Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0569  (Read 1519 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0569
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
Robservations #569

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0569

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
One of my personal favorite episodes, and somehow it always makes me think of Halloween, so it's cool that we're watching it now.

The Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvxtAspshM

Love the opening scene between Nicholas and Mrs. Johnson...

G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:19:51 AM »
Tom gets another chance to chomp on Julia. He almost gets a new victim to snack on...Elizabeth, but fortunately Roger and Nicholas hear her screams and get to her in the cemetery and Tom vanishes.

Did Mrs. Johnson believe in curses and evil forces before she came to Collinwood....seems to me she didn't. But then living at Collinwood for a certain amount of time and seeing all the weird stuff that happens there can make a believer out of even the most stubborn of skeptics....unless you're Roger Collins, that is.

Loved how Julia ordered Elizabeth to get out...she clearly wants to be the um, how shall I say it....the only woman in Tom's undead life and doesn't want to share him with anyone. Barnabas better hurry before Tom finishes the job on her....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Good for Mrs. Johnson, standing up to Nick on Liz's behalf.   This is the most his callousness ever shows through the sickeningly-sweet charm.   It occurred to me that despite his best efforts, utterly jaw-droppingly callous moments should sometimes come from him, considering he's supposed to be made of evil, basically.   Good Mrs. Johnson scene.  She leads up gradually to saying Mrs. Stoddard's under a spell, reluctant to voice such an idea to Nick of all people... adding reality to the story.   I'm glad Clarice got a chance to do that.  She and John Karlen seem to be the only factors anchoring the story to the ground, usually.

I liked how Tom was being all feral-vampire, then suddenly got interrupted by Roger's voice and stopped, as if he dropped the "act" for a moment...  This the most classic sort of DS moment, where you're involved in one thread and forget about the other one, but just then the two story threads collide unexpectedly.   Where else but DS could you "forget" temporarily that a vampire was roaming around, and then be surprised by having him appear to another character with her own supernatural problems?

Liz's and Julia's supernatural situations also collide very nicely.   Liz wants to unburden herself to Julia about everyone burying her alive, but Julia's too busy obsessing on her vampire master.   It's interesting seeing the two of them interact, without any clear-headed unaffected people in the room.   

Tom's coffin room....  Angelique's music appears.  Oops, wrong vampire.   Julia finds coffin, Liz enters, Julia yells her out of the room, Tom bites.   It's great hearing Julia scream and scream orders at Liz of all people.   "Get out!!!  Get out!!!"    Near-LOL at Liz thinking the coffin must be hers.   At this point, there's starting to be a similar sense to 1795 when supernatural mayhem was striking down all the characters, and chaos was resulting, and there was no hope.... but this is the presaent day, and they can't let it go that far.

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Today's scenes with Mrs. Johnson really underline how much the character has changed since her original manifestation in 1966.  1966 Mrs. Johnson thought Roger Collins was more or less the spawn of Satan.  The original Mrs. J was fairly strongly religious, or at least a strong belief was more than a little hinted at in some of her lines.  In the original Laura storyline, Mrs. J strongly disapproves of the holding of the seance or anything to do with the occult.

Her personality changes could very plausibly be explained by her experience of living at Collinwood.  I really wish they had given the character a scene where she explained to Burke, or somebody, why she had decided to stay on there.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:19:44 AM »
love, Love LOVE, the opening shot of Mrs. Johnson in the drawing room window. Leave it to Blackburn to stand exactly on her mark.

I really enjoyed this episode and it had me on the edge of my seat pretty much throughout. Except for Briscoe, everyone did a bang up job with their characters. I especially loved Clarice's work. Nice writing throughout, or at least I wasn't snapped out of my viewing trance by anything that didn't quite fit coming out of anyone's mouth.

I liked the emotional gravity of the episode too. I was really engrossed by the concerns of Liz, Roger and Mrs. Johnson, and even by Julia's yearning to be with Tom. Blair was the odd man out here but even this character was perfectly written into the action.

I got a big kick out of seeing some pink border trading card shots/stills that clearly came from this episode. It got me wondering if the Mrs. J. character got any cards in her honor. If so, I would love to have one of those.

I derived nothing but satisfaction from this episode. It brought up no issues or curiosities for me. It was purely entertaining.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
I too, loved the shot of Mrs. J through the window.  That should have been a trading card. I think there is one of her and Nick in the foyer.  Too many things happening in this house and a force trying to destroy the family.  Truer words never said out of her mouth. Elizabeth is back and talking about death and being buried alive. All good things to talk about particularly for young children who liked to play in cemeteries and had a mother who told stories about coffins being dug up with people being buried alive.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
Here's Mrs. J's quote, a massive understatement if ever there was one:

Mrs. Johnson is waiting anxiously at Collinwood when Nicholas stops by. She tells him about Elizabeth’s escape from Windcliff and says anxiously (summing up the whole series!), Too many things have happened in this house, too many things you can’t explain. It’s as if there was some force, some evil force hovering over this house, some force that’s trying to destroy this family. 

We never find out, but I think she stayed on out of love for "Davey" at first, and then she grew fonder of most of the rest of the Collinses too.

Nice scene in the foyer with Roger and Julia, who uncharacteristically faints.

Elizabeth should recognize Tom Jennings--Carolyn said he once did some wiring work around Collinwood. But he can't have been a good electrician, and most likely was an unlicensed one, because the power keeps going off during storms.

The last scene is one of my faves, and must have created quite a sensation the first time it aired. Julia finally finds Tom’s resting place--a previously unseen crypt. Elizabeth has followed her and accuses her of being in on Roger’s plot--which seems all the more plausible to her since there’s a coffin here, ready and waiting for her. Furious at Elizabeth for intruding on her rendezvous, Julia screams, Get out! Get out! Frightened and bewildered, Elizabeth finally leaves. Julia addresses the object of her desires, forlornly calling, You called to me! Why won’t you appear to me? Where are you? A voice from the shadows answers, I am here, Julia. Julia turns around with unholy anticipation to see Tom emerge from the darkness, his face full of depraved hunger. Julia removes her scarf and falls eagerly into his arms as he seizes her and strikes....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
Elizabeth should recognize Tom Jennings--Carolyn said he once did some wiring work around Collinwood.

I thought the same thing, darkLady.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 02:40:10 AM »
Great, goofy and wonderful episode.

I love the scene between Elizabeth and Julia in the drawing room - the doctor has become as crazy as the patient!

I also love Julia throwing Elizabeth off her own property. This episode really conveys a sense of the topsy-turvy world that is Collinwood.