Author Topic: OT<Pop Ups  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<Pop Ups
« on: September 19, 2003, 12:56:59 PM »
Until my 12 year old daughter starting clicking on everything, I really didn't get any pop ups.

Out of control now; I really HATE the idea of having to pay to stop this...but, has anyone downloaded/purchased any of the anti-popup software?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re:OT<Pop Ups
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 03:23:35 PM »
I assume you're using Internet Explorer? Go to www.panicware.com and download the free version of Pop-Up Stopper. It's a small program and very effective. You might also want to check your system for adware/spyware. You can also get Ad-Aware 6.0 for free at www.lavasoftusa.com. It can find all kinds of advertising nasties crawling around on your computer. If your daughter's been browsing and clicking on things indiscriminately, you've certainly acquired a few.

In addition to your antivirus, it's not a bad idea to have a trojan detector/cleaner. I use The Cleaner (www.moosoft.com); it's free to try for 30 days, then I think it's $29.95. Well worth every penny. There are other anti-trojan programs, such as Tauscan (www.agnitum.com) that are very effective and inexpensive. Check out www.wilders.org for some good security program info.

If your daughter does any file sharing or chatting via IRC, there's an exceptionally high possibility of having picked up a trojan, and your antivirus might not pick it up. Trojans usually give someone else access to your computer and/or sensitive files, such as your passwords.

Are you running a firewall?

--Mark

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 08:09:52 PM »
thanks Mark Rainey.

Have a good weekend,

Patti (the unpopupless!)
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 03:03:24 AM »
Okay...on a different thread, tried to use our 'get more smilies' and the anti-pop-up hand (with line through it) appeared & I can't access add'l smilies.

MB...any thoughts or suggestions?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 04:04:19 AM »
Sorry, I don't have that program and know nothing about anti-popup software. I'm afraid you're on your own.  :(

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 05:49:43 AM »
tried to use our 'get more smilies' and the anti-pop-up hand (with line through it) appeared & I can't access add'l smilies.

Assuming that you got Pop Up Stopper, I had it very briefly-- you can read up on it to make sure, but when you follow a new link and want the stopper disabled press Ctrl first and hold it, or there's an on/off in the tool bar you can click to turn it off completely (and you turn it back on the same way).  Hope that helped.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 08:38:15 PM »
test
 [9050]

THANKS SWEETIE...

PS...Midnite...you said you had it briefly...can I ask what you have/what you do now to prevent pop-ups?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2003, 02:45:06 AM »
I had just downloaded Pop Up Stopper the day before these were posted, but hadn't installed it yet.  Meanwhile, tonight I found a site that has samples of pop-ups that one can use to test pop-up blocking.

http://www.popuptest.com/
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 11:28:04 PM »
You're welcome, Patti. :)

Midnite...you said you had it briefly...can I ask what you have/what you do now to prevent pop-ups?

I don't have a popup blocker.  I just don't feel I need it.  Only reason I had that one is because a close friend was about to pay for one and I wanted to save her the cost.

But do get thee a firewall if ye don't have one.  :D