Author Topic: That Pxilated Flora Collins  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That Pxilated Flora Collins
« on: September 19, 2003, 04:02:29 PM »
One of my favorite things about the current storyline is the original characterization of Flora Collins.  As happened with PT Liz, Flora originally was very different from the other roles that Joan played on DS.  Flora exemplifies such girlish froth, such charming gaiety.  I always feel genuine regret when the writers forgot and just started churning out Joan's default "matriarchal matron" dialogue again for Flora.

Flora's psychedelic massage from Gerard is pretty darn kicky, too, isn't it?

G.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:That Pxilated Flora Collins
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 04:18:48 PM »
     Flora is such a joy.  Many of the characters in Dark Shadows had no joie de vivre.  They were all morose and without humor.  Flora is such a breath of fresh air in the stuffy atmosphere in Collinwood.  Everyone needs an Aunt Flora in their lives.  I have only seen these episodes one other time so I am enjoying Joan Bennetts protrayal of Flora very much.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 07:36:11 PM »
I agree.  I love the way Joan Bennett played this.  There's even a different lily to her voice.  All of her manorisms are different - seemed like she was having fun with this role.

I really enjoyed that.

c'ya!

Franimal

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 07:40:15 PM »
There's even a different lily to her voice

Ok  -  are you all trying to figure out what a "lily to her voice is"?   ::)Sheesh - must be working too hard......I meant LILT.

sigh.....

happy weekend.

Franimal

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 11:39:40 PM »
Actually, Fran, "lilly to her voice" is very appropriate!  I like that term - I think you've just created a new turn-of-the-words!

And I do like Miss Bennett's portrayal of our flighty cousin.  In a way, she reminds me of Carl Collins, but without the childish naughtiness found in him.

I think many of us have a Cousin Flora somewhere in our families.  Mine was an uncle's "girlfriend".  She was a nice lady, but so flighty she made Flora look like Judith Collins.

Gerard

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 09:42:35 AM »
Actually, Fran, "lilly to her voice" is very appropriate!  I like that term - I think you've just created a new turn-of-the-words!

Me too.  I think this sounds perfect!

I love J.B in this role too.  I like how she's off on her own living in a different location other than Collinwood also. It makes her seem more independant.  (and alot more happier too!!)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"