Author Topic: The 1795 Reverend Trask....  (Read 530 times)

IluvBarnabas

The 1795 Reverend Trask....
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
I've been reading and rereading old posts about him...some have defended his actions and behavior, saying he did what he did to Vicki because he 'believed he was right' and that he may even have been 'a victim of the times'.

I'm sorry but I have never and never WILL have any sympathy for the man. The man was borderline cruel and a hypocrite to boot. He preaches about Satan yet indulges in unscrupulous actions that would make Satan proud to achieve his ends. I will never see him as a victim.

I mean, He is totally unrepentant about [spoiler] how he went about getting Vicki convicted. The way he smirked when she was found guilty...ugh!!! He more than deserved his fate at the hands of Barnabas. [/spoiler] I realize many may disagree with me on that sentiment, even from those who agree with me about Trask himself.

I will say one good thing about him...his descendant Gregory almost makes him look like a boy scout. Almost that is.

Will say though that Jerry Lacy is excellent as Trask (as all the Trasks actually).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: The 1795 Reverend Trask....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:05:23 AM »
Yes, I don't get the apologists for him.   There's a reason that the phrase "witch hunt" has such negative connotations.  Of course witch hunters believed what they were doing was right.   So did the Spanish Inquisition and Hitler.   They're also all lying to themselves, brainwashing themselves into believing they're doing it just out of righteousness, patriotism, whatever, blinding themselves to the fact that most of their motivation is ego and lust for power.   Consciously though, it's all pure and noble to them.

I've noticed these days an awful tendency in people to think that "good intentions" justify anything and make one blameless for any damage one does.

Some very religious DS fans may automatically be on the minister's side, I suppose.  They should note that not only is he brutal and unfair, but he's presented as negatively as the makers of the show knew how to make him-- hostile booming voice, threats, accusing people left and right, praising himself and his purity to anyone who'll listen... but oh, it's all okay, because he "means well".  I guess that makes him the good guy...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The 1795 Reverend Trask....
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
my main complaints with jerry lacey as the various "trasks" have always been less about his actions per se and more about the broadness and campiness of lacey's performance...

it's very unrealistic in a show known for some "high octane" dramatics. as lacey himself said it's "mustache-twirling at it's best. it's almost like watching a cartoon. whenever I rewatch a portion of the series I fast forward through his parts he's so grating and obnoxious. [hall2_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.