, draws many parallels to the Victoria/Peter time tripping love story.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »
In DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, Countess Zaleska seeks "treatment" for her "condition" believing that modern psychotherapy might help.  In HOUSE OF DRACULA (which may have been where Malcolm Marmorstein, or whoever originated the idea of Dr. Julius Hoffman, got the idea), the Count's blood is analysed and the results are very similar to Julia's 1967 diagnosis ("the destructive nature of your blood cells... introduce a new plasma into your arterial system"). 

In the 1958 HORROR OF DRACULA, van Helsing alternatively speaks of vampirism as a cult or a disease.  In BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960) it's implied that vampirism is a form of spiritual perversion and one could pick it up simply by going to the wrong parties.  In KISS OF THE VAMPIRE, the idea of the vampires practicing an inverted form of Christianity reaches a mature expression, one which continues through the remainder of the Hammer Dracula film series.

DS stole from a number of classic horror and fantasy films. It's always fun when you're watching a film and suddenly realize that something is there that most likely inspired a favorite episode or plot point on DS.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the rundown, Gothick.  [hall2_smiley]  I haven't seen Horror of Dracula in ages and ages, and I don't recall at all if I've ever seen Brides of Dracula. Though as I was watching Kiss of the Vampire, I was certain that I'd never seen it - but when the scene depicting what happens to the vampire cult came along, I definitely remembered having seen it. But I suppose it could be that I'd seen just that scene on some show about vampires.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
You really need to see BRIDES OF DRACULA, MB.  The histrionic dowager factor is high with Martita Hunt (the greatest Miss Havisham of them all, in David Lean's 1940s film of GREAT EXPECTATIONS) and Freda Jackson duelling for the role of scenery shredding doyenne.  I think it's a tie though Freda just may have the edge for this extraordinary scene where she performs wake-up call duties for a new Bride.

It's also probably the most Freudian vampire movie ever made, with some great setpieces...
G.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
In the World War II era film, "The Return of the Vampire," Bela Lugosi's crypt looks very much like the Collins Family Mausoleum and accompanying Secret Room from "Dark Shadows."

Incidentally, "Return of the Vampire" was probably the first horror film which showed a werewolf who was able to speak, smile and express other emotions, unlike almost all of the other cinematic werewolves, who just snarled and growled at their prospective victims. [hall2_lipsrsealed] [hall2_grin]