Author Topic: Dark Shadows 1991 Revival Episode 10  (Read 396 times)

IluvBarnabas

Dark Shadows 1991 Revival Episode 10
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
As I've said, I haven't found much to say in the action in the present thus far, but I do have something to say about it in here.

Joe discovers that Carolyn is the vampire's victim when he accidentally sees the marks on her neck. She orders him to stay away from her. He follows her that night and sees her going to the vampire...who he sees is Barnabas as he feeds on her.

I'm curious to know how long Barnabas could go on feeding on Carolyn without doing to her what he did to Daphne....I mean it was one thing him attacking Elizabeth's niece, but Carolyn is her DAUGHTER....did Barnabas not think what it would do to Elizabeth if he should happen to kill Carolyn, even if that's not what he intends? I mean, Barnabas has not always had the greatest control over his bloodlust. Unless Julia has been giving her transfusions, which I suppose is possible but tend to doubt.

Anyway, Joe goes to the sheriff and tells him about Carolyn and Barnabas. I liked Patterson up until this point...but I find his reasoning of NOT going to Elizabeth on what he has found on Barnabas really screwy. All right, I can see why up until Joe came to him why he would be reluctant to name Barnabas as a suspect as the vampire in public....after all, he, Roger and Woodard DID see Barnabas in the sunlight (though granted Barnabas was seriously ill at the time). But Patterson also says that his resources have been unable to find any proof that a Barnabas Collins ever existed in England in the 20th century....shouldn't he at least warn Elizabeth that there is a fraud in her mist, no matter how much he may resemble the portrait of the 'original' Barnabas Collins (even though Barnabas is not exactly a fraud...he IS the original Barnabas Collins)?

And since Carolyn's life IS at stake here....come on, Patterson, use your brain! Stop worrying about Elizabeth's feelings towards Barnabas and start thinking about trying to save her daughter's life! I think Elizabeth would forgive any scandal about the family (even one about a so-called distant relative) if it meant saving Carolyn from Daphne's fate. I don't blame Joe for being annoyed with Patterson's insistence on finding more evidence when it could be too late any minute now for Carolyn.

Now to the past....Peter goes to Vicki's room to find her notes (and the Collins Family History Book), when Ben informs him that Barnabas is dead. I have to confess that I like Ben Loomis in here more than I do Willie....he's nowhere near as dimwitted as his descendent (I wonder if Angelique put a curse on Ben's family line...that his male descendents turn out to be bumbling fools). Anyway, Natalie confirms it. She and Peter find the book and Vicki's notes. Peter insists that Vicki would have no reason to lie and warns that they must not allow Trask to get hold of the notes or the book because it would prove to him that she is indeed the witch. Natalie agrees, but is alarmed when she reads that Josette is doomed to die on Widows' Hill....after Barnabas supposedly went to England. She and Peter are at a loss to know what to believe or not believe concerning the book since it appears to have quite a few inaccuracies.

Joshua returns from searching the woods with the men for the animal that was supposed to have attacked and killed Barnabas. Naomi is devastated at having lost another son, and it's impossible not to sympathize with her. I can't imagine the pain of having lost one son, but to lose another in such a short time has to be absolutely nightmarish.

Joshua informs the family that they will be moving to the new Collinwood as soon as possible. Abigail insists that the recent nightmarish events had to have been caused by Vicki since Angelique died before Barnabas was attacked. Andre asks her (and he makes a good point) what Vicki would have to gain by causing all the horror, but Abigail insists that no motive need be for any minion of Satan. Joshua refuses to hear any more and says he will be spreading the word that Barnabas has left for England. Natalie and Peter exchanged horrified glances. Natalie insists that they must get Josette away from Collinsport as soon as possible.

However, Josette refuses to abandon Vicki, but Natalie insists they must leave and shows her the Collins Family History Book.
Josette goes to Vicki in her cell. Vicki expresses her sympathy about Barnabas and urges Josette to listen to Natalie and leave Collinsport, but Josette is firm in her desire to stay and help Vicki out of her troubles in her upcoming trial. I like how in here, Josette actually wants to HELP Vicki, not destroy her, in sharp contrast to the OS (of course it also helps that in here Vicki, not Maggie, is the image of Josette). Josette and Vicki each start to believe they may be connected through reincarnation. Josette believes that by saving Vicki she'll save herself.

Millicent is making a fuss about her stuff getting into Collinwood. Why she's still hanging around now that Jeremiah is gone, I don't know. I would have thought that the recent horrors, including the gruesome demise of Barnabas, would have been enough to scare her to get as far away from Collinwood as possible. I mean, there are no more available Collins men. Daniel is still a child and she'll be an old maid by the time he grows up. Love how Ben back talks to her. As I've said he has spunk  about him.

Barnabas has risen from the mausoleum, where Joshua, Ben and Peter put his coffin into the secret room. He goes into the village and attacks a prosititue. He has to rush to the basement of the Old House when the sun goes up. When the sun sets, Millicent is still getting her things out of there, when she encounters Barnabas who attacks her. Angelique's ghostly form appears and taunts him that he will live like an animal for eternity and that any one who dares loves him will die. After she disappears, Barnabas prays to the heavens to help him out of his torment.

A horrified Ben discovers Millicent bleeding on the floor. The women attend to her and she calls out Barnabas' name. The men once again search the woods, with no more success. Joshua and Peter see Trask there. Trask informs them of the attack on the woman in the village and insists that her attack and Millicent's is related to the horrible attack and death of Barnabas. Joshua is outraged that Abigail told Trask of this and orders him out of the house. Trask goes but has the last word...that Vicki most certainly IS the witch and that the Lord will have His vengeance.

Barnabas rises at sunset....unable to stay awake, he goes to Josette's room where he sees her lying asleep. He is about to bite her when Millicent comes in and insist that he take her instead. Next morning Daniel and Sarah find Millicent's bloodless, lifeless body in the woods.

Andre insists to Josette that she IS going to leave with him and Natalie whether she likes it or not. Josette again goes to see Vicki in her cell, but this time Vicki is able to convince her that she must leave Collinwood for her own safety and assures her that if she leaves, Vicki herself will be all right.

Josette packs her things at the Old House. She's upset to see she has lost the music box that Barnabas gave her, but Natalie urges her to forget about the box....and Barnabas. Josette ignores this and goes to the Old House. She goes to her room and hears her music box playing. Then she turns and sees Barnabas standing there. Josette at first believes he's a ghost but he approaches her and she touches him and realizes he is real. Josette naturally wants to stay now and be with him but Barnabas says this cannot be because of the curse of his existence. He urges her to leave before it's too late for her and assures her that, somewhere in another time and place they will meet again. But Josette stubbornly refuses to leave him and insists that they must be together forever. Barnabas, unable to control himself, reveals his fangs....however, this does not phase Josette. She prepares her neck and Barnabas, unable to resist anymore, gives in and bites her. I'm glad the writers realize they needed to make Josette aware of what Barnabas is this time in the 1991 version.

Good episode.